Elgol outing

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I drove around to Elgol today as most of the DIY at my place is now roughly under control. It was pretty stormy as seems usual at Elgol whenever you go. I was trying to get a variety of different styles of images from the location, so lots of exploring was in order as the showers came down.

#1 The “JCB” or “Joe Cornish Boulder”, in a different sort of composition to usual.
0D83990E-84D9-4623-8047-09314FE42102.jpeg

#2 The JCB in its more usual orientation
94200B41-862B-42FF-BE8E-DED109C4A92D.jpeg

#3 There are some VERY interesting rock formations and weird looking colours.
1CE627E0-36D2-417B-B35A-184CF6E246EA.jpeg

#4 Lovely light. But it didn’t last until sunset, with cloud obscuring the setting sun. Good while it lasted though.
F46BC417-335F-4D14-8307-99B72B7D5AD3.jpeg

#5 Once the tide went out a bit, the river created a nice S-bend leading to the mountains rather effectively.
1C36A821-B9D3-4A6A-A213-1E3BAC91AF7A.jpeg

#7 The clouds behind the beach glowed orange as the sun went down, reflecting in the little river that goes down to the beach.

7A83E4AE-B325-41B6-A108-B2EE8280965E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. #3 is really weird isn't it. There are fissures in the rock, some of which are filled with water, and there looks to be algae or something like it living in there. It does look rather "anatomical" doesn't it :)

A very nice set but number 4 is quality, love it!

I have to go there.

I think a wee sideline as a photo guide would be a nice little earner for you :LOL::LOL::LOL:

As it happens I am building up a very nice set of out-of-the-way locations for just that purpose. Elgol is not one of them - it’s far too popular (though there was only one other snapper there on Sunday afternoon). I’ve much more interested in unusual spots that you’d never normally find if you were just there for a week or two. Also, having alternative locations for different conditions e.g. if the tide is up versus down, or its a south westerly wind versus a north easterly, or if it’s autumn or spring.

All good fun really.

I drove around to Elgol today as most of the DIY at my place is now roughly under control. It was pretty stormy as seems usual at Elgol whenever you go. I was trying to get a variety of different styles of images from the location, so lots of exploring was in order as the showers came down.

#1 The “JCB” or “Joe Cornish Boulder”, in a different sort of composition to usual.
View attachment 299656

#2 The JCB in its more usual orientation
View attachment 299657

#3 There are some VERY interesting rock formations and weird looking colours.
View attachment 299658

#4 Lovely light. But it didn’t last until sunset, with cloud obscuring the setting sun. Good while it lasted though.
View attachment 299659

#5 Once the tide went out a bit, the river created a nice S-bend leading to the mountains rather effectively.
View attachment 299660

#7 The clouds behind the beach glowed orange as the sun went down, reflecting in the little river that goes down to the beach.

View attachment 299661

Lovely set of images and does look like a dramatic and stunning place. Hard to pick a favourite.

PS how goes the wildlife watching from Chez Tobers?

3 &4 are my faves of a nice set

Not knowing the area picture no 1 and no 3 just don't make any sense. There is nothing to relate them to, sorry but that is how I see them. May help a bit if the say where abouts this is, so had to google Elgol to find out

Last edited:
Not knowing the area picture no 1 and no 3 just don't make any sense. There is nothing to relate them to, sorry but that is how I see them. May help a bit if the say where abouts this is, so had to google Elgol to find out

Same here but that's my general viewpoint on these close up style shots. I just wouldn't take them.

A picture doesn't need to make sense. You shouldn't need to know where its from or what its of. You don't need to show everyone everything all the time. Sometimes its nice to get the imagination involved. If we all liked exactly the same thing and thought that was the only thing anyone should show it would get a bit tedious.

Having said all that I rather like number one. Range of tones and layout is lovely as is the balance of light and dark.

I'm happy that people have different views. Personally, I like images of shapes and angles that exclude the wider scene. But I also like broad views as well. This is the magic of photography.

Back