Critique Early Morning at the Beach

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for taking the time to look at my attempt at something other than wildlife, I sort of like it but then I am not sure. It was taken at sunrise on my local beach.
f16 1/2500 iso800 85mm Prime HH

As always all comments welcomed, I can only improve with help & advice - and this is new subject for me !

sillouete.jpg

I see you've titled it silhouette, but there's a fair bit of detail there still in the shadows. I'd have been inclined to ramp up the contrast for more true blacks & whites, perhaps using a graduated filter across the beach so that you could do it without harming the sky. Boosting clarity/structure/dynamic contrast/microcontrast (depending on which editing package you use) would also help it pop a little more & reduce the dull grey texture of the sand. You could also try altering the intensity of different sections (sky, beach) by increasing/reducing the luminosity of the different colour channels.

Hope that helps.

I see you've titled it silhouette, but there's a fair bit of detail there still in the shadows. I'd have been inclined to ramp up the contrast for more true blacks & whites, perhaps using a graduated filter across the beach so that you could do it without harming the sky. Boosting clarity/structure/dynamic contrast/microcontrast (depending on which editing package you use) would also help it pop a little more & reduce the dull grey texture of the sand. You could also try altering the intensity of different sections (sky, beach) by increasing/reducing the luminosity of the different colour channels.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I use an old copy of LR5 and its a steep learning curve. I shall take my time to digest your comments and try to implement your suggestions. I am thinking it was not a great shot to begin with, too much light and I should have got myself lower. It did not help that the sand was still damp so very reflective and I should have framed without posts

Still it was fun taking pictures outside of my normal subjects, thanks again !

Back