Dunwich Heath

Lovely! !
Great foreground interest, fantastic colours and nicely composed from a low perspective.
I really like this.

"Excellent" shot Neil, I like this one very much.(y)

George.

Very nice Neil little bit of everything in this shot, love the way the colours of the ferns and heather lead you through the image. :)

An amazing image with rich light and a lovely location. And yes, these D800's are amazing bodies. I love mine.

In all honestly Steve, I had to PP this shot big time to get it to look right - kind of goes against my ethos about getting as much right in camera.

In all honestly Steve, I had to PP this shot big time to get it to look right - kind of goes against my ethos about getting as much right in camera.

D800 dynamic range is awesome.

I tend to use the histogram preview in live view, and focus through that for accuracy, takes a bit more time, but nails exposure and focus and you can move the grads to see how that effects histrogram and final image.

Even if you do pull back the shadows, at ISO100 RAW it just doesn't get noisy. I use Aperture 3, and on an APSC by 20% recovery it was showing grain. I've pulled over 50% off the D800 and its still perfect.

D800 dynamic range is awesome.

I tend to use the histogram preview in live view, and focus through that for accuracy, takes a bit more time, but nails exposure and focus and you can move the grads to see how that effects histrogram and final image.

Even if you do pull back the shadows, at ISO100 RAW it just doesn't get noisy. I use Aperture 3, and on an APSC by 20% recovery it was showing grain. I've pulled over 50% off the D800 and its still perfect.

Identical to my process Steve although I had to take things further with this shot - was quite surprised how clean it is.

Reactions: ST4
Glad to know I'm not the only to do that! Since getting the D750 (which has that exact function), I can nail a shot first time in terms of both exposure and focus. Excellent.

Glad to know I'm not the only to do that! Since getting the D750 (which has that exact function), I can nail a shot first time in terms of both exposure and focus. Excellent.

One important note is to check your RGB histogram after taking the shot - sometimes the live view histogram will show image just under ETTR, but on previewing I sometimes see clipping on the red channel.

What you use primarily, was it cropped, could you lift the shadows a little

Robin

Obviously each shot is different but in this case I had to do a bit of work to make this one appear as natural as possible for a couple of reasons.

1. Being attacked by flies.
2. Couldn't get bracketing to work on an automated basis because I forget the correct setting on the D800E.

Using ACR.
Global settings, increased exposure, decreased highlights substantially (-80), increased shadows substantially (+80), increased whites, decreased blacks, decreased clarity, added vibrance and saturation, set WB to 7300k, reduced blue saturation by -9.
Localised on entire foreground, added exposure (+1 stop), increased contrast (+52), decreased shadows, saturation, clarity.
Localised on distance tree, reduced exposure by 0.4 stops.

That's it. If I had more time on location I probably would have had to make far less extreme tweaks in post.

Last edited:
Back