Ectemnius sp. (solitary wasp). Emergence

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
For the last few weeks i have noticed a little pile of what looked like sawdust on a tree stump in the garden. I have been keeping an eye on it, clearing it, but never seeing anything.
Until this morning

These are what came out went back in came out again and eventually flew off.
I saw around 6 fly away, but there seemed to be more down there.
They look like a wasp type thing i shot a while ago, face wise, but these are just black, might just be because these are just emerging and haven't developed their colours yet or they might not be the same bug at all.
After watching them all day, they have been busy going back and forth.

IMG_20170715_164525_422 by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4691edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4603edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4605edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4608edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4622edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4624edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Very nice work
Any wider shots or a dorsal shot.

Cheers guys, having gone on bwars and a few others, it seems that they are called Solitary wasps.

I tried getting some shots of them returning with prey, man that is difficult. Spent hours, had to change setup to include tripod and cable release as the speed of return and entry into burrow meant I missed every time they popped into the ovf.

Only got 2 that looked ok'ish

IMGP4784edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4777edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4742edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4738edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP4735edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think the first set is wonderful. Very well done with those.

With the prey shots, I think I understand how difficult that is. I spent many hours over several days kneeling in front of a wasps nest in the ground in our garden a couple of years ago. They fly so fast that I had huge numbers of shots with nothing in the frame because they had gone by the time I reacted (and that was with fixed focus). Going in to the nest was almost impossible. Almost all the shots I got were of them coming out, and for these I had an instant's notice because I could see them while they were still in the tunnel on their way out. But there was no warning at all when they were on the way in.

Back