Editing a LR preset

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a preset which I downloaded, which i really like. The thing is, during the preset being actioned it creates a vignette blur on the outside edges of the image. On some photos this works and on other it does not. I have opened up the preset file in notepad and have not yet worked out how to remove the vignette blur from its list of actions. If I was able to remove this vignette blur in lightroom it would be fine, but I don't think that is possible. Is anybody able to give me any help or guidance as to how I could remove this blurring from the preset?

You should be able to see what changes in a Preset by looking at the various tabs and applying and undoing. Then you can save the different parts of the Preset as separate Presets for yourself. Also if you make a Preset do an undo Preset too. So if you do Presets for Exposure, +0.5, +1.0, +1.5 etc, then also do a 0 (zero) Preset too.

I've seen that the best way to use Presets is to not try to do too much in one go, and that is a trap many sellers of Presets do to give the 'wow factor'. A Preset like that isn't right more than it is, and you end up changing things more often.

If you ever see any videos by a chap called Jared Platt he has a really efficient workflow when it comes to Presets and editing.

Unfortunately even if i go through each development tab and turn it off the blur still stays on the photo so it seems to be unable to be edited that way. Which is why i was asking about editing the preset in notepad.

Unfortunately even if i go through each development tab and turn it off the blur still stays on the photo so it seems to be unable to be edited that way. Which is why i was asking about editing the preset in notepad.

If it's done in Lightroom, it must be able to be undone in Lightroom. As a guess, I'm going to say this is in Lightroom 5 (still on 4 myself, and there's nothing to add blur) and will be something like the radial gradient adding a blur, which should be easy to switch off.

I am using lightroom 4. I will have a search on the internet tonight after work to see if I can find instructions to enable and disable radial gradient. Thanks.

If you can open the plug in in a text editor you should be able to see where the radial vignette is enabled. This should identify which control has been used to make the change

Vignetting is usually in the Effects tab in the develop module. Or it could be the radial effects filter , although I would think this is a bit odd for a general plug in. If it is the radial effects filter you can check by applying the plug in. Then select the radial effects filter ( 5th from the left) and see if a pin appears within the image.

I just checked in Lightroom 4 ( I'm on 5) and the radial filter is not used within LR4. I wonder if it's a LR5 plug in and that's the reason you can't find the tool to adjust it. Not sure if LR5 tools work within LR4, but I have seen some that are effectively undocumented. The multi package option in LR2 ( which was introduced in LR3) is one example

Hmm ... with LR4 I can only think that it perhaps has a couple of Graduated Filters applied, look for the grad filter icon (just above/below the EXIF info on the right hand pane), click it to expand and click Reset. Not sure how else you'd do it in LR4 to actually blur the edges (to darken it'd just be Highlight Priority).

You could try to Copy Settings from an image with the preset applied, in the window which pops up, untick everything except colour/tone/exposure handling options, and paste onto a fresh image and see if you get the effect you're looking for. If so, save current settings as preset in the left hand pane. Don't have LR in front of me right now, so apologies for somewhat vague descriptions!

There are two ways to apply vignetting in LR - there is the vignette slider and there is the lens correction vignette slider.

I have seen presets use the latter, so perhaps that is where your vignette is hiding..

View attachment 9695

Last edited:
LR5 radial filter applies vignette's where you want them which i find useful......

Thank you all so much for the answers. It was the grad filters. I clicked on the grad filter, that then made about 8 buttons appear on the image where the blurring had been applied so simple resetting the filter got rid of all the blurring and now I have been able to adjust my preset to my own specification. Thanks very much :)

Back