Emperor's old clothes...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Another to add to what has been an amazing week for first sightings for me.

Just making my way back to the car after a trip to Chobham Common had yielded little in the way of photo opportunities after the sun disappeared and the wind picked up, when I spotted a movement in the grass just off the path.....

A very ragged but very beautiful Emperor moth female, clinging to a blade of dry grass for dear life. Not the easiest conditions, she was spinning like a top at points, so tough to get shots at all.

She was clearly on her last legs and very weak, and I have the feeling she may have already laid eggs. I'd be very surprised if she made it through the night realistically, but I'm very grateful that she chose that spot to rest in, as it's a species I've been desperate to see. I know that a lot of people breed females to attract males in, so there are lots and lots of photos of this species about, but this was a special find for me. Chuffed to bits.

Emperor's old clothes by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Emperor Moth (Saturnia pavonia) by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Obligatory moth mugshot

"Cracking" set of images Mark, I've never seen one of these lovely things before. Great find & capture.(y)

George.

These are superb Mark! I really like the final first shot best all though all of them are great. The colours and beautiful bokeh are lovely, what lens were these shot on?

Thanks all, I'm still buzzing about finding it!

These are superb Mark! I really like the final first shot best all though all of them are great. The colours and beautiful bokeh are lovely, what lens were these shot on?

All with the old Canon 100mm f2.8, apart from the eyespot shot, which was with the MP-E65. Really lucky to get a few shots to stack, considering the wind.

That really is a cracker of a moth. Enjoy the good times Mark :)

Very nice :) I never seem to find anything interesting lol :(

Nice set. I hate moths but this one does look pretty awesome. Love the first one.

That's cause you carry around a maaahhhoooosive lens. ;)

Cos I keep seeing the same damn things over and over again when it comes to Flutterbys :( Anything that looks vaguely different or new just keeps flying and disappears lol

I did see a snake having a swim earlier though and got some good shots :D will be uploading later.

Cos I keep seeing the same damn things over and over again when it comes to Flutterbys :( Anything that looks vaguely different or new just keeps flying and disappears lol

I did see a snake having a swim earlier though and got some good shots :D will be uploading later.

I've only seen one snake in my 41 years. And I didn't have a camera then. ;(

Swings and roundabouts.

I've only seen one snake in my 41 years. And I didn't have a camera then. ;(

Swings and roundabouts.

Ah well... I don't feel so bad then lol :p

Rarest Butterfly I saw today was the Orange tips which kept flapping away from me every time I saw one! Closest I got was about 3-4 meters which still isn't great at 560mm

Back