Eagle at Whipsnade

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've played around with this one for what seems like years.. I actually took it in 2013, but wasn't even playing with editing much then..

What do you think?

Eagle by Ian, on Flickr

That's a cracker.

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if you are looking for critique on the image or the editing, I think it's the latter so that's what I'll give feedback on.

Firstly, the EXIF data shows you've edited this in Windows photo editor. I'm pretty sure that's not that great and if you want to get serious about editing, find a better tool! If you don't want to pay bucks I'm sure you can find something half decent for sale on the forums here. I do most of my editing in Adobe lightroom and it's pretty good for most things other than pixel editing. If you shoot in Raw you can keep your whole workflow non-destructive too so can always go back in time and try different edits.

The other advantage to a more pro-tool would be the histogram. We can see these on our cameras but it's a great idea to keep an eye on it when editing too. Lightroom has handy shortcuts which you can use to see if you are blowing out your whites or losing information in the blacks. I think you may have suffered from this here as the top of the eagles head the whites look blown out and under the left wing looks like it is just black. You could probably get rid of the aerials they use to track the bird quite easily, I think completely removing the tethers would be a lot more advanced, probably even for me! I should add I'm on a new laptop and not the PC I use for editing so the blacks and whites may look alright on a calibrated monitor!

Oh, and one last thing. I like the image! Nice composition and the 'coming into land' pose is very well captured.

I hope you take these comments as being helpful (as they were intended) and not as criticism.

Thanks for sharing and happy snapping,

Gary

Thanks all, especially Gary! Very useful feedback - thanks... I do actually have Lightroom, but I'm currently "transitioning" between PC's, so it was just a quick and dirty edit to see if I'm going in the right direction. Having said that, I am very much a novice at the whole post-editing thing, and half my battle *is* the composition in the first place.

Back