Emerging dragonfly.

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Very lucky today. Went out early and was rewarded with the sight of a Dragonfly emerging from its larval skin. Time scale from the first to last image was an hour and 10 minutes.

Difficult to get low enough to photograph it and I was covered in mud and soaked by the time I had finished. But it was well worth it.

Thanks for looking. As usual comments, good, bad or indifferent welcome.

Four Spotted Chaser

Four Spotted Chaser

Four Spotted Chaser

Four Spotted Chaser

Fantastic set! Watched this myself once and it's an incredible sight - especially watching the wings grow and take shape.
Brilliant! :)

Terrific set Gary, always a great process to observe. I always feel privileged when I see it happen. Getting the aperture right to get a sharp sot without a distracting background is really hard in these circumstances, but these look great.

By the way, if you did't know, it's a Four-spotted Chaser.

Thanks Maria, Robert, Mark.

with these you really have to take whatever background you get. Their hold when they are emerging is very tenuous and I would hate to dislodge one trying to move a few bits of grass, reeds etc. Once it was out then I was able to move some of the more distracting elements but I'm happy to take it as it comes .

Excellent set, well done indeed (y)

Thats a fab set of shots, your very lucky, maybe this year will be my year.
Jealous, well just a tad :)

What an amazing experience and a really great set of pictures to capture it. Very well done indeed!

Back