Elephant

I'll start with the bad... As this is a whole body shot really the whole body should be in frame. clipping wings and legs doesn't suit, not convinced that eyes have been shot in focus in the 8/10 shots can see the leg on rhs next to eye which is on same focal plane is not in focus, this may very well be down to the blending done in PS which I'm sure that is pretty time consuming. More work needs to be done on the surface it is sitting on as have clear brush marks makes it look untidy.

View attachment 40969

Now on to the good... Colours and detail in the hairs/antenna are superb being so very vibrant...

Really great work just little bit of tidy up needed.

That's a great bit of work Matt, with some fine detail and good composition. Not keen on the clipped wings and limbs but other than that very nice.(y)

George.

Composition wise it's certainly not to your usual standard Matt. And although I love the colours on the moth I'm not keen on the background colour but thats just personal taste and many will love it. I just find the background makes the image seem a little unnatural and more suited to a studio shot.

Last edited:
Oh come on now! Really!? Even I can see that's not an elephant! Where's the flaming trunk!? :exit:

Seriously though, it's a great image. I have to admit though, it wasn't until Bryn brought up the short comings that I noticed the problems.

Ok, so looking back through the pics, eyes are defo all in focus. The whole body shot would of meant doing a vertical panorama due to the magnification I was working at and not being able to fit the whole subject in frame, one of the downsides to the MPE, and due to the fact that this subject was moving, plus the fact I'm manually stacking these in Photoshop rather than let a program do it for me made it a very very difficult stack indeed, around 2-3 hours work. I agree with the leg thing tho 100% and it is a tad lazy.

I do have more pics including a side on portrait at around x 3 mag and I've also cropped this one in to improve compositions etc.

Thanks

Matt

Back