Ecuadorian Hummingbirds

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I recently got back from a two weeks in Ecuador. This included some time in the Amazon, a day trip some Cloud Forest and a week in the Galápagos. I ended up with 7000 photos that I need to look though! Where to even start sorting!

The day trip was to a place called the Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge & Reserve, famed for being a hummingbird hotspot. I think we saw about ten species, and at any one time there must be fifty or so individuals buzzing around the various feeders. As a photographic setup it could be improved* but nevertheless it's a remarkable place I wholly recommend.

* The area of the feeders is largely in the shade but with bits of background that are sunlit. Also while they've found photographic branches to create structures to hang the feeders, there are too many bits and they get in the way (obstructing foreground, distracting background).

Buff-tailed Coronet
by Paul Whitbread, on Flickr

Female Violet-tailed Sylph

Masked Flowerpiercer

Okay, so the last one isn't a hummingbird! (but it is a nectar feeder) Hopefully as I look through Lightroom I'll find lots more actually hummingbirds worthy of sharing.

Absolutely stunning set Paul. I particularly like the dynamic angle on #3.

Colours on the last one are amazing, really nice shot.

Lovely looking birds and very well exposed. No 2 is a bit soft and the composition of all 3 ain't the best, all too central imo which detracts from the overall quality of the images but still stunning little blighters.

Back