Ebay rant - misleading listings and returns

Name
Spencer
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a rant....

Mrs OutLore ordered a paper binder from an ebay private seller, won the auction at a good price, and paid instantly. The item is kinda heavy, and had £8 postage on it. When it arrived, it actually cost £9.50.

The item was listed as "new" - and in the listing the seller had put "brand in box" (they have trouble with english)

However, when it arrived, it's used (has paper stuck in it), and is damaged and not working at all. So, she mails the seller and tells them. They offer to refund the cost of the binder and the original postage, but not the return postage.

A few mails go back and forth, so I open a dispute - which Ebay respond to immediately with the fact that we have to send the item back at our cost, recorded delivery (cost £11.76)!! Further communication with Ebay result in them simply copying the original response back to us.

So: the lesson - if you get something which is damaged, or is not as listed, deny you got it at all or it will end up costing you money!! Way to go Ebay, encourage your sellers to lie in their listings. (He says it was unopened, yet now via email says he checked it and there was no paper inside it)

Rant over - but be warned, if you're honest when you complain about stuff, it will probably cost you. If you lie, you'll probably be better off.:bonk:

yet one more reason to stop using s***ebay :razz:

Had something similar, bought a lens on ebay, when it arrived it had fungus on the front element, after much tooing and froing of e-mails the seller eventually agreed to take it back and refund my payment. I'm still £21 out of pocket though on the return postage.

i got stung with a seller who refused to reply, ebay made me send it back recorded delivery and the tospot refused to sign for it, ebay closed the dispute and basically told me where to go. it was only a £5 item, but its a kick in the teeth when you add £2 to never see it again.

as you say, deny ever getting it if thats the case so you get a straight refund.

even though it had a return addy i have never seen it again.

I can kinda understand it if there's something in the listing which can be taken 2 ways - but a response of "Yes, I made a mistake with the listing. It's Ebay's fault, I didn't want to list it as unopened, just new." in an email which Ebay have seen makes me madder than hell!!!

Ebay and Paypal are just a bunch of con merchants who have no idea. I was almost stung, I sold a phone, 6 weeks later (with no communication) I received a Paypal dispute - not as described. Phone sent back, and it was actually a different one, but no way of recording that! Paypal then claimed £300 from me, I refused to pay and have not paid some 18 months on. I kept emailing them and they kept replying without having read the email. Ironically, I did then sell the phone and offered paypal the £200 in final settlement and they refused, so I am actually up on the deal, although no paypal acct now.

Avoid at all costs imo, unless you really know how to play the system.

Back