Edinburgh Festival and Fringe free for all

Last edited:
Hi Steven, I saw the performers in your first pic. They were singing at the time.
I used a 300mm on a D200 for my pics. The downside is that you get so many people walking in front of you as you need the distance.
This year I asked a few subjects if they minded. No-one did! It helps, sometimes, to say they are photogenic or interesting, as I did with this guy (he was under a red cover to his stall):

DSC_2821a by Ken, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi,

I've asked them in the past and done the street portrait thing as well as candid. I can see merit in both approaches, just can't make up my mind which I prefer though.

Do you not get some odd looks with a 300mm though? That's a big lens to carry around.

Regards...

Hi,

I've asked them in the past and done the street portrait thing as well as candid. I can see merit in both approaches, just can't make up my mind which I prefer though.

Do you not get some odd looks with a 300mm though? That's a big lens to carry around.

Regards...
I'm beyond caring what people think :) (can't say I have noticed to be honest, loads of photographers with all sorts of lenses about)
I like a bit of distance, for background separation, bokeh etc
Edit, BTW, it's a 70 - 300 I'm using.

DSC_2839a by Ken, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another beautiful day on The High Street, still busy but not as many characters about.
There seem to be more at the weekends.
I thought I would try out a lens that turned up on my doorstep today on my D5200.
060 by Ken, on Flickr

065 by Ken, on Flickr

071e by Ken, on Flickr

Looks like rain tomorrow so I'll maybe have a try at wet street photography! B&W and reflections.

Last edited:
That last one gets me every time I see her. I had a conversation with her as I was having a bit of trouble with focus points.
Well, I say conversation but I was the one talking...
068 by Ken, on Flickr

That last one gets me every time I see her. I had a conversation with her as I was having a bit of trouble with focus points.
Well, I say conversation but I was the one talking.

She is not the only one who stays resolutely in character. There are a few others as well who don't react to conversation.

Regards...

Yep, the second pic, that whole crowd never react. BTW, I really like that one.
Most of the performers are more than happy to oblige with a pose. It tends to be the ones doing it for money- most pierced woman and spinning wheel woman spring to mind.
They can be very objectionable, downright rude actually.

Canon V Nikon :)

I was up on Thursday (even bought tickets for a show!) I was looking for you skulking in doorways Ken, but you must have been better camouflaged if you were around that day :D

Didn't take a whole lot of shots but here are some of them.

Edinburgh Fringe 2015 by barrysprout, on Flickr

I was looking for you too, Colin! You and your wee lenses :)

They actually are wee now (y) Gone mirrorless, first shot was with a 35mm and the rest with the 56mm
I was looking for back breakers...

The Fuji XT-1, how are you finding it?
Looking good, BTW.

Been with Fuji X's for a year and a half now. Not looking to change again anytime soon.

Some lovely shots there, I keep promising myself I will go the this event but it falls during the busy time of year with work for me unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing everyone, much appreciated.

I was looking for these Pirates today but they upped and jolly roger'd off!!

Andy

Good work every one, here's a few from me. Olympus OM-D EM-1 with 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R

P8170002_zpsrdfawcuj.jpg

P8170023_zpsieoxbmsg.jpg

P8170040_zpslwizebkb.jpg

P8170007_zpsnijbiaz9.jpg

P8170073_zpsrdrg8trz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you had fun, Andy.
There's that guy in the Predator suit again! He's about 5'3" and stands on a box. Maybe he's a baby predator...

Hi Charles. I'll be going along on Saturday whatever the weather. I'll be at Starbucks around 10ish.
Weather looks to be cloudy all day.
That's fine, Ken.
Will see you at Starbucks around 10 then.

Anyone else thinking of meeting up ?

Yeah I noticed the lack of stature, and, the star war dude is a dudett, nice lady.

Yeah it was cool today.... Lots to see and do...... The video of the acoustics guy was great...... Plays well.... Liked him.

Fireworks night soon, festival fireworks, Should be fun.

Andy

Last edited:
Gives a good flavour of the event ... never been but it looks great fun :)

Looking good folks, doesn't look like I'll get up the high street this year.

Just back from a wee trip up and down The High Street with Charlie. Great fun to be with and good to see how someone else interacts with the subjects.
Charlie:
009 by Ken, on Flickr

He was roped (literally) into one of the acts.

Everyone we took pics of were happy to pose. It's well worth going to.

129 by Ken, on Flickr

018 by Ken, on Flickr

022 by Ken, on Flickr

042 by Ken, on Flickr

A couple from the Nex 6 with the Contax Zeiss Planar 50 1.7 using focus peaking, I was at f2.8
136 by Ken, on Flickr

143 by Ken, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back