1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I took this in between sessions photographing red squirrels on Anglesey.

Does this composition work? I've lots more top and bottom and a bit more to the left.

_MG_4168.jpg

This is a fabulous location and i'm surprised it doesn't get more attention from the big name landscape photographers.

2. Stuart Mc

Stuart Mc

Name:
    Stuart McGlennon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I like it, the church might get a bit lost if there's any more space round it. Is it a pano or one frame? Definitely on my list to visit at some point soon

3. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks, it's a crop. I could make the church more or less dead centre but I generally don't favour central subjects.

4. Danny-K

Danny-K

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    i like it, i have seen photos of this place and always wanted to visit. great shot

5. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No

It's a lovely spot but there is a car race track on the headland nearby. It might not be as peaceful as it looks when you do visit.........

6. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Go with the wide aspect. You've got that lovely tonal range and subtle graduation you only really see on clear cloudless days.

I like clear blue skies and their reflection but in moderation otherwise the frame feels a bit smooth.

What I'd say is your horizon is slightly higher than half way. I'd crop a smidge more keeping the aspect the same but taking off a little of the right.

Or extend the crop slightly keeping the same aspect putting a tad more on the top

7. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    To be honest I was a bit disappointed that the sky was so relentlessly clear and the sunset was really, actually, a bit dull. But it was almost completely still so I banged on the big stopper and tried some long exposures.

I'll have a look at the exact proportions tomorrow.

8. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can understand why you would be disappointed but don't be.

The clear blue sky deserves to be celebrated too.

jerry12953 likes this.
  9. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You know what it's like. You hope for perfection and it very rarely happens......

SFTPhotography likes this.
  10. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So keep going until you get it.

Remember you told me in @Steelo thread re the old man of storr when I said it was the best landscape ever of skye that I would get one(s) like that.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/old-man-of-storr-sunrise.650771/

Six months later I managed to get the image(s) I dreamed of and was so enthusiastic about in his thread.

I'll give you your own advice, keep at it, you'll get it and you'll be overjoyed when your vision becomes a reality.

11. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, I think I remember that. I've been in this game long enough to agree with you.

I got some far better photographs of the red squirrels than I ever dared hope for, so I can live with the (slight) disappointment over the conditions at "The church in the sea". Whatever I got there was a bonus.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

SFTPhotography likes this.