Week 48 Cultural
Week 49 Arranged
Week 50 Male/female
Week 51 Out and about
Week 52 Celebration

Week 0 - Old

old favourites small.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there. I like how you've arranged this to make use of strong horizontal lines. The white balance is really warm but for me this adds to the feeling of old. The Christmas lights bokeh is a nice touch too

Jason has already commented on the use of horizontal lines, I'm glad to see that they are level :)
Your use of DoF works too, with the rear of the tray only slightly oof but the tree and lights nicely blurred resulting in some decent bokeh.
A well put together first shot (y)

Books! You pipped me to the post on that one. I like this, there's a warmth to it that makes you believe someone's about to snuggle up and read them.

Hi there. I like how you've arranged this to make use of strong horizontal lines. The white balance is really warm but for me this adds to the feeling of old. The Christmas lights bokeh is a nice touch too
Thanks Jason - I took the photo by an open fire with lots of candlight as well as ambient lighting. I guess I wanted the wb to reflect the feeling of warmth :)

Jason has already commented on the use of horizontal lines, I'm glad to see that they are level :)
Your use of DoF works too, with the rear of the tray only slightly oof but the tree and lights nicely blurred resulting in some decent bokeh.
A well put together first shot (y)

:plus1:
Hi Emma ....I agree with all the above, a really super start.

Thank you both!

Interesting old books Emma, off to a flying start (y)

Hi Emma - welcome. Sorry for the delayed reaction - hadn't realised that TP52 had started so soon. Lovely image to kick things off and, as others have said, the warm cast suggests a reflected glow from a hearth nearby perhaps. Good start.

I love it. Makes me think of snuggling up with a book on a warm winter's night.

On theme and wonderful books. I'd prefer the bright bokeh wasn't there as i find it a little distracting, also a little orange for me. What WB did you have your camera set to?

Cheers.

Considering the weather we having in the UK this picture really warms me up, great start...

Interesting old books Emma, off to a flying start (y)

Hi Emma - welcome. Sorry for the delayed reaction - hadn't realised that TP52 had started so soon. Lovely image to kick things off and, as others have said, the warm cast suggests a reflected glow from a hearth nearby perhaps. Good start.

I love it. Makes me think of snuggling up with a book on a warm winter's night.

I'll have a glass of port please, homely warm feel to this, well done:)

Considering the weather we having in the UK this picture really warms me up, great start...

Nice photo; I can really feel it; excellent capture of the theme I think

Loving the tones and horizontals in a lovely composition and interpretation - very nice :)

Oooo really liking this Emma, I was with Jason on the white balance until I saw your reasoning, and with it I find little fault in it for me... a great first image, I'm looking forward to the rest of your challenge, you have set yourself a high bar already (y)
Thank you everyone for your very kind comments...but after last night I might pass on the port (and not to the left...or is it the right?!) ;)

On theme and wonderful books. I'd prefer the bright bokeh wasn't there as i find it a little distracting, also a little orange for me. What WB did you have your camera set to?

Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback Andy - I agree it is a very warm image, probably emphasised by the colour of the book cover. The wb was set to tungsten, but I increased the warmth in LR - I wanted to conjure up a bit of the warmth of the blazing fire I was sat next to :) Having the lights in the background was just trying to add a bit of story I guess - time off at Christmas is one of the few chances to get really lost in a book. Especially since I took up photography!

Very arty and very inventive Emma - it's certainly a novel response to the theme and a perfect fit. Where on earth did you come across such a thing? Looks good :clap:

Very arty and very inventive Emma - it's certainly a novel response to the theme and a perfect fit. Where on earth did you come across such a thing? Looks good :clap:
Thanks Carl. I found him at a local craft fair - he was made by an artist from Dorset - Andy Stevenson. He does a lot of great garden sculptures from recycled metal, but I can't bring myself to leave this little guy out in the cold ;)

I like that Emma.
Nicely sharp with a strong black background and very rich blues.
The subject is a very interesting object, I don't blame you for not leaving it in your garden.

How did you light it? Off camera lighting via light painting perhaps?

I like that Emma.
Nicely sharp with a strong black background and very rich blues.
The subject is a very interesting object, I don't blame you for not leaving it in your garden.

How did you light it? Off camera lighting via light painting perhaps?
Thank you Tim. I just had to look up 'light painting' - I am so clueless about lighting techniques. This project and the awful weather has really made me move away from my comfort zone! There was some ambient lighting then I hand held a pocket torch from the right during a long exposure to emphasize the shape. I did blow the highlights on the body though and tried to recover them through pp (or maybe I shouldn't mention that...people might look too closely now ;) )

Reactions: LC2
Thank you Tim. I just had to look up 'light painting' - I am so clueless about lighting techniques. This project and the awful weather has really made me move away from my comfort zone! There was some ambient lighting then I hand held a pocket torch from the right during a long exposure to emphasize the shape. I did blow the highlights on the body though and tried to recover them through pp (or maybe I shouldn't mention that...people might look too closely now ;) )
Well, the highlights were not blown then as you recovered them, just a little overexposed for your liking.
Sounds like you were using light painting technics without realising it :)

I did notice you're using the gnu image manipulation program as the editing tool, how is it these days?

Well, the highlights were not blown then as you recovered them, just a little overexposed for your liking.
Sounds like you were using light painting technics without realising it :)

I did notice you're using the gnu image manipulation program as the editing tool, how is it these days?
I use mostly LR, but I really had blown the highlights so used the gnu program to clone out the last small bright spot I couldn't recover. Cloning is about all I use it for as I find it easier to use than LR for this - just haven't learnt properly yet, I guess.

The right tool for the job is whichever tool you're comfortable with that does the job. Both are powerful in different ways.
You evidently did a good job as I can't spot the cloned area. (Oh god, are we starting a spot the ball competition here? ;) )

Lovely piece of art work, nice processing too (y)

Lovely image. Great texture and the blue is fantastic on the dark background

Hello Emma, i like your image, the dragon is a cool idea to shoot, the framing is nice and the colour really sets it all off nicely. Good luck completing your 52

Last edited:
A super sharp image . Lighting has worked well.

Hi Emma, great subject for "metal", looks like a very interesting piece! The low key lighting suits it very well :)

Lovely piece of art work, nice processing too (y)

Lovely image. Great texture and the blue is fantastic on the dark background

Hello Emma, i like your image, the dragon is a cool idea to shoot, the framing is nice and the colour really sets it all off nicely. Good luck completing your 52

Wonderful colour and texture in both shots - lovely!

Very nice image and interesting item ! the blue lighting adds to the interest :D

A super sharp image . Lighting has worked well.

Super eye caching shot Emma ....a great start.

Hi Emma, great subject for "metal", looks like a very interesting piece! The low key lighting suits it very well :)

Nice dragon and the blue really sets it off.

No meaningful crit from me.

Cheers.
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback :)

Back