East Fortune Airshow

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
First time shooting an airshow down at East Fortune at the weekend. Panning lark harder than I thought it would be. Pretty pleased with these. Would welcome advice/ comments on whether there is enough prop blur for the mustang or whould it be the full circle that you look for.

Any other comments welcome.

Mig-1 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Mustang by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Bloody GREAT shots. If these are you first attempt, then it's all down hill from now on!
Dont think I can fault em, and its SO easy being an armchair critique.

Certainly great shots for a first airshow(y)

The degree of prop blur is subjective, my preference is for a little bit more than the Mustang shot but not a full "disc". What SS were you using?

GC

I normally use 1/160th for props under load but it is entirely a personal preference and they are both great shots.

GC

Hey

Great shots... I struggled on sat there as had the kids with me too and well for me... family and photography dont really mix!

What camera/ lens combo did you use to get so close... or are these cropped images. My 6d mkII with 70-300 L series lens just isnt really enough firepower. Defo thinking of getting the sigma 150 - 600mm. Id love a beter canon L series but my budget just doesnt streatch that far.

I love you can actually see the pilots! Did you get any good shots of the Reds... have to say find watching/ photographing them such a great experience.

When the typhoon came on my youngest even though he had full on ear defenders just freeked out and I had to take him inside the concorde shed and right inside concorde just to get him away from the noise. Poor wee thing he was distraught.

Thankfully I've secured a weekend pass from the wife for a day at the AYR airshow in a few weeks. Just me!

I normally use 1/160th for props under load but it is entirely a personal preference and they are both great shots.

GC

First time and i had done a bit of reading suggesting 320th or 200th of a second so stuck with that this time. Will adjust next time

Hey

Great shots... I struggled on sat there as had the kids with me too and well for me... family and photography dont really mix!

What camera/ lens combo did you use to get so close... or are these cropped images. My 6d mkII with 70-300 L series lens just isnt really enough firepower. Defo thinking of getting the sigma 150 - 600mm. Id love a beter canon L series but my budget just doesnt streatch that far.

I love you can actually see the pilots! Did you get any good shots of the Reds... have to say find watching/ photographing them such a great experience.

When the typhoon came on my youngest even though he had full on ear defenders just freeked out and I had to take him inside the concorde shed and right inside concorde just to get him away from the noise. Poor wee thing he was distraught.

Thankfully I've secured a weekend pass from the wife for a day at the AYR airshow in a few weeks. Just me!

D850 with sigma 150-600c. These are cropped. I locked the lens at 500mm as i think it gets a bit soft after 500mm.

Havent been through the reds ones yet, not had a lot of time.

I was there with my nephew and his 6 yr old son- he had all the child care responsibilities- that was the call for the father of x to go to information you might have heard. My nephews boy at end said he liked the typhoon best, when its bum was on fire it made his willie rattle!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I would not worry about trying to get the full circle as you are looking at shutter speeds around 1/60th. When I shoot props I start around 250th then work my way down trying different speeds. I do this so when I get home I hopefully have a few to choose the best image. In the past I have made the mistake of trying for full circle and ruined the shots as the plane wasn't sharp or areas out of focus. So for me that's why I tend to keep trying different speeds.

Nice couple of images. Have been shooting airshow for a few years now and never gets easier hehe.

Great shots. Can anyone explain why the prop on the mustang looks like it does? i.e. the thick central blade with blue either sides?

My guess is the leading edge and trailing edge being frozen as the front and rear shutter open/close? Am I completely wrong?

Great effort, especially for a first attempt
1/160 is a decent speed, although it will produce different effects for different aircraft/helicopters at differing speeds and load.
Also remember, at lower speeds, hand holding or panning become much more critical.
Practice, practice and practice.
This is so much better than my first attempts...!

Great shots. Can anyone explain why the prop on the mustang looks like it does? i.e. the thick central blade with blue either sides?

My guess is the leading edge and trailing edge being frozen as the front and rear shutter open/close? Am I completely wrong?

I think it’s to do with the propellor pitch and the angle. The solid section is where there’s a piece of prop always in that area through the exposure and the opaque sections are where the leading and trailing edge move. All four blades have a different arrangement based on the different angles to them.

I might be completely wrong but the same thought crossed my mind

Great effort, especially for a first attempt
1/160 is a decent speed, although it will produce different effects for different aircraft/helicopters at differing speeds and load.
Also remember, at lower speeds, hand holding or panning become much more critical.
Practice, practice and practice.
This is so much better than my first attempts...!

Thanks.

Smooth panning is something i’m going to have to start working on i think

I would not worry about trying to get the full circle as you are looking at shutter speeds around 1/60th. When I shoot props I start around 250th then work my way down trying different speeds. I do this so when I get home I hopefully have a few to choose the best image. In the past I have made the mistake of trying for full circle and ruined the shots as the plane wasn't sharp or areas out of focus. So for me that's why I tend to keep trying different speeds.

Nice couple of images. Have been shooting airshow for a few years now and never gets easier hehe.

I have a few where i went too slow and could see how blurry they were on back of camera so upped the speed again within something i could deal with

I think it’s to do with the propellor pitch and the angle. The solid section is where there’s a piece of prop always in that area through the exposure and the opaque sections are where the leading and trailing edge move. All four blades have a different arrangement based on the different angles to them.

I might be completely wrong but the same thought crossed my mind

I think I know what you mean, and I agree *thumbsupemoji cheers

Back