Durdle door

Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks to the help and encouragement from @Son_of_Thor and @LeeRatters we travelled to the coast yesterday evening, had nice picnic on the beach and took some shots at sunset.

But the main reason to for us to travel so late was to stay take some Milkyway galaxy. We weren't alone on the coast but I tried to work with what I had (the fire at the bottom was some people camping even though strictly speaking its not allowed!).

All in all I am pleased with the result which by no means are the best, I know better results are possible with astro equipments etc.
Regardless I am quite happy with these for a first try. Any and all critique welcome. I hope to get out more to shoot night shots.

#1 - A1, 35GM @ f/1.4, 5s, ISO3200, 4 shots pano
51246022950_7104c76b51_b.jpg

#2 - A1, tamron 17-28mm @ 17mm, f2.8, 15s, ISO3200 5 shots vertical pano
51244249197_ca2575ed3e_b.jpg

#3 - a shot from the evening
51246029110_dbff542d07_b.jpg

Last edited:
Like them all.
#2 I like the aspect as it allows a closer shot of the milky way.
#3 I like the tones of the mono conversion....

Some people found it too blue, its certainly more natural but I guess people on the interwebz are used to the more warmed up shots (WB is literally the only difference between the two).

First one I think is exactly what I would do. Second one is perhaps a tad too far. They should be the same. In any case, lower blue saturation if needed but don't warm them up anywhere near this far. They start looking rather GREEN.

p.S. I would probably move saturation of green right down just to be sure. You don't see much green at night anyway

Last edited:
First one I think is exactly what I would do. Second one is perhaps a tad too far. They should be the same. In any case, lower blue saturation if needed but don't warm them up anywhere near this far. They start looking rather GREEN.

p.S. I would probably move saturation of green right down just to be sure. You don't see much green at night anyway

Thank you for the feedback. I do see what you mean the greens.

I think somewhere in between :)

I was reading a thread/blog somewhere not too long ago regarding WB & a lot of the 'experts' seem to agree that a daylight WB is the closest to what it should really be. But of course, because the natural eye can't fully see what the cameras can, I guess no-one really knows for sure....

EDIT - I think number 4 is the best of them personally :)

I was reading a thread/blog somewhere not too long ago regarding WB & a lot of the 'experts' seem to agree that a daylight WB is the closest to what it should really be. But of course, because the natural eye can't fully see what the cameras can, I guess no-one really knows for sure....

Quite possibly, that one looks the best edit to me too Lee

Last edited:

thank Lee, I will certainly look more into it and play with the WB and saturation more carefully. Beauty of having RAWs there isn't much problem in changing it :)

Bad of them to have a fire when it's prohibited, but I gotta say I quite like the fire being in the composition lol

Bad of them to have a fire when it's prohibited, but I gotta say I quite like the fire being in the composition lol

i agree it's not the worst thing to have. Some people has lights which was worst for the picture. Luckily they turned off the lights.
At one stage we did think about calling the police but the likely hood is we'd all be removed from the beach.

i agree it's not the worst thing to have. Some people has lights which was worst for the picture. Luckily they turned off the lights.
At one stage we did think about calling the police but the likely hood is we'd all be removed from the beach.

I am very much a beginner but I think it offers good balance. And with the blue, the orange light from the flames is very complimentary, very pleasing to the eye

Back