Ebay purchase that I didn't make!!

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I suspect I am not alone in having received my fair amount of scams etc posing as eBay/paypal however what happened yesterday was nonetheless a shock and something that I've not experienced before.

I received an email notification / formal bill for £38 from eBay UK to make payment for an Xbox game ( download) that I had not made.

Immediatley I thought of scam, however when I logged into my eBay acct ( EBay FR ( I live in France), sure enough the sale was there.

I contacted the seller who initially told me that I had to request a cancellation of the order, something that the listing would not let me do, stating, when I tried, that it was to late to cancel!!

Fortunately the seller accepted that I needed him to do the cancellation not that I would have paid for the item anyway.

I have absolutely no idea how the "purchase" came about as I definitley did not make it.

Even if I had made an accidental purchase it would never be for a video game as I don't have any interest in them.

Has anyone alse experienced a similar scenario and if so, was it some sort of scam?

I hope it doesn't happen again as tbh I found it a little unnerving.

I think you should change your password as a matter of urgency!

Unbelievable, I have just this minute received the same again demanding payment but this time for an Xbox live 12 month subscription for £30 from a different UK seller

What on earth is going on?

Go to Ebay safety center and report it immediately!

Go to Ebay safety center and report it immediately!

I'm going round in circles trying to obtain a direct contact tbh.

Everything returns me to an automated "advice" page or to the "Safety Center" which other than changing passwords, states to report to the "Action Fraud"

I'm not interested in reporting a fraud, I just want to be sure that these false purchases come to an end

Well unless someone can link me to a direct contact method with a human being at eBay, it seems like I'm talking to an automated system that doesn't wish to help me much with this issue!

I've contacted the seller to request cancellation of the 'purchase' and I hope that changing my passwords will bring a halt to further incidents.

you have to go through the automated systems till you get to a part that gives phone numbers I find its best to get them to call you back .

Contact obtained with ebays customer service ….I await their reply to my email!

I know this is one area of the internet that is very disturbing but how do these "people" manage to hack into accounts when passwords like mine are strong in the first place?

you have to go through the automated systems till you get to a part that gives phone numbers I find its best to get them to call you back .

For whatever reason, out of the two options of contact; email and telephone, only the email was active…..No worries, I've made contact and ensured that I received a copy of the message sent.

A waiting game now I guess.

Just a point. If you use your old password (or something similar) for any other sites or services you may want to change them as well. They will be trying your email and password combination everywhere.
In addition when you think an account has been hacked make sure your recovery email and phone number are still correct. Also change any security questions and answers. If you dont you may find they just change your password again, which gives them access once more and locks you out.

Just a point. If you use your old password (or something similar) for any other sites or services you may want to change them as well. They will be trying your email and password combination everywhere.
In addition when you think an account has been hacked make sure your recovery email and phone number are still correct. Also change any security questions and answers. If you dont you may find they just change your password again, which gives them access once more and locks you out.

Yes the recovery email and tel number are ok ...atm!!

Password and security questions with both eBay and paypal have been changed

Thanks for the other advice…...Maybe I've been lucky and never experienced being hacked liked this…..It is not a pleasant experience!!

Yes the recovery email and tel number are ok ...atm!!

Password and security questions with both eBay and paypal have been changed

Thanks for the other advice…...Maybe I've been lucky and never experienced being hacked liked this…..It is not a pleasant experience!!

I run my own IT support business. Unfortunately I deal with victims of this and scams on a daily basis.

I run my own IT support business. Unfortunately I deal with victims of this and scams on a daily basis.

:wideyed:

I doubt that even having this issue as a daily occurrence and being more aware of the signs than maybe such as I can make it any more pleasant to deal with.

I'm not naive to believe that these issues don't exist and that the scum behind them can be very clever at getting into other peoples details but it has, made me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Going on your advice I've checked through my other passwords for other sites ( I don't note them in full, just a personal subtle hint is marked in my "little book" which give no indication to the passwords except to me ), and as far as I can see the old ones used for my eBay & PayPal were unique to those sites.;)

:wideyed:

I doubt that even having this issue as a daily occurrence and being more aware of the signs than maybe such as I can make it any more pleasant to deal with.

I'm not naive to believe that these issues don't exist and that the scum behind them can be very clever at getting into other peoples details but it has, made me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Going on your advice I've checked through my other passwords for other sites ( I don't note them in full, just a personal subtle hint is marked in my "little book" which give no indication to the passwords except to me ), and as far as I can see the old ones used for my eBay & PayPal were unique to those sites.;)

If you want to feel more comfortable try this.
Sites that link directly to your bank are the danger. Either A. Use a credit card (where you have more rights). Or B. Link it to a buffer account. I use a business account that usually has £500 or less in it.

Sites that link directly to your bank are the danger
No offense but that's a bit of a simplistic statement. There are some common sense things to check first (valid ssl, verified by visa, mastercard securecode, Worldpay 3d secure etc etc etc) but sites should not generally be "dangerous" to use a bank debit card.

I assumed he meant not that the bank-linked sites themselves are the danger, but if they are compromised by a third party.
Instead of having all your eggs in one hackable basket, link to an egg cup instead.

Nearly got scammed myself tonight selling some jewellery for my daughter , buyer from Southern Ireland tried to get round e.bays global selling program by adding United Kingdom to there address . Refunded athemand it also turned out to be a blocked bidder that tried to scam me the week before . You have to be on your toes ..

The best advise I have seen on here so far is to use a buffer account mine has £5 max in it at any time

I assumed he meant not that the bank-linked sites themselves are the danger, but if they are compromised by a third party.
Instead of having all your eggs in one hackable basket, link to an egg cup instead.

Exactly. Im only talking about if the account is compromised.

I use a credit card for online purchases that has no links to my bank account and a low credit limit, balance paid off monthly

Not seen it in the advice above but I would also(in addition to changing the eBay, PayPal and email account passwords) be running anti virus/malware scans on the computers involved as a precaution.

Exactly. Im only talking about if the account is compromised.
The "buyers" own account you mean?

Well, sure. But for that to happen you're looking at malware and/or compromised Bank details or credentials (entered onto a malicious page via malware or phishing, or email and passwords compromised via another vendor). Which is most likely what happened with the OP I'd wager (I'm assuming ebay and PayPal passwords were different which stopped them completing the sale).

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone else in your home have access to your computer? Family member etc?

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone else in your home have access to your computer? Family member etc?

Nope, not unless you count the cats…...They're quite crafty but I think hacking my computer is above their capabilities! :LOL:

Your not the only one, I had my NTLworld and Amazon accounts hacked last year. Like an Idiot I used the same password.

So......

They hacked my Ntlworld account then trotted off to my Amazon account and did a password recovery.

They then locked my out of my Ntlworld account so I got no order email, ordered a phone and put it in the hidden purchases on Amazon.

The only way I knew was when I got a delivery notification on my phone after just thinking I'd forgotten my Ntlworld password and did a recovery on that account. I received a £350 mobile phone.

Amazon being the dicks that are accepted a no delivery and then sent another phone to some address in Belgium " go figure "

In the end Amazon paid my account back along with a little extra for my trouble.

Long story short, don't get too frazzled it can and does happen to anyone, and it makes matters worse for me that I've been in IT since 1977 :D

Your not the only one, I had my NTLworld and Amazon accounts hacked last year. Like an Idiot I used the same password.

So......

They hacked my Ntlworld account then trotted off to my Amazon account and did a password recovery.

They then locked my out of my Ntlworld account so I got no order email, ordered a phone and put it in the hidden purchases on Amazon.

The only way I knew was when I got a delivery notification on my phone after just thinking I'd forgotten my Ntlworld password and did a recovery on that account. I received a £350 mobile phone.

Amazon being the dicks that are accepted a no delivery and then sent another phone to some address in Belgium " go figure "

In the end Amazon paid my account back along with a little extra for my trouble.

Long story short, don't get too frazzled it can and does happen to anyone, and it makes matters worse for me that I've been in IT since 1977 :D

So does regularly changing passwords ( for eBay, email, amazon or whatever) and ensuring that the same password isn't used for several different companies / retailers help to keep this problem at bay?

It appears to be quite a nightmare to ensure it doesn't happen!

Different passwords for every account is good (so long as it's not UniquePassword01/UniquePassword02/UniquePassword03/etc.).
Regularly changing them is no longer recommended, as it encourages people to adopt the above methodology.
You only need to change one if there's evidence the account's been compromised.

Interesting to see that within the past 6 months these three feedbacks have been received by the seller of my present "purchase" ( For privacy I've kept the details shown here to a minimum):

item already sold
e***e ( 1426
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Membership 1 Year Subscription (nº153457070278)30,00 GBP

SELLER CANCELLED ORDER AFTER 2 DAYS WAIT. NO CONTACT WHATSOEVER. UNTRUSTWORTHY!
p***h ( 3152
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Membership 1 Year Subscription! (nº153398343619)30,00 GBP

iconNeu_16x16.gif
Cancelled item and didn't message me
f***6 ( 196
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Membership 1 Year Subscription (nº153398343891)30,00 GBP

The sellers original listings state:
The code will be sent via eBay message upon payment being received.
Did those buyers actually pay, or were they hoping it'd come through anyway, and they wouldn't have to?

The sellers original listings state:

Did those buyers actually pay, or were they hoping it'd come through anyway, and they wouldn't have to?

I don't think any payments were made.
Reading the feedback it seems that their orders were cancelled by the seller…..I wish he/she would cancel mine as i've just received another darned reminder to make payment!

Just a quick update.

Received a reply this morning from eBay ….actually from a human being!! lol

My acct has been 'secured' and I have re initiallised my passwords again ( with much stronger / complicated ones) as suggested by the customer support team.

The fact that I'll probably lock myself out of my eBay, Paypal and email accounts cos I can't recall the letters and digits of the passwords is of course a minor detail!!! :LOL:

Back