Ebay!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Well i've never had anything like this happen before! :help:

I sold a bass guitar on ebay which was in good condition, yes it had a few small dints in the paintwork. but they were old, polished flat again by use and none of them had cracked the paint, what i'd call insignificant dents. anyway i posted it off in a hard case wrapped in cardboard.

The buyer got back to me and said, it's not in the condition i expected, i'm a collector etc. i had said in the advert that it was "as it left the factory" but in the same sentance as condition and i really meant that it's specification was as it left the factory, he sounded pretty p*ssed off about this saying he was mislead. He also wanted to send the guitar back, so to stop it getting nasty i agreed.

Now the guitar came this morning and it does have some dents that have broken the paint and some scuffing too, which definatly weren't there when i sent it. You can tell they are fresh because all the damage on it before were worn and polished smooth around the edges by clothing but these are still jagged where the paint has been broken and exposed the wood underneath.

The damage could have been done during delivery somehow even though i packe dit well and i don't want to go accusing the guy of damaging it as if it was damaged in the post somehow before he got it it would just p*** him off even more. :bang: The damage really isn't too bad though, about 2 small dents the size of a match head and a scuff about the size of a 10p with a couple dents inside it.

What do you think i should do? I currently have my guitar and his money, i'm thinking for the hassle it's probably best to give him his money back and just put it down to experience. :shrug:

and as a bonus i cut my finger when cutting the brown tape on the package :shake:

Did you take out insurance?

Now you've excepted the guitar back, i'd send him his cash back, it's not worth the hassle, and he sounds like someone who would report you to ebay. Might be worth mentioning the extra dents to him after you've repaid him and try to agree not to leave any feedback for each other.

I think i would of read "as it left the factory" as it being in excellent new condition unless you specifically mentioned the dents, so I suppose if he was a collector he could read it as misleading.

Its a tough call isnt it? You dont know whether the delivery has damaged it, or he just decided he doesnt want to part with any cash this month, and made a reckless attempt at by-passing ebay rules & regs for reneging (sp?) on a deal.

Sorry to hear about it, not been in that situation (yet) - but I guess I'd go for the 'give money back' option, just to placate him.

Yeah, i took out Parcel Force's insurance upto £500
you're thinking i should claim it back from Parcel Force?

Yeah, i took out Parcel Force's insurance upto £500
you're thinking i should claim it back from Parcel Force?

I would try mate, i sold a printer on ebay a while back and when it reached the buyer the tray was broken and the printer body was cracked. When it left me it was well wrapped without a mark on it. I refunded the buyer and claimed for a brand new printer...CASH BACK!!

Cool i'll go down that route, sounds the best for all parties.

What should i actually do as far as the claim is concerned, the guitar is still working and in perfectly fine to use, just with damage.

Can i claim for damage that didn't write the item off? if so how much?

thanks for your help so far guys :)

P.S. i've just sent the money back to the guy via paypal

As a user of Ebay I would expect something describe as 'As it left the factory" as brand new and without a mark, so he has a point. Collectors are finicky things, they rarely use the items they buy as they are only for display. Cut your losses, give him his cash back and re-advertise with a more accurate description. :bonk:

As a user of Ebay I would expect something describe as 'As it left the factory" as brand new and without a mark, so he has a point.

Yeah that was my fault completely and it really didn't come across as how i wanted it to with regard to the specification and not the condition, oh well we live and learn :)

Hope you've placated him. IMHO, the words "as it left the factory" would mean perfect condition to me. You have to be really careful what you put into the description of items.

Hope you win your battle against Parcelforce.

Cool i'll go down that route, sounds the best for all parties.

What should i actually do as far as the claim is concerned, the guitar is still working and in perfectly fine to use, just with damage.

Can i claim for damage that didn't write the item off? if so how much?

thanks for your help so far guys :)

P.S. i've just sent the money back to the guy via paypal

Not sure about claiming for something that is not written off, the printer i claimed for was unusable.

I made a claim by letter to Parcelforce, i'm sure it has to be made within a certain time and i would check this out. It can't hurt to make a claim for any repairs etc that may need to be made.

Now i've gone back over and had a good chat to the guy now we have our property and money back, i wasn't so much in the wrong as i've just checked and I actually said "almost as it left the factory", the guy said that it was pretty close to that that condition if it wasn't for what happened in the post so that's a relief :)

I'll probably just write a formal letter of complaint to Parcel Force saying that i want some sort of compensation as now i won't be able to get as much for it. So fingers crossed :)

I ordered some old Amiga magazines off eBay last week. They arrived a few days ago, and the seller had wrapped them in one layer of brown paper. Naturally it had been busted open by the time it arrived. Looked like it'd been kicked repeatedly around the sorting office floor.

I get sick of telling Royal Mail that their service is ****. But I felt I couldn't leave the seller positive feedback so I opted for neutral instead. It would have been my first negative if the contents had been damaged, which luckily, they weren't.

This was only a few ££ transaction. I'd probably have made more of a fuss if large sums of money were involved.

Back