Elements 14 help

Edit My Images
Yes
I know this should be quite a simple task but as much as I try, I can't get me head round it.

I want to cut this owl out and put it onto a white background.

I've looked on youtube, tried the lasso tool, redefine edges, ect but I'm wanting a really neat finish and can't get it to look right

I'd like (owt :rolleyes:) to be able to do it meself, but if all else fails would someone be kind enough to do it, I could email them the full size image.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

1024.jpg

Last edited:
Might take a while but by zooming right in to the image, you could do it on an almost pixel by pixel basis. The relatively hard edges along the wings might be possible with the lasso tool but the wing tips will be a problem.

Might take a while but by zooming right in to the image, you could do it on an almost pixel by pixel basis. The relatively hard edges along the wings might be possible with the lasso tool but the wing tips will be a problem.

Cheers, I did try zooming in, admittedly not pixel to pixel but I'll have a go.

So what I'm trying to do isn't as easy as I was expecting?.....( just trying to make meslf feel better for failing :LOL: )

Check out the PIXImperfect guy on youtube - something like this might help
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9p23iffNA

Hiya Chris, thanks for the link

It's taken me a few attempts but think the penny's finally dropped and I've achieved something close to what I'm after, cheers

Nods idea of zooming in a little more helped but the bit I was missing was the add and subtract selection brush for the finer detail :rolleyes:

edit 1.jpg

Edit 2.jpg

Where the edges are reasonable on the subject I simple delete the background with the Magic Eraser tool....in various guises. Then zoom in for any fiddly bits.
I still use Elements 5 but I'm sure things are still the same.
Same applies to the normal brushes if you want a background colour!

PS. Pleased you did it...I'll be a bit quicker next time!

Last edited:
Where the edges are reasonable on the subject I simple delete the background with the Magic Eraser tool....in various guises. Then zoom in for any fiddly bits.
I still use Elements 5 but I'm sure things are still the same.
Same applies to the normal brushes if you want a background colour!

PS. Pleased you did it...I'll be a bit quicker next time!

Thanks Ted, I don't think I've come across the Magic Eraser tool but I'll have a look.

I'm fairly competent when it comes to working with layers but changing backgrounds is something I've never tried before.

I'm hoping to have them printed life size and cut out on sticky backed vinyl so I'm guessing they needed to be on a plain white background, cheers

Reactions: EJB
Using the Magic Eraser tool does actually remove all the background as apposed to colouring it.
If saved as a PNG file the image can be imposed on other backgrounds etc.
We use it a lot for adding bits to posters in a variety of programmes.

Technology has moved on a lot in the 6 years since Elements 14 came out.
This took 10 seconds in photoshop (most of that was the save to png).
NB I've feathered the edges so it will work on white as well as black backgrounds.
Owl.png

Back