Effective cat repellent?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Anyone know a good one? Some cat has decided to take up home on my bedroom windowsill at 3 am screaming it's head off on a regular basis. The sprays on amazon don't seem to have very good reviews so would anyone know a good one?

A water pistol or super soaker. It doesn't hurt them and they don't like it.
It might take a few days for the cat to get the message.

That's not a bad idea but the Mrs wouldn't like windowsill covered in spikes. I dont want the water pistol route as I don't want the cat to be there in the first place waking me up.

That's not a bad idea but the Mrs wouldn't like windowsill covered in spikes. I dont want the water pistol route as I don't want the cat to be there in the first place waking me up.

What happens is that when the cat learns to associate sitting on the windowsill with getting a soaking they quickly stop sitting there.

Spraying cats with water doesn't always work if they can see you, because they'll probably associate it with 'you'. It's better to ambush them from cover, so it just becomes an association with jumping onto the windowsill.

I suppose you could borrow my wife, aka Cat Magnet, and ask her to have a word. She adopted a feral street kitten she found in Hong Kong and it became a very affectionate pet that lived for 21 years, and seems to be able to communicate with cats on a private channel...

Pepper works for some cats, orange peel for some, chilli/cayenne pepper for some, coffee grounds for some. A shallow trough of water on either end of the window sill if it's too long for a single tray/trough would probably work, as would a few plat pot saucers. Good luck - they're persistent buggers!

A water pistol or super soaker. It doesn't hurt them and they don't like it.
It might take a few days for the cat to get the message.

As long as it's not my cat, who loves water and considers a water pistol to be a fun game. It's not unusual to turn the taps on to fill a sink, turn away for a minute and return to find a purring cat sat in a slowly filling sink with her head under the tap. She is, however, curiously scared of bananas.

Yes, she's a weirdo.

She is, however, curiously scared of bananas.

Our tomcat is curiously scared of Chris Martin (of Coldplay), he especially freaks out at the woohoo bit from Adventure of a Lifetime!

Our tomcat is curiously scared of Chris Martin (of Coldplay), he especially freaks out at the woohoo bit from Adventure of a Lifetime!
Can you honestly blame him?
:D

Put a cat bed on the windowsill.

Ha ha, yes, our cat's won't go anywhere near anything designed for cats; comfy cat bed by the warm radiator? no chance. Stinking pile of my dirty running kit? absolutely. Funny cat toy designed to be chased? no chance. Screwed up piece of alu foil? yes please!

Remote fired camera flashgun? sit it in the window and fire it when the cat starts up.

Remote fired camera flashgun? sit it in the window and fire it when the cat starts up.

Even better if it's like my Yongnuo, with a bright blinking red light in slave mode which acts like an irresistable cat lure. I've lose count of the amount of times I have inadvertently nearly blinded my cat. :D

Even better if it's like my Yongnuo, with a bright blinking red light in slave mode which acts like an irresistable cat lure. I've lose count of the amount of times I have inadvertently nearly blinded my cat. :D

Might be even better to set on strobe so the cat misjudges it's leap off the sill. :)

I have spikes on the garden fence to deter cats as the dog would have them, some wont touch them others walk along them, I do wonder if a grease type stuff would work?

I have spikes on the garden fence to deter cats as the dog would have them, some wont touch them others walk along them, I do wonder if a grease type stuff would work?

Super Glue? Give your dog a better chance :D

Get my ex wife round ,she has the horrible habit of leaving the tumble drier open and not checking before switch on ,the look on the cats faces as she buried them will never leave me :exit::exit::wave:

Back