1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't forget to change the clocks on your camera equipment!

Dismiss Notice
  3. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of a long-standing member, Just Dave.

Dave Barker was a member of Talk Photography for nearly 10 years, and was a prominent member for most of those.
    A very warm, friendly and enthusiastic member, he spent the largest portion of his time on TP welcoming and helping others.

I'm sure all visitors to this site will join us in thanking Dave for his unwavering support and being a large part of our community.
    Our thoughts are with his family and friends at such a difficult time.

Click here to join in the discussion

Dismiss Notice
  1. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I took this in between sessions photographing red squirrels on Anglesey.

Does this composition work? I've lots more top and bottom and a bit more to the left.

_MG_4168.jpg

This is a fabulous location and i'm surprised it doesn't get more attention from the big name landscape photographers.

2. Stuart Mc

Stuart Mc

Name:
    Stuart McGlennon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I like it, the church might get a bit lost if there's any more space round it. Is it a pano or one frame? Definitely on my list to visit at some point soon

3. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks, it's a crop. I could make the church more or less dead centre but I generally don't favour central subjects.

4. Danny-K

Danny-K

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    i like it, i have seen photos of this place and always wanted to visit. great shot

5. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No

It's a lovely spot but there is a car race track on the headland nearby. It might not be as peaceful as it looks when you do visit.........

6. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Go with the wide aspect. You've got that lovely tonal range and subtle graduation you only really see on clear cloudless days.

I like clear blue skies and their reflection but in moderation otherwise the frame feels a bit smooth.

What I'd say is your horizon is slightly higher than half way. I'd crop a smidge more keeping the aspect the same but taking off a little of the right.

Or extend the crop slightly keeping the same aspect putting a tad more on the top

7. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    To be honest I was a bit disappointed that the sky was so relentlessly clear and the sunset was really, actually, a bit dull. But it was almost completely still so I banged on the big stopper and tried some long exposures.

I'll have a look at the exact proportions tomorrow.

8. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can understand why you would be disappointed but don't be.

The clear blue sky deserves to be celebrated too.

jerry12953 likes this.
  9. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You know what it's like. You hope for perfection and it very rarely happens......

SFTPhotography likes this.
  10. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Top Cat

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So keep going until you get it.

Remember you told me in @Steelo thread re the old man of storr when I said it was the best landscape ever of skye that I would get one(s) like that.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/old-man-of-storr-sunrise.650771/

Six months later I managed to get the image(s) I dreamed of and was so enthusiastic about in his thread.

I'll give you your own advice, keep at it, you'll get it and you'll be overjoyed when your vision becomes a reality.

11. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, I think I remember that. I've been in this game long enough to agree with you.

I got some far better photographs of the red squirrels than I ever dared hope for, so I can live with the (slight) disappointment over the conditions at "The church in the sea". Whatever I got there was a bonus.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

SFTPhotography likes this.