Edinburgh from Salisbury Crags

S

stupar

Well it's about time the weather broke and things dried up! With that in mind I decided to take a trek up the Crags for sunset. To be frank sunset was a bit dismal but it was still nice to be up there and admire the view even if it was freezing.
Was quite chuffed when the guy stopped further up the Crags to equally admire the view - time to fire the shutter!!!

All comments welcome and thank you for looking.

Salisbury Crags looking north as the sun sets over Edinburgh. by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the person give the sense of scale here.

Not sure if this is posted for some pointers and ideas(?) If me, that rock face is quite interesting and I'd be tempted to apply some dodge and burn (more D than B) and perhaps warm it up a little. And down below I feel that if the shadows are lifted a little that will create more interest.

Good scene and not an easy composition to create but to me you've pulled it off here.

@Carlh thank you

@EdwardL thank you for your input.
I value all comments good or bad and i am always happy to receive ways that an image could be made potentially better.

The sense of scale was my first reason to edit this photo secondary was trying to maintain the balance in exposure and detail across the image.

I might just re visit it and try as you suggested.
To be brutally honest, if i had been just 30 minutes earlier with my setup i would have caught the rockface with a golden glow across it just before the sun dipped below the horizon. Lesson learned there though:D

That is a lovely picture and takes me back to the days when I used to live in Edinburgh, I do miss those days.

I like it, and I agree about the figure adding scale.

It reminds me of my university days. The Halls of Residence were just below Arthur's Seat, which led to a few ill advised, and drunken, scrambles to the top late at night. We just may have got a bit close to the edge of the Crags a couple of times too...:D

Looking forward to getting up to Edinburgh at some point in the not-too-distant future. Not been since I've been mended. I was too (medical causes!) lazy to make the climbs to the East of the city when we were up there a few years back but have rather more energy these days so feel up to it.

Agree with the timing being a little late, worth a revisit a bit earlier - and taking someone to make the extra climb!

Looking forward to getting up to Edinburgh at some point in the not-too-distant future. Not been since I've been mended. I was too (medical causes!) lazy to make the climbs to the East of the city when we were up there a few years back but have rather more energy these days so feel up to it.

Agree with the timing being a little late, worth a revisit a bit earlier - and taking someone to make the extra climb!

Thanks Nod,
When you are up in Edinburgh feel free to get in touch, happy to join you for a shoot if you fancy it!

I'll try to remember if/when we come up again, Stuart. Not sure I'll be doing the extra climbing though, natural laziness is still here in spades!

Back