Dusted off my wide angle lens.....

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
.....and got out around the Moray Coast this weekend. First time out shooting landscapes for a while.

Any comments or CC welcomed.

1. Inverness Marina
Inverness Marina Sunset by Michael Carver, on Flickr

2. Culloden Viaduct
Culloden Viaduct at night by Michael Carver, on Flickr

3. Findhorn Bay
Findhorn Bay by Michael Carver, on Flickr

4. Yellow Boat
Findhorn Boat by Michael Carver, on Flickr

5. Findhorn Mono
Findhorn Mono by Michael Carver, on Flickr

6. Relections
Reflections by Michael Carver, on Flickr

Not much C&C I can give other than to say I love them all apart from the mono one - just doesn't do it for me. Would love to see it in colour.

What an amazing set- all of them deserve great praise. #6 is sublime, for me :)

My main question is if you can get photos like this then why did you leave the lens lying about long enough to gather dust :LOL: should be out with it every day! :D

#6 has the look of a painting, I suspect it would look good as a large print on the wall.

Thans folks - I love landscape photography, being out and about and the buzz when the elements are being kind and you know you are onto something. Lately Ive been spending my weekends shooting weddings (which I love doing too) but after a long shift all I want to do is put my feet up and relax.

My main question is if you can get photos like this then why did you leave the lens lying about long enough to gather dust :LOL: should be out with it every day! :D
He didn't want to embarrass us. :)

I love them all - Especially #3 which is weird as I normally don't like strong sun rays. FLICKR followed instantly!

GREAT shots would be happy to have any of them hanging on my wall :clap:

great set

Same as 'grayman', think they are all great although the b&w doesn't do it for me either.

Last edited:
Never like people saying great shot, great set without saying why. Seems lazy. Perhaps it's a hangover from social media.

For me, I think the impression I get is that you've been clever with your composition and positioning of the sunset and light in respect to the objects/subjects in the foreground. I'm not sure of the star trails, but the reflections of the light from the yellow boat in #4 just adds that balance to the composition. #6 looks like a painting and I think would look great on a canvas. Only minor point is I think the mast on the right side boat is still slightly warped.

Whoa Michael! I suspect you should have never let that lens gather dust in the first place!
My only crit, if you can even call it that, is that I would take some off the top of three and five, simply to get the horizons further off the 50/50.
But in all, this is a bunch of stunners.

Last edited:
3 for me pal. Did you wait around until after the sunset to see what the sky would do, in this sort of scenes the sunset can be a bit over powering and just waiting it out can often be even better.

Cheers Steve - when the sun goes down here there there is nothing in its way for another 20 miles. Almost straight after sunset the colours fade and it turns to blue.

Whoa Michael! I suspect you should have never let that lens gather dust in the first place!
I would take some off the top of three and five, simply to get the horizons further off the 50/50..

Thanks Viv but Im actually quite partial to the odd 50/50, I couldn't chop out any of that amazing sky lol

Thanks everyone else too - comments much appreciated.

fantastic shots:plus1:, I love the comp, and subject. I have to agree that I don't think the b+w works as well in this group.

Very nice , you had some lovely conditions to work with , The reflections are amazing

Great set lovely colours and composition.
Number 4 for me the small boat seems to make you want to be there

I miss my 10-22. Number 4 is great, love the colours.

Excellent set, I would be interested to know the settings for No. 2, very effective.

I really like #3, the clouds are fantastic and it's a terrific scene. The only criticism I have with this image is everything is on the right side of the frame and the everything seems a little squashed around the sun. #1 works really well and I love the composition. The light on the boat is really nice the reflection on the water in the foreground adds a scene of depth to the image.

Have to agree with most of the above comments - really great set, not so keen on the mono shot for some reason.
Really love the sky in #1 and also the cleverly placed watermark doesn't spoil any of it either.
I'm always a sucker for any startrail shot too :)

Like no 4 with the yellow boat sitting to the right adding structure to the setting with the houses sitting behind, alongside distance boats and completed with the sky do think this was well composed.
GEORGE.

Number six for me Michael it's fantastic. :banana:

Back