Editing on ipad

Edit My Images
Yes
unless i want to do anything major(highly unlikely) im going to try just using my ipad for the small adjustments i use.i initially thought about using Affinity Photo which i will no doubt purchase but realised that LR mobile,PS express and PS Fix are all free and having played with them am impressed.LRM especially has been improved greatly from what i remember quite a while back.
Anyone else use this combo or parts there of and if so how do you find them?

I've got the12.9" iPad Pro and use it for about 70% of my editing, I only really use the desktop now if I'm wanting to print or export the images. I tend to import photos to my desktop and add it to a catalogue which is synched to LRM. I'm then free to sort and edit wherever I am. The only thing I'd like added is the ability to add keywords and tags.

I also have the larger iPad, and an iPad Mini too, both have LRM and Snapseed installed. If I'm looking to do something quickly and upload to Social Media, I use Snapseed, otherwise I use LRM. I like the ease of use of Snapseed, but prefer LRM for doing serious edits.

10.5 for me and since I've got it, not edited anything on iMac - which surprised me a bit to be honest.

I started off with LR Mobile, but more I find I'm using the jpeg version of the image, into Snapseed and that's enough and I think it's a bit better than the Photoshop versions (Fix / Express) at least in the quality of spot healing for example.

I've also toyed with Affinity on the iPad but I'm just not familiar enough with it yet to do anything quickly, and Snapseed does it just as well for the kind of edits I'm likely to do. I'd probably just do it on the PC if I needed serious work.
VSCO is actually quite cool too - not so much for the film simulations - which are okay, but also the fade control, which gives a flat look I like at the moment.

it appears the free version of LRM allows editing of DNG so could convert to DNG then import to iPad to do editing allowing more leeway than Jpeg?

I've recently got an iPad and have been toying with using it more for editing. The quality of the screen is great and I didn't find the size particularly limiting. Polarr is an app worth checking out if you haven't yet. Also, VSCO and Priime are doing a subscription service if thats your thing for about £20 a year offering various simulations, filters etc. I've trialled Priime and quite like it.

I thought about an iPad but I found that when you zoom in - in Lightroom mobile - you don't get the full detail, it seems like the image is downgraded and you don't get every pixel of detail you get when editing a raw image on the full blown version of Lightroom. I found it harder to judge how sharp an image is as you can't appreciate the full detail.

Last edited:
I thought about an iPad but I found that when you zoom in - in Lightroom mobile - you don't get the full detail, it seems like the image is downgraded and you don't get every pixel of detail you get when editing a raw image on the full blown version of Lightroom. I found it harder to judge how sharp an image is as you can't appreciate the full detail.
It depends on how you get the image to the iPad I think.

If you sync the image from Lightroom, then it's a smart preview you are working with. If you load the image directly from the camera kit, it's a raw.

I've recently got an iPad and have been toying with using it more for editing. The quality of the screen is great and I didn't find the size particularly limiting. Polarr is an app worth checking out if you haven't yet. Also, VSCO and Priime are doing a subscription service if thats your thing for about £20 a year offering various simulations, filters etc. I've trialled Priime and quite like it.
yes I have Polerr,its pretty good also

It depends on how you get the image to the iPad I think.

If you sync the image from Lightroom, then it's a smart preview you are working with. If you load the image directly from the camera kit, it's a raw.

Also, in Lightroom Mobile - enable Offline Editing so the full files are downloaded onto your device if you are syncing from your Mac/PC.

Last edited:
I've downloaded LR to my I pad. It tells me I'm on a 30 day free trial. What's the cost after 30 days please?

Its free if you dont mind not having raw development and i think curves,maybe a couple of other things.ive used the free one so far as i have LR but not CC anymore.
I didnt realise you can get standalone LR for ipad,the complete version that is unless you have CC,just to be sure did yu have to DL the trial of LR CC also,if not do you have a link to the full LR mobile non CC version please?

Last edited:
still seems to have bugs, understandable at this early stage but should improve.if it is not to your liking its only £20 so not a big loss

There's an offer on Affinity Photo at the moment, £20.00, I down loaded it earlier this week.

I think Affinity Photo is worth it. Very powerful and will only get better.

I purchased it a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I did.

There is a learning curve, I'm so used to Lightroom and Lightroom Mobile. I've purchased one of the Affinty Revolution courses to help get to grips with it - though there are loads of official tutorials available on YouTube.

Serif are meant to be doing a DAM module for it at some point. In the meantime I'm using iCloud Drive, and Apple Photos for syncing between my iMac and iPad Pro and that works fine.

For the DAM element I'm also keeping an eye on Mylio (used this loads before - it's available for all platforms but needs 'an export RAW/original file' option like Lightroom Mobile), and Pixave (desktop version now available but iPad version nearly finished and will be released when iOS 11 launches. This will include the 'export RAW option' according to the developer).

I love the new tools of LRM but the new layout is stupid. Also, considering how slow the desktop version of LR is, I've had enough of the CC costs.

For £20 for Affinity, I'd go for it.

Last edited:
I think Affinity Photo is worth it. Very powerful and will only get better.

I purchased it a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I did.

There is a learning curve, I'm so used to Lightroom and Lightroom Mobile. I've purchased one of the Affinty Revolution courses to help get to grips with it - though there are loads of official tutorials available on YouTube.

Serif are meant to be doing a DAM module for it at some point. In the meantime I'm using iCloud Drive, and Apple Photos for syncing between my iMac and iPad Pro and that works fine.

For the DAM element I'm also keeping an eye on Mylio (used this loads before - it's available for all platforms but needs 'an export RAW/original file' option like Lightroom Mobile), and Pixave (desktop version now available but iPad version nearly finished and will be released when iOS 11 launches. This will include the 'export RAW option' according to the developer).

I love the new tools of LRM but the new layout is stupid. Also, considering how slow the desktop version of LR is, I've had enough of the CC costs.

For £20 for Affinity, I'd go for it.

This is good to read

I tried Affinity photo on the MacBook and found it quite sluggish although the iPad version looks more promising in that it's aimed at the iPad Pro.

The 10.5 iPad is great imo. I'd love to migrate all editing and workflow etc to that. The screen seems more than big enough.

Well I still haven't used Affinity in anger, but it's interesting to note it comes with a load of "how to use" videos too...

there are some good tuition videos on UDemy about 10 hours worth for a £10,hes a very good teacher and I find them easier to follow than the official ones as he goes slower and I think more thoroughly

unless i want to do anything major(highly unlikely) im going to try just using my ipad for the small adjustments i use.i initially thought about using Affinity Photo which i will no doubt purchase but realised that LR mobile,PS express and PS Fix are all free and having played with them am impressed.LRM especially has been improved greatly from what i remember quite a while back.
Anyone else use this combo or parts there of and if so how do you find them?

Ive more or less stopped using my desktop to edit my raw files. These days i tend to use my iPad Pro 12.9 (have both gens, going to sell the first soon) and with the latest LRM update i can only think of a few reasons to use the desktop app.

I tend to use LRM for Facebook and Flickr, stuff like that, but for print ill use the desktop. There are a few limitations with LRM that does cause me to need to keep the desktop versions. The main 3 are no camera profiles other than the horrible looking Adobe camera standard, and lack of Spot healing and Upright tools. The rest i can live with. I like how LRM will send the raw files back to the desktop so i can change all the Camera profiles in one go, and then they get updated back on the ipad. I don’t do that too often though. I also like how LRM works as an automatic back up of my raw files. You have to have a CC subscription for that though.

It’s Nice being able to sit on the couch whilst watching TV and do my editing, and from what I’ve seen colour wise they are just as acurtate (to my eyes) as what i see on my calibrated monitors. The latest iPad Pro seems very colour accurate to my eyes.

I do have the Pencil but don’t really use it. It feels a bit odd. I also have Affinity for the more creative edits, but I think I’m more inclined to use Photoshop CC on my Desktop as i know it a bit better. Affix year is a fantastic app though, and i will get to grips with it one day. I just don’t need all that power at the moment, and for editing a few or many images i much prefer LR, as with Affinity i think you can only work on one image at a time.

Regarding the quality of images in LRM. There is a setting in the prefs to make sure you are working on the raw files and not the smart previews. I used to find that zooming in 100% would show a degraded image, but since the latest update i now see pin sharp images at 100% (by double clicking on the image in the main window). Im not sure if it’s a new feature but i never had this before. I have noticed that the full res version can take a few seconds to appear sharp. In the past this never happened though.

thanks for that Dave,
unfortunately I'm missing the raw ability in LRM as I don't have CC but still find it useful, whilst AP is £19.99 I think I must buy it ,as its useful to have for the iPad,like you I have the latest 12.9 pro and am really liking it.
is there a CF card to thunderbolt adaptor do you know?

If you get the latest Apple camera conector you can plug a CF card reader in to it and transfer at USB3 speeds. You might have to plug the IPad PSU in to it as well but that's not a bad thing as you can also charge the iPad at the same time.
I use the SD adapter mostly these days, so the secondary card slot on my 5D4 has actually become my main card slot.

If you get the latest Apple camera conector you can plug a CF card reader in to it and transfer at USB3 speeds. You might have to plug the IPad PSU in to it as well but that's not a bad thing as you can also charge the iPad at the same time.
I use the SD adapter mostly these days, so the secondary card slot on my 5D4 has actually become my main card slot.
just had a thoughts think I have a usb to thunderbolt so I could plug my CF card into that ,maybe, will try it first, if not will get the latest card reader for apple.cheers

just as you thought, it won't work lolls do I need just the usb to lightening used with the power supply that came with iPad Pro 2?

if you plug the power end into the usb where does the card reader usb go?

just as you thought, it won't work lolls do I need just the usb to lightening used with the power supply that came with iPad Pro 2?

if you plug the power end into the usb where does the card reader usb go?

Oh well, worth trying. You can use almost any power supply as the power source, its just to power the box and not the iPad. You just plug in to the power slot on the box, and the Cf reader in to the USB port. Of course if you use the higher powered ones you can charge the iPad as well. I’m not sure if ithe quick charge with the 29watt PSU works the same, I've never tired it with mine.

Back