Elephant Skin

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Was at a local steam rally today and saw this unique texture on the tyre of an old tractor. At the time I thought it looked quite a lot like the cracked skin of an elephant, and afterwards I found I really liked the way the cracks curve around the edges too. Wish I'd taken a tripod with me as I wasn't able to get the closer bits of the tyre in focus at handheld shutter speeds (I think this was 1/30th at f/4 maybe? at ISO 125).

Tyre
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Nice texture effect ... is that what they call perished rubber, hopefully not going to be on a road anytime soon :)

It sure does. Well seen and capture. Never understood why Elephants don't use Nivea moisturiser.

Very cool idea!

Nice texture effect ... is that what they call perished rubber, hopefully not going to be on a road anytime soon :)

I think the tyres are the least of their problems, I'm sure the only thing holding some of those old tractors together is the paint! :LOL:

It sure does. Well seen and capture. Never understood why Elephants don't use Nivea moisturiser.

Must be a full time job applying moisturiser to an elephant :LOL:

Very cool idea!

Thanks!

Well spotted, I like this image, can't imagine this tyre going very fast or very far so it should be OK,

Never understood why Elephants don't use Nivea moisturiser

They can't get the top off the bottle:D

Pete

Love the shot. I was actually very briefly (until scrolling fully) wondering which bit of the elephant :LOL:

Reminded me of this....

Great idea and really well seen, but as you say, bit of an issue with the closer parts of the tread being OOF. Maybe could have squeezed more iso and hence smaller aperture? Great texture in the cracking patterns, and some would argue the OOF bits enhance the cracks, but for me, it all needs to be sharp . Any chance or a reshoot?

For what it's worth, you don't always need a tripod. I've used all sorts over the years from boxes to people's knees, including my own whilst sat on the floor.

Last edited:
good spotting....

here is the proof

p2 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

Thanks Geof :)

Love the shot. I was actually very briefly (until scrolling fully) wondering which bit of the elephant :LOL:

Reminded me of this....

Cheers Ruth!

Do elephants get spare tyres like humans?

I was also scrolling down and got a square crop of the bottom of the image, it also looked nice.

Pete

Thanks Pete!

Great idea and really well seen, but as you say, bit of an issue with the closer parts of the tread being OOF. Maybe could have squeezed more iso and hence smaller aperture? Great texture in the cracking patterns, and some would argue the OOF bits enhance the cracks, but for me, it all needs to be sharp . Any chance or a reshoot?

For what it's worth, you don't always need a tripod. I've used all sorts over the years from boxes to people's knees, including my own whilst sat on the floor.

Thanks for the critique :) Yes I think it emphasizes the cracks as the main point of the image but I also find them quite distracting! I might get a chance to reshoot this at the next steam really, not sure if the same tractor will be there but I'm sure there will be others in a similar state! I actually shot this on Delta 100 film which is ISO 100 (not 125 as I incorrectly put in my OP), so unfortunately I wasn't able to up the ISO. I debated using an ISO 400 film, but went for 100 as it was fairly sunny. Just a shame that I wanted to take a close up photo of something that was completely dark and black! ha!

Nice shot well spotted

Back