Beginner EL wire for light painting - comparable to LED's? Different effects?

Name
Lea
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've just about got my LED cluster (batt operated Xmas LED lights spread over a 3mtr string - taped into a cluster for spinning to create circles) ready to use for some beginner light painting and came across references to EL wire today. Is one is better than the other for any specific effect? Most light painting sites I've seen seem to suggest LED's are the way to go. Have any of you used EL wire? Is it worth having a play? Why, and what can be done with it that can't with LED's? So many questions :p

Cheers,
Lea

From the play I have had with it you can get some nice effects, not used it much. Here is one I took so you can see. I left the wire in the jar for a few seconds then pulled out the wire to give it the smoke effect.

In this shot I held the wire tight and moved it up and down for around ten seconds to create the flat colour background then held the wire still and at different positions to get the lighter lines.

View attachment 36724

Hi all,

I've just about got my LED cluster (batt operated Xmas LED lights spread over a 3mtr string - taped into a cluster for spinning to create circles) ready to use for some beginner light painting and came across references to EL wire today. Is one is better than the other for any specific effect? Most light painting sites I've seen seem to suggest LED's are the way to go. Have any of you used EL wire? Is it worth having a play? Why, and what can be done with it that can't with LED's? So many questions :p

Cheers,
Lea

I've had a quick look at this stuff before but I'd forgot all about it.:rolleyes:

Looks good, @DpM , the wire in the jars gives a great effect (y) Think I need to buy some, the uses must be endless :clap:

While I'm here @wishmaster, me and Tim (randomwindows) are on about going to a ruined church at Heptonstall tomorrow evening for some light painting stuff, your welcome to join us if ya fancy it :)

Link here>>>>https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ts-thoughts-thread.564822/page-9#post-6852122

Last edited:
Thank you Dean, I'm going to order a starter kit of the wire from one of the websites I've found while browsing. Now that I've seen the results possible, I really want a play with this stuff :)

Phil, I'd definitely be up for a visit like that normally, but I'm on a date tomorrow evening :D Please do keep me in mind for anything in the future though if poss.

Back