Early mornings on the Isle of Skye

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
First time in Scotland and first time attempting landscape shots other than grab-and-go shots whilst out for walks, so more than happy for some feedback on these. Low cloud killed off a few ideas I had (the shot from above the Old Man of Storr? Not possible in 4 days!) Had an amazing time, getting up at 3am every day really paid off in terms of experiencing Skye quietly, in 4 days I saw a couple of people at most.

Z5A_3961 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Z5A_4121 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Z5A_4249 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC_2352 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

5. Lazy one, taken from my bedroom window!
Z5A_3763 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Z5A_4102 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
A lovely set, what a beautiful part of the world Scotland is (y)

As Jak said, A great set but.....................What is happening to the sky in the 2nd to last one, is it too much PP or a filter artefact ?

As Jak said, A great set but.....................What is happening to the sky in the 2nd to last one, is it too much PP or a filter artefact ?

No idea actually! Edited in the airport and haven't looked at that one close up till now. I used Luminar for these rather than my usual Lightroom.

Crit wise
1. Shooting towards the sun can be tricky - I'd lift the midtones out a bit more. Personally I'd have walked round and shot in the other direction.
2. Liking this tbh - I prefer a wider take but this long take of cleat also works well and the big sky works well.
3. I'd go easier on the blacks and contrast myself - this works better in the darker months when the sun comes up behind you lighting it for you
4. Good, I prefer a shorter exposure to retain some texture in the water but each to their own. I can live with the immediate foreground rock being OOF to retain focus on what actually matters, the distant view.
5. Lovely, and that sky. Wow.
6. Technically flawed with the blocked shadows but very emotive and one of the best of this type of shot I've ever seen, I could live with a little more mid tone pop but otherwise a1

First time in Scotland and first time attempting landscape shots other than grab-and-go shots whilst out for walks, so more than happy for some feedback on these. Low cloud killed off a few ideas I had (the shot from above the Old Man of Storr? Not possible in 4 days!) Had an amazing time, getting up at 3am every day really paid off in terms of experiencing Skye quietly, in 4 days I saw a couple of people at most.

Z5A_3961 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Z5A_4121 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Z5A_4249 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC_2352 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

5. Lazy one, taken from my bedroom window!
Z5A_3763 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Z5A_4102 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Nice set. (y)

Crit wise

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I did have a version of 6 with the shadows lifted on the hills but I felt that lessened the impact of the sun rays.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I did have a version of 6 with the shadows lifted on the hills but I felt that lessened the impact of the sun rays.

I'd leave the shadows where they are - the mid tones. If you use curves, I'd stick a point in to lock the Black Point, shadow point (1/4 up) and then lift up the mid point.

If you use sliders, just use the highlights and mid tones one, and it should pop more.

Back