Early morning

Aye dogs, especially those off the lead are a menace. Sorry to hear that happened to you. I hope you let the police know as under the dangerous dogs act that is a crime.

Great compositions and bags of atmosphere. You really do get the sense of being out and about at dawn in these. The bird reflection in the last one is very interesting.

Aye dogs, especially those off the lead are a menace. Sorry to hear that happened to you. I hope you let the police know as under the dangerous dogs act that is a crime.

Great compositions and bags of atmosphere. You really do get the sense of being out and about at dawn in these. The bird reflection in the last one is very interesting.
I wasn’t going to mention it but since you have, cyclists & runners are a menace. NOT saying the OP is, I don't know the circumstances (and I am sad to hear of his injuries) but neither I suspect do you. You can’t say it was a crime since you don’t know the circumstances and the OP wrote “knocked off” which doesn’t necessarily mean he was attacked :(.

Well, if it helps, I ride around country park/nature reserve near my home most mornings and am reasonably well known there. It’s shared by walkers, runners, cyclists, horse riders, you name it, everyone’s there. Fantastic place. Our Trust encourages everyone to come to and enjoy the park and also reminds visitors to behave and act appropriately and responsibly. Cyclists by and large are very well behaved as is everyone else usually, including dog owners. At that time of day, most people are regulars and we pretty much all know eachother.

It’s a huge area with lots of room for people to let their dogs off their leads and run around to their hearts content and most dog walkers when on the paths (which are part of National Green Wheel network) keep their dogs under control, some don’t. And you learn to be wary.

In this instance I was riding as carefully as usual and could see couple walking towards me, throwing ball for their fairly big dog along the path, rather than the acres and acres of open land all around us. Saw it coming, slowed a bit more but with absolute inevitability it ran after and chased ball right into my front wheel and took my bike out from under me. Sent me flying Into the tarmac. These particular dog owners showed little care and after saying ’she doesn‘t normally do that’, said sorry and wandered off, leaving me on the deck. Hip came out like a purple football, couldn't walk for a couple of days, bruised ribs, bruised chest, knee/thigh scraped raw and severe chest pain for about three weeks with difficulty breathing. Terrific!

Still she doesn’t normally do that...

It’s not the fault of the dog (although it was possibly a bit thick). In this instance it’s the thoughtless act of the human beings she belongs to. Fortunately I’m a reasonably fit, middle aged bloke. If I had been aged 5 or 75, it would likely have been much worse.

Last edited:
It’s not the fault of the dog (although it was clearly a bit thick)

I thought it would be something like that :). However I think it‘s the owners who were thick from your description. The dog expected you to avoid it as another dog would, had your bike been a dog. Not many dogs ride bikes so their experience of their capabilities is somewhat limited :).

Wonderful images and good to hear you are back out.
Lovely atmosphere and really nice compositions.

I am sick of dog owners with uncontrolled dogs and annoys the hell out me when they say "he/she is just saying hi", or "he/she is usually well behaved", or "he/she is just playing with you, don't worry he/she won't bite".
I find that incredibly inconsiderate of people.
Some people are downright terrible and should never be allowed to keep dogs as pets.
The thing about having a nice camera and lens is I have many examples of and proof of this kind of terrible behaviour and I think I'll start lodging complaints going forward.

I wasn’t going to mention it but since you have, cyclists & runners are a menace.

It's not a competition :p

Wonderful images and good to hear you are back out.
Lovely atmosphere and really nice compositions.

I am sick of dog owners with uncontrolled dogs and annoys the hell out me when they say "he/she is just saying hi", or "he/she is usually well behaved", or "he/she is just playing with you, don't worry he/she won't bite".
I find that incredibly inconsiderate of people.
Some people are downright terrible and should never be allowed to keep dogs as pets.
The thing about having a nice camera and lens is I have many examples of and proof of this kind of terrible behaviour and I think I'll start lodging complaints going forward.

It's not a competition :p
Me too. I'm all to fed up with going out minding my own business only for some dog jumping up at me, trying to knock over my tripod only for their thick as mince owner to say "he/she normally doesn't do that" or "they just want to play" or "don't worry they won't hurt you" or other such standard dog owner/lover horses***.

My experience is that of all the groups as a collective dog owners are the most inconsiderate, even more than cyclists and runners in public spaces. I cannot actually recall a time I've had a problem with a jogger, or even a cyclist say at the Kelpies but twice I've had to save a camera from some dog.

Most dog owners, in my experience, fail to grasp that others don't want their dog near them, virtually all seem to think everyone else likes dogs and that it's impossible for someone not to.

Just try asking someone to get their dog under control, suggesting they put it on the lead or even just say sorry I don't like dog's. The owner will always almost make you out to be the problem rather than acknowledge the issue. Yet I'm not the one trying to jump on someone...

Dogs should be on leads in public spaces precisely so what happened to the OP doesn't happen.

Personally I find a sturdy tripod is useful and if you pick it up, swing it gently usually thick as mince owners twig whats going to greet said dogs skull if it tries it on...although my preferred route is always to avoid dogs where I can and avoid narrow paths where I meet one

Last edited:
Real nice set of images, they capture the morning mood really well. Glad you are up and about again.

Sadly, some of the morons we share this planet with think that dogs are just toys and ignore the fact that they need training and controlling. My pet hate (sorry!) is the plebs that can’t drag there noses out of Twitface or whatever on their phones for two seconds to see what their dog is up to.

Nice set and I like the last one best, very unusual. I'm a dog owner but also agree that as a group they are very inconsiderate. I have a black Lab who was well trained but now will run off because other dog owners kept giving her treats despite me standing 10 feet away saying not to. She now associates people in the park with food so I tend to keep her on the lead. Like STP I have nearly lost my camera into the sea or rivers as dogs appear and want to play. I don't have an issue with the dogs but the owners are ignorant in the extreme usually saying it is as much my right to be in that space as yours. I point out I was there first and would he like me to bump into him on the remainder of his leisure time but they are usually think as mince. I am mortified when my dog runs up to strangers when I think we have the space to take her off lead and am always very apologetic. Very little acceptance of responsibility in society these days and am glad that the OP is over his fall and taking great pics. Hopefully you will be well enough to take the big cameras out soon

Nice set and I like the last one best, very unusual. I'm a dog owner but also agree that as a group they are very inconsiderate. I have a black Lab who was well trained but now will run off because other dog owners kept giving her treats despite me standing 10 feet away saying not to. She now associates people in the park with food so I tend to keep her on the lead. Like STP I have nearly lost my camera into the sea or rivers as dogs appear and want to play. I don't have an issue with the dogs but the owners are ignorant in the extreme usually saying it is as much my right to be in that space as yours. I point out I was there first and would he like me to bump into him on the remainder of his leisure time but they are usually think as mince. I am mortified when my dog runs up to strangers when I think we have the space to take her off lead and am always very apologetic. Very little acceptance of responsibility in society these days and am glad that the OP is over his fall and taking great pics. Hopefully you will be well enough to take the big cameras out soon

And you are a sane, reasonable and logical chap. And because of that your dog is on a lead and a trouble to precisely no-one. And that is how it should be.

I once rememeber an altercation where someones labrador ran at my tripod, so I saved the camera and got the tripod. I shrugged my shoulders at the owner and he said the usual "he's a puppy and he just wants to play"...my line was "I don't want to play and I'm sorry but I don't like dogs". He said "best way to get bitten by a dog is to show it you're scared of it". My reply "so I need to get bitten by your dog on my day out just because you won't put it on a lead"...

Another great charmer I got was when I was out walking and the dog ran towards me and jumped up, so I said to the owner "maybe you could put the dog on the lead" and his reply was "maybe you should put your mouth on the lead". The rudeness was terrible. I was minding our own business and his selfishness caused that altercation. He should be apologising to me. What I should have said to him was "maybe you should put your wife on the lead" but I didn't think quickly enough on my feet. One of my biggest regrets of this life is not getting that line in...

That is 95% of the time what you are up against. There are plenty of considerate dog owners, and they usually have the well behaved dogs. However my experience of the overall collective is they are an entitled, mouthy and selfish lot (worse than the cyclists and joggers by far) and real change needs to happen for the good of other dog owners and non dog owners.

Last edited:
And you are a sane, reasonable and logical chap. And because of that your dog is on a lead and a trouble to precisely no-one. And that is how it should be.

I once rememeber an altercation where someones labrador ran at my tripod, so I saved the camera and got the tripod. I shrugged my shoulders at the owner and he said the usual "he's a puppy and he just wants to play"...my line was "I don't want to play and I'm sorry but I don't like dogs". He said "best way to get bitten by a dog is to show it you're scared of it". My reply "so I need to get bitten by your dog on my day out just because you won't put it on a lead"...

Another great charmer I got was when I was out walking and the dog ran towards me and jumped up, so I said to the owner "maybe you could put the dog on the lead" and his reply was "maybe you should put your mouth on the lead". The rudeness was terrible. I was minding our own business and his selfishness caused that. What I should have said to him was "maybe you should put your wife on the lead" but I didn't think quickly enough on my feet.

That is 95% of the time what you are up against. There are plenty of considerate dog owners, and they usually have the well behaved dogs. However my experience of the overall collective is they are an entitled and selfish lot (worse than the cyclists and joggers by far) and real change needs to happen for the good of other dog owners and non dog owners.
I wish it were as simple as you think :(. None of the dogs I’ve had have been the least bit interested in people (strangers that is) being more interested in other matters, but if you have a puppy you are contantly assailed by well-meaning people who want to know it’s name (never tell them!), pat it or feed it etc. The only example I can remember was of a beagle puppy that for some reason was afraid to leave the house (though didn’t seem nervous in other respects) for walks and I spent days going a bit further and further until it finally clicked with him that it was OK but then he overcompensated and as he was running along he came across a couple seated on a bench and leaped into their laps :(. Fortunately it was OK and they were delighted but I don’t see how I or anyone could have foreseen it. He never did it again. Shït happens.

The reverse case I’ve frequently seen is joggers on a path running towards a woman walking a large male dog (whether on the lead or not) and not realising they look like a threat :(.

To @jamiewednesday : I shan’t comment in this thread again. I regret that your excellent set, especially #4, has drifted into a dog thread instead of getting the attention it deserves. :(. Apologies!

Back