Wales Elan Valley.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Tomorrow, in the AM, we will be heading to Elan Valley for a week, staying at The Elan Valley Hotel. To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement, I can't wait. Elan is a special place for me, long story short, I did a lot of soul searching there before deciding to move to Scotland. Being South Wales Valleys born and bred, I know the area quite well but I'm also open to suggestions as to places to visit, in the area of the dams in particular.

I'm planning on visiting the kite feeding station at Gigrin, been there before in pants light, hopefully that will improve next week. I'm also wanting reflection winds for the reservoirs but I don't think I'll get my wish on that one according to the Met office but we'll see. It's a family holiday, the missus, 5 year old Daughter and myself so I have to bear that in mind too but Wifey usually lets me off the leash early doors.

(y)

Good to have a wife like that eh?:):D

The valley running east from Elan village to the Wye valley is lovely. Some of the woodland there belongs to the RSPB but I guess most of the small woodland birds will be lying low and/or migrating back at this time of year. it's nice that you can find inspiration so close to home.

The standing stone at 943 699 (Maen serth) is very evocative and vsisble from a great distance. Fay Godwin photographed it.

Last edited:
For a family day out take the steam railway from devils bridge to Aberystwyth it's has some lovely views on the way and your daughter will too http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/

I stayed at the elan valley hotel a few weeks ago. less than impressed...

I drove from there to devils bridge and that's a hard rd to drive.... I love my driving but a lot of single track rd... some fantastic view on way though...

Back