Empire

Having seen this image I was inspired to look at your other work on Flickr and must say this is no lucky one off. You have a lot of inspiring images there, many of which I would love trying to emulate. Thank you so much for sharing them.

In terms of human expectations, this looks over-processed to me. Less of nature, more like a Star Wars set. A look beyond the natural.

It doesn't look anything like natural light - it seems that you've introduced high contrast into a low-contrast scene.

Of course we photographers have great scope in how we render things, but at some stage, if we persevere, we might come up against the wall of what it is that we're trying to communicate. We either render what's in front of us directly with a kind of innocence (even if we add an Instagram filter), or we make a work of art. To me this falls between those stools.

What's with those dripping blacks towards the upper left? What do they mean, in overall image terms?

In terms of human expectations, this looks over-processed to me. Less of nature, more like a Star Wars set. A look beyond the natural.

It doesn't look anything like natural light - it seems that you've introduced high contrast into a low-contrast scene.

Of course we photographers have great scope in how we render things, but at some stage, if we persevere, we might come up against the wall of what it is that we're trying to communicate. We either render what's in front of us directly with a kind of innocence (even if we add an Instagram filter), or we make a work of art. To me this falls between those stools.

What's with those dripping blacks towards the upper left? What do they mean, in overall image terms?

I think it's meant to be beyond the norm. The toning rather gives it away - the green curve looks like it's been pulled in deliberately to give that green cast. Suspend reality and just go with it. Personally I quite like it - for a woodland picture that is. It's quirky and different.

Edit - misread top left for right.

Last edited:

It was my intention to make it look like a Star Wars set as that was how I remembered the forest when visiting as a child. The images aren't perfect by any stretch but they have been very popular and more importantly I like them. I think maybe you take photography a little too seriously and try and over analyse images, maybe just chill out and enjoy photography, then you might see some improvement with your own images.

I think it's meant to be beyond the norm. The toning rather gives it away - the green curve looks like it's been pulled in deliberately to give that green cast. Suspend reality and just go with it. Personally I quite like it - for a woodland picture that is. It's quirky and different.

Edit - misread top left for right.
Spot on.

As I said in my original comment, I do come back to it again and again, but it still doesn't really do it for me....... for me the composition isn't great and I'm not keen on the colour balance.........
Cant win em all.

Having seen this image I was inspired to look at your other work on Flickr and must say this is no lucky one off. You have a lot of inspiring images there, many of which I would love trying to emulate. Thank you so much for sharing them.
Thank you very much, Andy

Back