South-West England Durdle door

I could do but I've just found a shop called Wessex Photo shop. I'll need it for that :snaphappy:
Here's the shop? We went to kimmeridge Saturday evening

Went to durdle door today absolutely breathtaking hopefully going to go on swanage steam railway in the wk .
the wife went on that about 2 weeks ago while staying for a few nights with her mum in Poole as part of there twice annual spa break.
she has a fuji bridge camera but got some cracking shots both on the train and from the platform bridge at corfe castle stop.
she said its actually better to get off at corfe than carry on on the train . also if you get the chance try and go to isle of purnbeck ( not actually an isle though ) and swannage itself is really nice.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g1907838-Activities-Isle_of_Purbeck_Dorset_England.html

sounds like your going to have your hands full as theres so much there and just not enough hours in the day to see it all.

the wife went on that about 2 weeks ago while staying for a few nights with her mum in Poole as part of there twice annual spa break.
she has a fuji bridge camera but got some cracking shots both on the train and from the platform bridge at corfe castle stop.
she said its actually better to get off at corfe than carry on on the train . also if you get the chance try and go to isle of purnbeck ( not actually an isle though ) and swannage itself is really nice.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g1907838-Activities-Isle_of_Purbeck_Dorset_England.html

sounds like your going to have your hands full as theres so much there and just not enough hours in the day to see it all.

We off to portland morrow she wants to go to the market ill go to the lighthouse lol she's happy with that thanks for the heads up Dean on getting off at corfe .

this is one of the wifes shot from the platform footbridge at corfe
( shared with her permission )

but i think someone mentioned a great viewing point near the station where you can get the steam trains coming along with corfe castle in the background.

oh one word of warning. theres a little tearoom kind of thing at corfe village that has a miniature corfe castle and various other things ( giant chess board , model train and whatnot ) all in the rear gardens.
Dont eat there.. we waited 45 mins for our food ( wasnt even busy ) and it cost us near on £50 for a rather grotty looking ploughmans ( 2 adults 2 kids ).

485577_m.jpeg

this is one of the wifes shot from the platform footbridge at corfe
( shared with her permission )

but i think someone mentioned a great viewing point near the station where you can get the steam trains coming along with corfe castle in the background.

oh one word of warning. theres a little tearoom kind of thing at corfe village that has a miniature corfe castle and various other things ( giant chess board , model train and whatnot ) all in the rear gardens.
Dont eat there.. we waited 45 mins for our food ( wasnt even busy ) and it cost us near on £50 for a rather grotty looking ploughmans ( 2 adults 2 kids ).

485577_m.jpeg

Dean is the train hop off hop on when you like or is it a fixed journey m8 ?
As for food tnx for heads up ill stick to my Mars bars lol

If you walk along parallel to the line away from Swanage station you'll come to the engine shed. You can look down on it from a road bridge or from some kind of "viewing point" opposite.

It might be possible to get some more atmospheric grimy steam railway pictures there. I usually find preserved railways too clean and shiny, probably because I grew up in the last days of BR steam when everything was REALLY grimy!

In Corfe!

I'm down there next month for a week. If I get a clear night at Durdle dooor, how long exposure am I looking at to get some good stars in?

Ummm....not sure but I think the 'steep steps' down onto the beach were washed away? Its still accessible but a bit of a scramble down the mud bank/cliff.... (unless they've rebuilt the steps VERY recently).

Corfe Castle is a lovely sight, Kimmeridge is very interesting too and you can spend hours there taking loads of different types of stuff but make sure the tides out or you'll turn up and wonder what all the fuss is about the place!

The steps were re-opened in March :)

I'm down there next month for a week. If I get a clear night at Durdle dooor, how long exposure am I looking at to get some good stars in?
It depends on the lens.
Something like 25sec ISO 3200 and F2.8 will get a lot of stars showing up.

There's a rough rule of thumb of divine 500 by the focal length to give you the amount of time you need before the stars will trail.

A 50mm lens means 10 seconds max.

It's a rough starting point anyway.

Your bigger problem is that next week the moon will be up and won't be setting until the early hours of the morning so the light from that will wash out a lot of stars.

I'm going next months so hopefully no big moon.

Hi, has anyone stayed at Durdle Door Holiday Park? I'm considering a trip to the area in September and I'm looking for some budget accommodation for a couple of nights. Trip Advisor has a fairly mixed selection of views. I'd probably go for the 'pod' option there, but I'm open to views and recommendations.

It does look quite clean and tidy ! I walked through it loads of times but not stayed there

Hi, has anyone stayed at Durdle Door Holiday Park? I'm considering a trip to the area in September and I'm looking for some budget accommodation for a couple of nights. Trip Advisor has a fairly mixed selection of views. I'd probably go for the 'pod' option there, but I'm open to views and recommendations.
I have, decent clean site, dont expect to pick up a wi-fi signal unless in the cafe.

We booked through www.ownersdirect.co.uk much cheaper than booking direct

Much nicer would be to stay at the old telephone exchange in corfe! It's a lovely 3 bed house!!!!! I'm not on commission but my sister in law owns it and let's it to holiday makers!!!!

I've booked one of the pods at the campsite, as I'm on a tight budget. Really looking forward to it now!

Quick update - the pod was very compact, around 8ft x 10ft. The photos on the website appear to show a different type of interior (hmmm...) The place itself was fine, the toilet/shower block was a very good standard, and the one meal we had at the Blue Crab (on-site restaurant/bar) was reasonable.

Unfortunately the weather was terrible, so I didn't come back with much in the way of images. I'd certainly be tempted to return.

Tried to get to Durdle Door a couple of nights ago but i was stopped by the security guard. He told me that he can't allow cars on site at night and that I have to park up the road a bit and walk through.
What's the best way to get up or is off season better?

Smart ass reply to my first post on here... I seem to always find the trolls
They are making it harder and harder to park out of car park hours, if you park here (https://goo.gl/maps/Rms5re1E9Lx) then walk back down the hill to the gates of the caravan park. Once there and through the gate, on the left is a permissive path to the beach.

Leave about 30 mins to walk down there from the moment you leave the car.

Or you can park at Lulworth Cove but man that hill is a pain and you get it both ways!

Good luck.

That sounds like a reasonable request by the security guy. The caravan site is private property.

The Durdle door is private property as well!

Back