Easter in the Lakes

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
4 days off work, 3 of those spent in the Lake District. Blessed with some interesting light on the first and third trips, whereas the second day was beautiful and sunny, but at Haweswater, the light was too harsh to make for interesting shots. Still It is somewhere I intent to return to for sunrise.
A selection of shots from the weekend.

1) Jetty at Brandlehow on Derwent Water
16834554298_eb8209d817_b.jpg

2) Borrowdale from Catbells
17074919281_a41ab9582a_b.jpg

3) Haweswater - Harsh light, which doesnt work, but a location I intend to revisit at first light
16889407739_7ba33c82fe_b.jpg

4) Ullswater Sunset
16455489263_e0f3983027_b.jpg

5) Helvellyn at Moonset
16868265477_29f2c6f7a5_b.jpg

6) Cloud inversion from Hole in the Wall
17049718966_0b7e634a7c_b.jpg

7) Coniston from Helvellyn at Sunrise
16888094600_d8466203d1_b.jpg

8) Sunrise over a cloud Inversion
16887901518_abe364a019_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Like the last 2 cloud inversion shots and the sunset at Ullswater, its a long time since I saw the top of Helvellyn but worth the effort for those shots

The last three images really stand out for me. That must have really been something to see before you.
Over all, a lovely set of images. No wonder you're chuffed with them.

Stunning pics, must of been up early!

Thanks Daymouse - It was a 2.30am alarm, hideous drive through thick fog to get there, but when we broke through the cloud. it was pretty special!

Like the last 2 cloud inversion shots and the sunset at Ullswater, its a long time since I saw the top of Helvellyn but worth the effort for those shots

Thanks very much. It was my first time up Helvellyn, so really good to have experienced it first hand!

Very impressive images. Well done Matty.

Thank you very much Andy. Appreciated

Good stuff :)

Thank you!

Great stuff Matt,and well done getting up helvellyn at that time in the morning

Thanks, it was easier than it sounds to be fair. No one else on the paths, and the promise of a sunrise helps the leg work a bit too!!

Cracking set that Matt

Thanks - I'm pretty happy with them - It was a great weekend

#6 #7 #8 are fantsctic I bet you where happy Matt

Thank you Kevin - Pleased with some of these for sure. I've got the bug for this mountain business. Spent last night bivvying at Scales Tarn, before doing Blencathra for sunrise. Seriously good fun!!

The last three images really stand out for me. That must have really been something to see before you.
Over all, a lovely set of images. No wonder you're chuffed with them.

Thank you very much. Certainly the conditions on Monday at Helvellyn were something else. I quite like the feel of the cloudy shots from the start of the weekend. Just feel lucky to have such great landscapes within striking distance

Thank you all for taking the time to view and comment. Much appreciated!!

Liking 6, 7 and 8 Cloud inversion always reminds me of skiing

You're right Mark. I worked out in the Alps for a good number of years. The cloud inversions there are immense, but I wasn't into photography back then, so I have very few records of them. It always seemed like too much of a pain to carry a camera around when snowboarding!

That's a really inspiring set Matty. My lovely other half is taking me up to Ambleside next week for two days and I'm really looking forward to it. My health won't allow me to walk up any mountains though so I'll have to make do with places I can drive up to. Hardknott Pass looks worth a try, but any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Top set, Matty - Well done √

Thank you Charles - Quite happy to have such a variety of shots from a single weekend.

7 and 8 are my favourites, Matty.

Thank you Philip - The cloud inversion was pretty special, and made the night time ascent of Helvellyn more than worthwhile!

That's a really inspiring set Matty. My lovely other half is taking me up to Ambleside next week for two days and I'm really looking forward to it. My health won't allow me to walk up any mountains though so I'll have to make do with places I can drive up to. Hardknott Pass looks worth a try, but any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you for the kind words Richard. The great thing about the lakes is that you have amazing views both at low level, and high level. Certainly I would recommend taking in as many of the lakes as you can. If you head to Keswick, you can drive up very close to Latrigg, which offers good views of Keswick and Derwent Water. It is only a short walk up to the bench at Latrigg, which may be an option for you? In addition, Castlerigg Stone Circle is accessible from the road, and gives you a lovely view down the valley towards Thirlmere. I believe there is a carpark about 1000ft high on the way up to Skiddaw, which may be worthwhile, if you would like to get some elevation. I haven't been, but I have heard about it from a number of people. Hardknott Pass is certainly worth visiting. If you walk round the Roman fort ruins, you are offered some great views. Similarly, the other high passes in the Lakes would give you the opportunity to gain some elevation, while not relying upon walking to a viewpoint. Kirkstone Pass, Kirkstone Pass and Wrynose Pass would all be worthwhile considering. Hope this helps a bit. As I mentioned before, there are so many splendid views at low level, that I am sure you won't be disappointed. Most of all. Have a great time!!

Thank you Charles - Quite happy to have such a variety of shots from a single weekend.

Thank you Philip - The cloud inversion was pretty special, and made the night time ascent of Helvellyn more than worthwhile!

Thank you for the kind words Richard. The great thing about the lakes is that you have amazing views both at low level, and high level. Certainly I would recommend taking in as many of the lakes as you can. If you head to Keswick, you can drive up very close to Latrigg, which offers good views of Keswick and Derwent Water. It is only a short walk up to the bench at Latrigg, which may be an option for you? In addition, Castlerigg Stone Circle is accessible from the road, and gives you a lovely view down the valley towards Thirlmere. I believe there is a carpark about 1000ft high on the way up to Skiddaw, which may be worthwhile, if you would like to get some elevation. I haven't been, but I have heard about it from a number of people. Hardknott Pass is certainly worth visiting. If you walk round the Roman fort ruins, you are offered some great views. Similarly, the other high passes in the Lakes would give you the opportunity to gain some elevation, while not relying upon walking to a viewpoint. Kirkstone Pass, Kirkstone Pass and Wrynose Pass would all be worthwhile considering. Hope this helps a bit. As I mentioned before, there are so many splendid views at low level, that I am sure you won't be disappointed. Most of all. Have a great time!!

Matty,
That's excellent information and I really appreciate the advice. (y)

Great set

Thanks very much. It was good to spend so much time over there

A very nice set indeed, really like no.6.

Thanks, I think #6 is up there with my favourites from the weekend too

A really excellent set.

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

Lovely set can't really add any more to what already been said only to agree with it.

Cheers Graham, i got lucky with some great light at times

Not a lot I can add to what's been said, love the cloud inversion ones, a real out of the ordinary view (y)

Thanks mate, its always stunning being above the cloud level

Gorgeous mate, especially the latter images.

Cheers buddy. The cloud inversion shots were icing on the cake after a lot of hard work, climbing Helvellyn in the dark

Matty,
That's excellent information and I really appreciate the advice. (y)

Not a problem, hope it gives you a few ideas for your trip! Enjoy

Fine set

6, 7 & 8 are my personal favourites with 7 just taking top prize.

Beautiful
Thanks very much!

Last 3 are beautiful, is great when such effort is rewarded with views like those!

It is great when it all works out, I don't think id have felt quite as vindicated if I had been greeted by cloud at the top!

I do like this set!! 1st pic is my favorite

Thank you Gerald, was quite a weekend! Im heading to Glencoe tomorrow for the next Bank Holiday photography mission! Can't wait. Thanks for your input

#8 is a beauty but the rest are of excellent quality too. Looks like a great few days up there!

:plus1: Excellent set, especially No one :)

Thanks very much, Im pretty content with this first shot, as it doesnt appear to have been shot to death in this composition!

Absolutely fricken awesome. Jealous much!

Cheers Buddy. Lots of effort involved to get the shots, but worth it in the end!

#8 is a beauty but the rest are of excellent quality too. Looks like a great few days up there!

Thank you Mark, very much appreciated. Starting to see a bit of improvement in my landscapes Appreciate your feedback. It was a great few days! Can't wait to go back

Just fabulous shots, stunning location

Many thanks, very much appreciated!

Back