Editing photos help

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm new here so apologies if this is placed in the wrong sub-forum. One of my favourite photographers on instagram, @squarehare, has a really impressive way of editing photos of buildings. I'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me what I'd have to do, in terms of editing, to emulate their style - thanks!

Why not ask him/her?

As above, ask them.

Looks like some sort of LLF style, but couldn't say if it's something they've developed themselves or bought as a preset.

(next time, please provide a direct link to examples..)

Looking at their photos, I would guess...

Desaturate fairly heavily.
Drop the blacks (or add strong S tone curve).
Add contrast.
Reduce temperature.
Remove most of the yellow and orange saturation.

One method would be to reverse edit the photos back to a point where they look natural. Then you know what's been done to them.

Last edited:
Looking at them on the smartphone

His processing appears to be "one size fits all" I.e. no individuality based on (likely?) each images pp "needs". Therefore either a canned preset or one he has developed???

On a personal note, it is not look that appeals to me :(

I suspect she's using a bought-in preset, possibly one of the VSCO Mobile presets.

Looks to me like he's pushed up clarity & contrast, dropped vibrance & perhaps dropped the whitepoint leaving skies slightly grey. Not the prettiest look, but I guess it's a style that stands out a little.

If you want to do this without using a filter, then you are probably going to partially desaturate everything except the greens and yellows, drop the green luminosity a bit, then boost the clarity and contrast. You'd probably want to boost the blacks too, as they're quite stark.

Back