E.Bay scam take care

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
as a long term e.bay user both buying and selling with a 100% pos feedback over a few thousand items I have seen most attempts at scams , but last weekend I very nearly got caught out selling a 24ct gold and diamond ring for my daughter ..

first off everything I sell that goes worldwide goes by the global shipping program e/bay themselves deal with it never yet had a problem . this item was included .

through the week it had a few bids with someone bidding £160 then someone came in and kept bidding it up till they passed her limit the next day they re-tracted there bids . on Saturday when it sold they then at the last few seconds put in a higher bid than the other buyer ,so far fine a bit naughty but thats business .. ,

they then never paid right away so I sent them a invoice .. being cautious with high value goods I also checked the address on google earth ( no such address) tried apple maps same reply . ALARM BELLS ringing , then I checked buyers name which again was different to the invoice .. DING DONG ALARM this time .

they then actually paid in full by PayPal the only problem being the address was in Southern Ireland , with a fictitious postcode and to get round global shipping and obviously tracking insurance they had simply added United Kingdom to the bottom line of there PayPal address ..

so even if I had sent it special delivery it would have been lost once it left the u.k .. a clever scam but I sussed it cancelled the sale ,refunded there money and informed e.bay sold the ring to the next in line who is over the moon with it .. take care folks the are out there waiting to pounce

So how was the initial buyer going to 'win' in this arrangement?

I’m confused as well, if the address didn’t exist how were they going to recover the ring ?
And then I assume put in a claime if not received to claim wth money back ?

The address exists ... with the wrong postcode ... Postie will know where it is going ... probably.

I had a similar issue with selling a low value item - winning bidder was in Ireland but added UNITED KINGDOM under the valid RoI address to get around my "UK only" setting.
I told her she would need to pay the additional postal cost and she responded with "It's OK, just send it regular RM parcels and it'll arrive no problem, I've done it loads".
I pointed out that if I underpaid for the postage then it went missing, I'd get no compensation and she'd want her money back - sale cancelled, money refunded as above.
It was Royal Mail she thought she was scamming but why would I agree?
Well done on avoiding being scammed and for the warning!

That bidding sounds like a tag team scam to keep control of the auction too.
which I believe it was .. what I didn't add was they had won it and not paid for it the week before so I had blocked them . but they must have multiple accounts as far as I can work out .something along these lines (fictitious names)
car2014-123
car2014-345
car2014-678
etc etc etc but all leading back to the same e.mail address which I only realised when I refunded there money .. it does to me sound like a organised scam .. and as AMcUK points out be careful of any sales to the ROI ..

I’m confused as well, if the address didn’t exist how were they going to recover the ring ?
And then I assume put in a claime if not received to claim wth money back ?
the invoice address was a non existent one in London , the one in Ireland would not be covered by Royal Mail insurance or proof of delivery . leaving me wide open to a no arrival claim

Actually you would be covered if you used Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed.
nope if you read the original post ALL my overseas sales are sent by e/bays own global shipping program ,never yet let me down on cameras , lenses etc as its sent on by them using there designated couriers worldwide ..
so by sending this by a different method I would be in breach of e.bays own selling methods and left without a leg to stand on with view to a claim .. by doing as your saying and sending it to a ROI address claiming to be in the United Kingdom I would be complying with there fraud .

Back