Durham Cathedral - evening light

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a 4 shot HDR done in CS2 merge to hdr (the first time I have really used CS2 for this). Shots taken with the Sigma 70-300 apo dg macro lens at 70mm f16, shutter speeds between 1/20 - 1/1 sec. and iso 400.
I did desaturate and lighten the yellows but only just got round to processing (quickly) so might be off somewhat.....

Durham-Cathedral-evening-hd.jpg

C&C Welcome.
TFL.
Ken.

It's an interesting shot, with some interesting light - but personally I'd like to see a little bit less shadow detail.
Location seems lovely, but compositionally it's a little bit uninspiring - to me at least. Perhaps you could have incooperated more of the surroundings? Perhaps they were ugly ;)
Having said that, this is ace postcard material. If you live in the area, I'd show it to official types at the cathedral. Or mebbe even local shops.

Looks a bit over sharpened to me. Excellent piccy otherwise and definately a framer, maybe little less sky cause as previously mentioned it looks like you've left room for 'wish you were here'. IMO anyhow.

a lovely picture, would like to see it repeated with different lighting, time of day, season etc.... (y)

Yeah thanks guys....I used an action for sharpening but didn't realise all the usm boxes were ticked. I have also desaturated the red and yellow further....
I quite like the shot and used the 70-300 because of the nearby train station, though I did take a couple of wider angles...I also had a good walk around getting the Cathedral from many different angles....not easy trying to get a shot that has been taken 1000 times before but it was a good night.....I aslo done the Quayside last night but hjaven't processed them yet.
Thanks again.
Ken.

Back