DXO 4 -already?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
It feels like just a few short months since I upgraded to 3 and now I get an email offer a discount to 4. So is the move from Adobe quite so sensible if I am now on a £55 per year update? I guess it is time to properly see if 4 has anything worthwhile paying the extra for.

Thoughts?

That's the key - is there anything in 4 that would change your life compared to 3

I also had the email and found this on the DxO site by way of what have they added and/or improved........................at least they have concentrated on the tools & workflow benefits not their attempts to add a DAM like tab.

This page on pricing 'lists' the additions and improvements. https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/pricing/

PS as Jason says, if PL4 does not add to your usage needs/wants then it costs you nothing and you still have PL3 unlike Adobe subscription system, where yes they have continual additions & improvements but if you stop paying you AFAIK are left with a limited(crippled?) product compared to having (like LR v6.12) a perpetual license with PL3...or PL4 going forwards ;)

Last edited:
Deep Prime denoise is the only thing that caught my attention but don't know it would be an improvement on my Topaz Denoise (not AI).

Deep Prime denoise is the only thing that caught my attention but don't know it would be an improvement on my Topaz Denoise (not AI).

Though I have not had cause to try it, I recall some folk have used PL3 prime noise reduction and then Topaz Denoise in their workflow to good effect. So, maybe Deep Prime Denoise overcomes that need for Topaz in the workflow???

I just realised that the tool layout did bother me more than I realised. Perhaps is 'the' improvement for me but will have to decide if that is enough.

So just for reference re: changes to the recommended min specs for PL3 vs PL4

PL3
Windows System requirements
• Intel Core® 2 Duo, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel Core® i5 or higher recommended)
• 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
• 4 GB available disk space
• Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1607 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft). For more information: https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015926471
• DirectX 9.0c system-compatible
• OpenCl 1.2-compatible graphics card with 1GB of video memory

PL4

• Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
• 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
• 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
• Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
• DirectX® 10-capable system
• OpenCL™ 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL™ acceleration
• NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME

PS my i5 system with its nVidia GTX 1050Ti has been fine with PL3 and Topaz products........................so if/when I upgrade I hope there will be life in the old dog yet to run PL4 with its DeepPrime

So just for reference re: changes to the recommended min specs for PL3 vs PL4

PL3
• Intel Core® 2 Duo, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel Core® i5 or higher recommended)
• 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
• 4 GB available disk space
• Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1607 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft). For more information: https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015926471
• DirectX 9.0c system-compatible
• OpenCl 1.2-compatible graphics card with 1GB of video memory

PL4

• Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
• 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
• 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
• Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
• DirectX® 10-capable system
• OpenCL™ 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL™ acceleration
• NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME

PS my i5 system with its nVidia GTX 1050Ti has been fine with PL3 and Topaz products........................so if/when I upgrade I hope there will be life in the old dog yet to run PL4 with its DeepPrime

I would seem to be okay but
NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME
has me stumped as my laptop Device Manager shows an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 & NVIDIA GeForce GT525M ... no idea how that measures up! :thinking:

Well I downloaded the trial version.
Selected a RAW file to just do a single adjustment ... DeepPrime, which it did.
Then selected export to Photoshop CS6 and sat back to carry on in CS6 ... 8 minutes later of working on it and it just stopped, ground to a halt and I couldn't do anything else with it except exit and abandon (tried it twice) :(

Well I downloaded the trial version.
Selected a RAW file to just do a single adjustment ... DeepPrime, which it did.
Then selected export to Photoshop CS6 and sat back to carry on in CS6 ... 8 minutes later of working on it and it just stopped, ground to a halt and I couldn't do anything else with it except exit and abandon (tried it twice) :(

If anything like Topaz products PL4 is more GPU dependant where DeepPRIME is concerned. NB AFAIK the DeepPRIME processing of the image is only performed on export but Prime is preprocessed. Can you try Prime and see if it behaves itself?

If so, other possibly a change of preference settings, then it might imply that your GPU is not good enough to utilise DeepPRIME :(

The joys of being an early adopter eh?
Not really an adopter, I used the trial and as it didn't work I dumped it. :)
If anything like Topaz products PL4 is more GPU dependant where DeepPRIME is concerned. NB AFAIK the DeepPRIME processing of the image is only performed on export but Prime is preprocessed. Can you try Prime and see if it behaves itself?

If so, other possibly a change of preference settings, then it might imply that your GPU is not good enough to utilise DeepPRIME :(
TBH I couldn't really see any advantage in the results (albeit small preview) of DeepPrime over Topaz Denoise to warrant the cost, so I uninstalled the trial. :)

I guess this is likely to be of more interest if you use DXO already rather than new users. You old salts are very more likely adept with Photoshop than I and I have found DXO to be more intuitive and easier to use than Affinity Photo (although I still use that from time to time) and much less clogged than Photoshop Elements. To be honest DXO scores so well with me for the geometry correction I use with viewpoint. I doubt I will ever need to use either Topaz or DeepPrime. Moving the tools is helpful and just had a play with watermarking. Still unsure if they are worth £59 but happy to bat on for a month.

I guess this is likely to be of more interest if you use DXO already rather than new users. You old salts are very more likely adept with Photoshop than I and I have found DXO to be more intuitive and easier to use than Affinity Photo (although I still use that from time to time) and much less clogged than Photoshop Elements. To be honest DXO scores so well with me for the geometry correction I use with viewpoint. I doubt I will ever need to use either Topaz or DeepPrime. Moving the tools is helpful and just had a play with watermarking. Still unsure if they are worth £59 but happy to bat on for a month.
I've used DXO Optics Pro & Photolab but never really found them to be that effective and went back to Photoshop, occasionally giving it another try but not for long.
It's not helped by the frequent paid updates ... I wanted DeepPrime to make it worth updating again but it wasn't and it's the end of the DXO road for me.

I get that. Their support desk comes over as terse sometimes also and that rankles. I find Viewpoint 3 really useful and often gets me out of trouble and it is easy to do quick edits. Often one size doesn’t fit everyone well and I understand why folk wouldn’t like it.

FWIW

There are a few upcoming PL4 webinars

I have just moved from ACDsee as they want me to get 2021 update so i am giving PL4 a go and it is also better for the R5 and RF lenses.

Back