Duty and VAT

Edit My Images
Yes
the last time I purchased from DigitalRev they quoted price including UK Tax and Duty it appears now things have changed, I enquiried asking there customer service if I would pay tax and duty upon delivery this is the response:-

“Dear Nick,

Thank you for contacting us.

DigitalRev Store is based in Hong Kong. All prices we display do not include import tax and duty (the only exception is if you are located in the US or GCC countries, then the prices you see would have import tax/duty included).

When you buy from DigitalRev Store, your import may be subject to import tax and/or duty by the Customs of your country. Customers are responsible for any import duty and/or tax that may be levied by the Customs. To find out if there will be any import tax/duty and how much, please contact your local Customs for details. “

As in there term and conditions.

Edit My Images
No
Have a look at Hdew. They’re a bit more expensive but they ship from the U.K. so you don’t have to worry about duty and VAT as they would have already dealt with it.
'Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations, copyright and trademark laws. You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.'

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/terms.asp

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
'Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations, copyright and trademark laws. You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.'

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/terms.asp
I don’t really care what their terms say. They ship from the U.K. so you will never have a courier asking for duty before delivery. You can also collect from their U.K. offices and they will provide a VAT invoice if requested.

**Mod Edited**

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I was considering purchasing the Sony A7RIII and lenses from DR. As it is very likely I will have import duties/taxes and whatever else, I will now look elsewhere.

nandbytes

I owe Cobra some bacon
Edit My Images
Yes
I don’t really care what their terms say. They ship from the U.K. so you will never have a courier asking for duty before delivery. You can also collect from their U.K. offices and they will provide a VAT invoice if requested.

**Mod Edited**
they provide a VAT invoice for something you or they don't pay VAT for?

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
they provide a VAT invoice for something you or they don't pay VAT for?
This thread is eight months old now, but I assume you have evidence of that? If not, it's just your opinion and quite frankly, I don't care.

If they aren't paying over the VAT, that's for HMRC to deal with. Their VAT number is valid.

Last edited:

nandbytes

I owe Cobra some bacon
Edit My Images
Yes
This thread is eight months old now, but I assume you have evidence of that? If not, it's just your opinion and quite frankly, I don't care.

If they aren't paying over the VAT, that's for HMRC to deal with. Their VAT number is valid.
didn't realise it was that old since the latest post was 30+ minutes ago.

According to their term quoted above they are making you responsible for owning up and paying VAT since you are importer and not them.
I am just questioning the validity of the VAT receipt. For example a business (in photography) can claim back the VAT on their camera equipment. If they claim back the VAT they haven't paid that's still fraud isn't it?

p.s. when I say 'you' I don't mean you personally, just any customer of hdew.

Last edited:
Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
didn't realise it was that old since the latest post was 30+ minutes ago.

According to their term quoted above they are making you responsible for owning up and paying VAT since you are importer and not them.
I am just questioning the validity of the VAT receipt. For example a business (in photography) can claim back the VAT on their camera equipment. If they claim back the VAT they haven't paid that's fraud.

p.s. when I say 'you' I don't mean you personally, just any customer of hdew.
If a company has a valid VAT number and I ask for a vat receipt/invoice which has an amount of vat paid then, then yes,I would expect to be able to claim that back if it was a business related purchase. Whether or not the company are fiddling their books has no concern to me.

I buy goods from numerous vat registered businesses every day as I'm sure do you. Do you worry about whether or not they are really going to pay that vat over?

HDEW'S VAT number is valid and I have no evidence, or any reason to believe that they are not paying the VAT over and it's not for me to investigate whether they are or not.

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for the heads up on E-infinity.
Here is another tip. Their prices go up and down by a fair bit.
Watch what you are after and get them when price is low if you can wait.
For example Nikon D500 were £959 a few months back.
Now its £1009.
In a couple of months it will probably go back down.

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for Sony A7 III or A7R III, not decided yet. And the following lenses for starting.
  • 16-35mm f4
  • 55mm f1.8
  • 85mm f1.8
  • 70-200mm f4

Name
Mark Walker
Edit My Images
No
Just to add, in the last year I've bought the Canon 16-35mm L and Fuji XT20 from DigRev and I've not been charged any Duty or VAT.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Just to add, in the last year I've bought the Canon 16-35mm L and Fuji XT20 from DigRev and I've not been charged any Duty or VAT.
That's because you're responsible for declaring and paying it. The cases highlighted are those where the shipment has been caught in a random check by customs and pro-actively charged - not getting caught doesn't release you from the obligation to pay.