Critique Easy Peelers

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Off of the feedback I received last time posting @The Big Yin

Last night I tried again, as was mentioned, there was no way easy way to peel these little critters.

Anyways this is what I managed.

I have one with bits of pith on the base which I thought looked ok but my better half reckons this cleaner version is better.

Any feedback would be most welcomed.

Gaz

Older post.

Last edited:
Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
I like the light better on this version and the peal does make it a bit more dynamic.
I don't mean to be a pain, but do you think you could add the photo from your other thread, just as a comparison?

TheBigYin

Staff member
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Apologies for the repetitive behavior.

I used these Tangerines as a stand in before the Viennese Whirls were baked.

In retrospect I quite liked them so thought I would put them up here for feedback. Previous critique as been great.

Any feedback would be most welcomed.

Gaz
Think this was the one in the last thread... ;)

TheBigYin

Staff member
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Much Better IMO - not just the "peelings" but also the way the fruit are "oriented" - maybe this batch are more "flattened spheres" and it shows the different tilts from their axis, but the different shapes caused by the various tilts also adds visual contrasts within a still unified grouping. I also like the way that the peels of the oranges are slightly "slicker" looking - with the peeled ones being shown I can almost smell the orange oil in the air from the skins...

Slight nit-picks... I'm missing the leaves ever so slightly from the first shot. And, maybe its just me, but is there a very slight "hot spot" from a reflector on the "dark side" of a couple of the fruit? Of course, that's a downside of the sheen on the fruit this time. For a lot of my still life stuff, I'd use a single softbox for the light source (often with a gobo on it to "fake" a sash window) and would have a really "dark side" that I'd need to get a little light back into - often i'd use a gold reflector rather than a white/silver one, sometimes with a old (deliberately) tea-stained net curtain thrown over it to diffuse the reflection ever further. That may work with something orange - of course, there's always using some form of "matting" spray on the "dark side" - though, my old standby of hairspray isn't exactly food safe... Bear in mind though, my advice was based on the fact I was actually trying to get everything "right in camera" technique wise so I could eventually shoot the images on LF Film, and frankly with digital, a little colour dodge/burn may be all thats needed....

(never did get up to the standard I wanted to before I hit a change in circumstances that basically stopped me shooting almost entirely, but that's a thread diversion I'd rather not take...)

OP
C
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I like the light better on this version and the peal does make it a bit more dynamic.
I don't mean to be a pain, but do you think you could add the photo from your other thread, just as a comparison?
Thanks Dominic it's reasuring to know i'm learning as I amble along.
No problem i'll try find it and add it in.

@TheBigYin
Thanks Mark.
It is good to read that you think there is an improvement. I did take some time trying various fruits in different positions rather than just throwing them down,

Slight nit_picks are great I will never get this stuff correct " if there is a correct" with out the feedback i'm getting from the users on here.
The hot spot did not enter my mind until I was driving back from my Mum's an hour or so ago. Logged in here, too see you had picked up on it.

I have just had a try at hiding it a little.

Hopefully it looks a tad less bright.

Better or worse ?

Almost forgot. I did buy the one's with leaves but I just could not get a composition that looked balanced with them in the frame.
they defeated me !!!!!

Last edited:

sirch

Official Forum Numpty 2015,FPOTY 2020
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
The presence in the first is excellent, I really could reach in an pick one up, well worth the effort.

OP
C
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
The presence in the first is excellent, I really could reach in an pick one up, well worth the effort.
Thanks Chris.

If you felt that viewing the photo I am very happy.

Gaz