South-West England Durdle door

Ummmm...Durdle Dor car park? Most go on to Lulworth Cove or you could walk along the cliff path which is steep in places.

Durdle door car park is through the campsite and out on the headland. Pay for the car parking by machine.
Then you've a short walk down to the beach, steep steps down onto the beach
If you're going there, then also go to Lulworth Cove, try the Castle Inn for food, good selection of drinks (ciders etc) and they are dog friendly.

Also worth going to Tyneham village, if the ranges are open for access. When there, take the path to the coast for the walk, it's about 15 mins but worth it for the view.

Then I guess you've also got Kimmeridge bay and Corfe Castle
Have fun

Durdle door car park is through the campsite and out on the headland. Pay for the car parking by machine.
Then you've a short walk down to the beach, steep steps down onto the beach
If you're going there, then also go to Lulworth Cove, try the Castle Inn for food, good selection of drinks (ciders etc) and they are dog friendly.

Also worth going to Tyneham village, if the ranges are open for access. When there, take the path to the coast for the walk, it's about 15 mins but worth it for the view.

Then I guess you've also got Kimmeridge bay and Corfe Castle
Have fun

Didn't realise Corfe Castle was so close as for durdle door would you recommend sunrise or sunset (if we actually get some sun that is )

Ummm....not sure but I think the 'steep steps' down onto the beach were washed away? Its still accessible but a bit of a scramble down the mud bank/cliff.... (unless they've rebuilt the steps VERY recently).

Corfe Castle is a lovely sight, Kimmeridge is very interesting too and you can spend hours there taking loads of different types of stuff but make sure the tides out or you'll turn up and wonder what all the fuss is about the place!

I'm down there this Saturday evening and night and Sunday sunrise! Hoping for clear night to startrail too!!!!!

Be careful of security on gate to campsite!!!!! They can be funny buggers

dont forget the swanage to corfe castle steam train too. you can get some great shots near the castle as the train passes ( good position you may be able to capture the castle in the background.
worth checking timetables for the running times but think its several times a day
http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/

dont forget the swanage to corfe castle steam train too. you can get some great shots near the castle as the train passes ( good position you may be able to capture the castle in the background.
worth checking timetables for the running times but think its several times a day
http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/

Think got enough to keep me going for wk I'm there for just need to explain to missis now lol

I've shot the train but only trouble is the train engine is on backwards pulling the carriages going to Swanage!

My sister in law has a holiday let in corfe! The old telephone exchange

For the missus, Tyneham village is interesting, Lulworth Cove, Castle inn about 1/2 mile from the cove on the road fork is good food.
So much to do there she won't be bored provided you fit things in during the day.

However sunrise is before 5am so it's going to be a long day for you :)

Kimmeridge at low tide is great! High tide pants! There is a statue in water at monent going rusty!!!

The guy who did the angel of the north

Andrew.....

Last edited:
You'll fall over yourself for photographic spots around the Purbecks - you really can't go wrong.

The car park at Durdle Door at the bottom of the campsite is shut over night, and I can never remember when it opens - however, you can use the coach park at the top of the campsite as you'll be gone long before any coaches turn up!

The only issue is the coastline is a bit meh for summertime sunrises/sunsets as the sun rises/sets much further inland, so you won't get any nice golden hour light into the inside of Durdle Door, for instance. However, Swanage faces nicely into the sunrise this time of year.

If you are really lucky (and I wasn't last week when I was in the area) you might get the mist around Corfe Castle shot, which you'll need to stand on the west hill to face the castle & sunrise.

You'll fall over yourself for photographic spots around the Purbecks - you really can't go wrong.

The car park at Durdle Door at the bottom of the campsite is shut over night, and I can never remember when it opens - however, you can use the coach park at the top of the campsite as you'll be gone long before any coaches turn up!

The only issue is the coastline is a bit meh for summertime sunrises/sunsets as the sun rises/sets much further inland, so you won't get any nice golden hour light into the inside of Durdle Door, for instance. However, Swanage faces nicely into the sunrise this time of year.

If you are really lucky (and I wasn't last week when I was in the area) you might get the mist around Corfe Castle shot, which you'll need to stand on the west hill to face the castle & sunrise.

Lol don't even start with misty corfe! I've been trying for 5 years! Not happening anytime soon! And the mrs hates me wasting 150miles of fuel to find out it's clear as a bell

forgot to add, as no one else seems to have mentioned it. If your at Weymouth dont forget to pop a visit to Portland Bill.
as well as the light house and views they do ( or did when i was there) and informal bird walk tour . The Bird observatory is in one of the old lighthouses and the tours when iw as there a couple of years ago lasted about 2 hours and they also had live nesting cams on the cliffs too. plenty to see there and they do a half decent cream tea as well.
cheap to park and the tour was if i recall only a couple of quid.
http://portlandbirdobs.blogspot.co.uk/search

Hi taff63, been on hols to Weymouth for the past eight years and I'm still finding locations. One I found last year was abbotsbury, cheap unless you visit the swannery but worth it. It's a few miles away from Weymouth and with the old church on the hill has spectacular views of chesil beach and a sunset. Going to have a go in September. Portland is close and quiet early and cheap parking. I went in September and sunrise was at seven and I was on my own literally. Hope you have a good time, can't wait to go back!

Not sure but I think if you walk a bit further past durdle door heading away to bats head there is a stack in the sea. Looking forward to doing LE there if I can find it.

Or park on the roadside just before that and laugh at them :)

Durdle door is owned by the estate I believe and if you're a pro tog who might sell you're images the security try and stop you! I've been quizzed before by the security when down there last November when shooting the Milky Way shot above as to why .........

Hi Mark as tempting as it is ill have to say no .
But thank you anyway reason is only one holiday a yr me and partner get together as we only see each other on wknds (I'm in wales she's in Bristol ) .

My wife admits to being a camera widow!

For the missus, Tyneham village is interesting, Lulworth Cove, Castle inn about 1/2 mile from the cove on the road fork is good food.
So much to do there she won't be bored provided you fit things in during the day.

However sunrise is before 5am so it's going to be a long day for you :)
Early starts don't bother me tbh I'm normally awake by 6 even tho don't get home from work till midnight

I'm planning on going there for a night shoot during this week (hoping to arrive before sunset and leave just after dawn). What's the night time parking like at the campsite one? I saw one website that said there's no charge from 7pm-7am but also said no overnight parking. Is that more to stop people with caravans and campers rather than just an empty car there all night? I don't mind getting there early enough to pay for a ticket.

There's some great photographs of the area upstairs above the café at Lulworth Cove. IIRC it was £3.00 to park above Durdle Door which is a bargain compared most National Trust car parks. I can't recall any way that it could be closed at night.....

Steps down are fine now.

There's some great photographs of the area upstairs above the café at Lulworth Cove. IIRC it was £3.00 to park above Durdle Door which is a bargain compared most National Trust car parks. I can't recall any way that it could be closed at night.....

Steps down are fine now.
Cheers jerry will get there one day this wk would like to get down onto the beach to photograph it

We're going to Weymouth next month for a week. After reading this thread I hope my wife finds something to do while I'm out shooting :D

We're going to Weymouth next month for a week. After reading this thread I hope my wife finds something to do while I'm out shooting :D
just give her your bank card and let her explore the lanes and shops in Weymouth and if the suns out relax on the beach :p

just give her your bank card and let her explore the lanes and shops in Weymouth and if the suns out relax on the beach :p

I could do but I've just found a shop called Wessex Photo shop. I'll need it for that :snaphappy:

Back