Eilean Donan castle

A thousand times or not it's still an absolutely beautiful shot.

How much shadows have you pulled back. The hills on the LHS look quite heavily pulled back and not at all natural.

I wouldn't have cropped the castles reflection off, seasweed and all.

My main issue is the timing. I'd have waited a bit longer for the lit up buildings lighting to match the ambient brightness of the sky, or for the lighting of the buildings brightness to exceed that of the sky, this would allow it to pop out more.

You've got a gorgeous scene but timing is key.

Like this

_DSC2266 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Or

_DSC2590 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Around 30-50 mins after sunset works well.

How much shadows have you pulled back. The hills on the LHS look quite heavily pulled back and not at all natural.

I wouldn't have cropped the castles reflection off, seasweed and all.

My main issue is the timing. I'd have waited a bit longer for the lit up buildings lighting to match the ambient brightness of the sky, or for the lighting of the buildings brightness to exceed that of the sky, this would allow it to pop out more.

You've got a gorgeous scene but timing is key.

Around 30-50 mins after sunset works well.

Thanks Steve

I understand what you're saying about the hills, but there was a haziness that was partly causing the effect, although the shadows obviously had to be pulled back for this shot.

I've got others with the refection in, and this one originally had a bit more of it. I felt the water wasn't calm enough to make the reflection a feature.

I understand your preference for blue hour shots and letting the floodlighting dominate the photo, but that wasn't the photo I was looking for.

Back