South-West England Durdle Door Parking at night

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I'm going to be visiting Durdle Door and and I'd like to go at night and try and photograph the Milky Way.
I have just checked and the car park closes at 8pm and it's close throughout the night.

Does anyone know any other place to park and walk to Durdle Door please? From Lulworth Cove it is quite a steep and looong walk to get there!

Also, any other recommended nice locations for the Milky Way in the Dorset area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You used to be able to park on the road close to the junction that takes you down into the car park but it may well have been blocked off (it was 25 or so years ago that I last visited.)

Unless you can sneak onto a grass verge, Lulworth is probably the closest.

Lots of places along that coast to try from what I've looked into. You also need to think about when you go & in what direction the MW will be - If it's in the SW then that's shooting directly towards Portland from Durdle Door. South should be fine.

Thanks guys!
I have spoken to a lady from Lulworth state and she said that although the car park and access are closed to cars at night, there are places you can park off the main road and then you can walk onto the park and down to the beach....an extra 15 minutes walk but can be done.

Last edited:
There are plenty of places on the grass verge a couple of mins walk from the car park entrance...ull be fine there and probably not the only one...plus it's free.....[emoji106]
Thanks guys!
I have spoken to a lady from Lulworth state and she said that although the car park and access are closed to cars at night, there are places you can park off the main road and then you can walk onto the park and down to the beach....an extra 15 minutes walk but can be done.

I went there after Christmas to shoot the sun coming up through the arch and I parked on a grass verge on the main road at around 5am. Took me about 15 minutes to walk through the campsite and down to the beach.

Last edited:
Same I did in the end, not bad on the way down, but the 15 minute walk after the way back up the hill was not fun at 3am! ....Just kidding, it was actually OK, thought it was more of a long walk but no, just an extra few minutes.

If you want another MW location, one of our club members has a great shot of the Milky Way over Pulpit Rock on Portland Bill.

If you want another MW location, one of our club members has a great shot of the Milky Way over Pulpit Rock on Portland Bill.
Thank you Brian! I'll try there next time...definitely easier to get to than Durdle door

Thank you Brian! I'll try there next time...definitely easier to get to than Durdle door
I don't know what time of year the shot was taken, but obviously the alignment will vary with the date.

Good luck!

In a couple of weeks, I'm staying in a Wooden Pod on the Lulworth Estate to get around that issue, the camping / caravan Park next to the car park ;) Need to be off by 10am so should get a few hours kip before hitting the road back home.

In a couple of weeks, I'm staying in a Wooden Pod on the Lulworth Estate to get around that issue, the camping / caravan Park next to the car park ;) Need to be off by 10am so should get a few hours kip before hitting the road back home.

That's a good idea, I will look into it next time.

I went down to Eastbourne on Tuesday as well (2 hour drive) and despite Skylive and Apple weather telling me there were clear skies I had the same conditions as you! Seems last night (Wednesday) was the night to do it!
You can also park at Lulworth and walk over the top, doesn't take too long (20-30 mins)....
I've done it in the daytime, but in the dark and carrying a load of photo gear?

Yes, I've done it in daytime too but at night I think it's easier parking on the road by the holiday park and walk from there.

Whenever I've been there's a small car parking area just before the locked gate thru the Camp site (look on google maps). Park there, thru the gate and campsite and on to the daytime parking area. Extra 10 mins max.

Back