Edinburgh street photography exhibition

Robert Blomfield is now old and frail, and no longer up to big public events. His brother introduced this large retrospective and first exhibition of Robert's photographs with an illustrated talk. I hadn't the time to continue on and see the exhibition. Those of my photographic friends who have seen it are very enthusiastic, and recommend giving plenty of time to it, which I'm definitely going to do.

It's a fabulous exhibition,well worth a visit if you are in the area.

There's a great little video accompanying the pictures. It shows he has a huge archive of exceptional images. There is such warmth as well as skill on display.

Last edited:
Ancient thread revival... just to point out to folk in Edinburgh at the mo that there's a free Robert Blomfield exhibition at Edinburgh University Library in George Square. The guy was a master of high contrast black and white. And also gives the lie to the idea that you can't print big from 135 ("full frame") film! There's a video as well, maybe different from the one referred to above?

Ancient thread revival... just to point out to folk in Edinburgh at the mo that there's a free Robert Blomfield exhibition at Edinburgh University Library in George Square. The guy was a master of high contrast black and white. And also gives the lie to the idea that you can't print big from 135 ("full frame") film! There's a video as well, maybe different from the one referred to above?

Hi, I'm up there on 13/09 for a couple of nights, will it still be on then? Can't see any info on their web page. Thanks.

Thanks for the reminder. We live on the opposite side of The Meadows (a large public park for people who aren't familiar with Edinburgh) and it's about a 10 - 15 minute walk. I remember the library well from my own university days!

Hi, I'm up there on 13/09 for a couple of nights, will it still be on then? Can't see any info on their web page. Thanks.
Yes, open 10-6 until 1 October.
Thanks for the reminder. We live on the opposite side of The Meadows (a large public park for people who aren't familiar with Edinburgh) and it's about a 10 - 15 minute walk. I remember the library well from my own university days!
Lucky you! I think it's definitely worth a look. The images are quite dramatic. I've been having a few second thoughts after following the recent discussion about black and white on The Online Photographer blog; IIRC Mike J took a bit of a swipe at the "all black and white" style. But I can't go back for another look. I suspect there are some high drama shots, but plenty of shades of grey as well.

There was a small section of colour photos (Kodachromes, no less), but they did nothing for me, despite Kodachrome being my favourite film!

Back