Emley Moor television mast

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I drove up to Emley Moor a few weeks ago to photograph the transmitter tower. It's something that, as you might expect, can be seen from miles away but this is only the second time in my life that I've been up close (and the last time was nearly forty years ago!).

Yashica Mat 124G
Ilford Delta 400
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 8mins @ 20°

Emley Moor transmitter
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Emley Moor transmitter-2

Emley Moor transmitter-3

Emley Moor transmitter-4

WoW that's massive

It's the tallest free-standing structure in the UK. Apparently it takes 7 minutes to get to the top in the lift (although I suspect it's quite an old lift). The second, metal, mast is a temporary structure that's being used while they carry out work on the main transmitters. It's a little shorter than the concrete tower at just 1,063 feet. :)

Every time I drive round there I always find it fascinating how the heights appear to vary with the viewpoint.
Old one 330m
New one 317m
Very nice shots , I watched them building the new one, I was in awe of the guys working on it when they lowered the top from a helicopter.

Every time I drive round there I always find it fascinating how the heights appear to vary with the viewpoint.
Old one 330m
New one 317m
Very nice shots , I watched them building the new one, I was in awe of the guys working on it when they lowered the top from a helicopter.

I don't think it's a job I could do. I sometimes watch this video if I want to scare myself (and I'm not especially scared of heights!):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INbKYq0G9nU

My main recollection of the mast was the collapse of the old one. My late father in law was in charge of consequential loss for the insurance company and went out to view. I think he might have stayed at my mother's house for the few days he was there.

A bit of a tangent, but the restaurant just down the road is very very good.... But not cheap!

I'm a little disappointed Nige I thought you would of a least climbed to the top to get us all a landscape photo with your really manly Holga ! On another note I think something like that in my back garden would be really useful for my Ham radio equipment, with the added bonus it would give Mrs Badger something to moan about !

Last edited:
Last 2 are fab. Especially with the cyclists. Small details really add up.

Windmills offer a rather high work platform for some maintenance jobs. There was one workman (can't recall if he repaired sweeps/sails or something else) who was extremely hen pecked. The only times he dared answer back (and apparently did so at length to the amusement of onlookers) was when he was safely up the mill and his wife was outside down below. I assume this mast offers similar possibilities.

Having been born and bred in West Yorkshire this giant structure has always just been there on the not too distant horizon, but as it's not necessarily the most publicised of buildings, I've often wondered what other people who live further away think when they can see the mast on their journeys up and down the motorway or railway.
It makes a great subject for photographing at night too.

I'm a little disappointed Nige I thought you would of a least climbed to the top to get us all a landscape photo with your really manly Holga ! On another note I think something like that in my back garden would be really useful for my Ham radio equipment, with the added bonus it would give Mrs Badger something to moan about !

I actually climbed to the top of the second tower by shinning up a guy-cable. I then used a compressed-air grappling pistol to fix a tight-rope between the towers which I rode across on a unicycle. I was nearly knocked off by a swooping eagle midway across, which caused a slight delay in my reaching the other side - a lucky thing as it meant I missed the bolt of clear-air lightning that struck the mast I was approaching! After arriving at the top of the next mast I then fought off some bad guys who were attempting to hijack the tower and broadcast fake-news to the region. After tying up the dozen now-unconcious attackers for the authorities to deal with, I base-jumped to the ground, shooting a full roll of Across II with my Holga during the descent.

Unfortunately I accidentally used fixer instead of developer and ruined all the era-defining shots I'd made...

Last edited:
A bit of a tangent, but the restaurant just down the road is very very good.... But not cheap!
The three acres from memory,the only time I could afford to go there was on expenses,gone are the days

Once upon a time I went up that tower to the equipment room. The view from it is quite something. I remember being at the Three Acres car park, my car key wouldn’t open the car door remotely!

I had to go in to full manual and insert the key in the lock [emoji87][emoji86][emoji85]

PS. I was, when staying there on expenses, good food tiny room but I cannot remember if it was pricey to stay/eat there.

Now I'm impressed Nige although I think with the slow shutter speed on the Holga they may have looked some what like this.

_DSC4120.JPG

plane.jpg

Been up that one, many, many years ago.... As the song says, "you can see for miles & miles"...

Back