Beginner Durham by night

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely work on metering and exposure control.
No4 and 6 for me.

Thanks guys. I didn't expect No4 (the mono street shot) as coming out as favourite. Happy with my shots though. Really enjoyed the evening with a small group of toggers from Seaham Photography group.

To me they just get better as you go through with the last two being my favourites.

Excellent set Jason, Durham just 15 minutes from me and never get sick of photographing it. No 4 for me, know that back street well.
very photogenic all the way along.

Nice set, 4 & 6 being my picks. Especially nice to see use of the gate pillars at the castle entrance as most people (including me) start the shot from halfway up the drive although the different coloured lights on top of the pillars may be the reason why :)
I cant wait for the scaffolding to come down so I can revisit and reshoot some of mine from summer

3rd to last is easily the stand out shot here
Can I ask why? You guys are much more knowledgeable than me.
When I looked at the photo I saw too much debris in the water, which 'ive cloned out most of it, and tame reflections. It had to be lifted quite a lot as the bridge lights weren't on.
Really interesting seeing peoples differing opinions.

Can I ask why? You guys are much more knowledgeable than me.
When I looked at the photo I saw too much debris in the water, which 'ive cloned out most of it, and tame reflections. It had to be lifted quite a lot as the bridge lights weren't on.
Really interesting seeing peoples differing opinions.

The last one has twigs poking out and a lot of tree's in the frame - being winter they are bare. Bare tree's are a huge turn off for me,
The second to last has too much dark negative space on the left
The one I like has less tree's and the bridge acts as a lead in. It's a good composition

1 is good actually
2. Maybe at dusk, the swathes of dark ground doesn't work for me. I prefer a lot of midtone in my image not large areas of empty dark space.
3. The convergence - no - doesn't work
4 - good, shame about the sign on the far left, might crop that out. Again better at dusk than night I think but B&W hides that well.
5. Too much modern street furtinute tarnishes this for me. Parked car too - another pet hate of mine but very hard to avoid.

Edit - with all the cathedral shots, you'll want to go back once the scaffolding off - another pet hate.

Last edited:
Back