Electronic shutter BIF

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm about to go mirrorless but wonder if I'll struggle for Birds in flight due to blackout. I have ordered an EOS R6 and thought if I used it at 12fps the blackout would just be more of a flicker. I then wondered if either full electronic or EFC might be a better option. I figured the rolling shutter distortion wouldn't be too much of an issue if these birds were moving in a uniform direction while I panned. I've never used electronic shutter but something I saw made me wonder why. Does anyone have experience of this?

Thank you

Hi Lez
From your picture it's clear that the camera can do this. Is the blackout noticeable compared to a dslr? Do you find it distracting at all?

I shoot with a Olympus omd1-mkii , the camera straight out of the box does suffer from blackouts ,but I have my e.v.f set to be constantly on and it’s Flickr free no matter whether I shoot mechanial or electronic , silent mode,or shock free

Thank you. I have used Fuji for a while but never for birds. I don't do any action on it and rarely use it in anything other than single shot mode.I tried an X-T1 with a 100-400mm lens a while back and found the black out annoying and so have always used a Canon DSLR for anything fast. The Xt3 I now use seems to not have an issue as far as I can tell. I I tried it briefly on high continuous and only notice a slight flicker but it's barely noticeable though as I say I've never tried it for anything. I've only ever used mechanical shutter on it.

I love the Fuji generally and would probably be able to use the 100-400 lens with it but for some reason the camera hurts my hands and I haven't used it for a long time. I have pretty unpleasant arthritis and something to do with clicking the fuji buttons on the back going through menus is painful. I might try some alternative menu setups to see if I can work round it. I'm considering ditching it though for only that reason, and when I saw the R6 it seemed likely to do all I wanted including BIF and I'm hoping the Canon will be easier for me to handle.

I'm trading in the Canon DSLRs for an R6 and will be using my Canon 400mm f5.6 and 1.4 tc on it. I'm trying to discover how much of an issue blackout would be on the R6. I had guessed not much due to my fuji experience then I saw a Northrup video where the wife was complaining about blackout on the R6 so not sure what to make of that hence my question re BIF and mirrorless

Back