Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

Perfect timing Emma. They're a handful aren't they when they get something into their heads. The space on the left just adds to the sens of "not totally in control here!"
Great shot

They're so blooming unpredictable, that they're predictable. As already said, great expressions and well captured.

A very engaging picture, its all been said great expressions, excellent capture

Hi Emma, Up to date with the themes so trying to catch up with the comments now :) Beanos are great lovely bright colours. Great fun shot for attractive, good landscape in the back ground too. Love both of the snail shells, they work really well in B&W. Love the expression on your sons face in power, those timing things are a nightmare would have been great if you had managed to get it exploding. :D

Lovely shot and right on theme! I like the widely different expressions on your children's faces :)

What a lovely shot this is Emma, and Thank you to your daughter for letting you use it. I like the look on your sons face while your daughter gets hold of the pony (y)
Well caught and perfect timing. Love their expressions.
A very engaging picture, its all been said great expressions, excellent capture
Lovely shot and right on theme! I like the widely different expressions on your children's faces :)

Thank you all - the expressions made it for me too :)

Perfect timing Emma. They're a handful aren't they when they get something into their heads. The space on the left just adds to the sens of "not totally in control here!"
Great shot
They're so blooming unpredictable, that they're predictable. As already said, great expressions and well captured.

Haha - my daughter's the horse expert not me. She works locally helping people out in their stables when she's home, so gets lots of riding time for her & my son. This one was certainly more interested in munching on fresh grass than doing what she was told :)

Ha, ha, looks like he's having great fun :)

No real crit, mainly the road taking up quite a lot of the scene.

Cheers.
That looks like "b;**dy stop there you disobedient thing".
Great contrasting expressions, concern and completely unconcerned.
Improvements??? Well, if the pony had been on the road, you would have had a leading line, but that's completely out of your control, so I think great for being in the right place at teh right time, and with a camera (y)

Thanks for the feedback - we did have loads of fun. :D I thought having so much path on the left worked here as it was part of the story of the pony not being where it should have been...!

Hi Emma, Up to date with the themes so trying to catch up with the comments now :) Beanos are great lovely bright colours. Great fun shot for attractive, good landscape in the back ground too. Love both of the snail shells, they work really well in B&W. Love the expression on your sons face in power, those timing things are a nightmare would have been great if you had managed to get it exploding. :D

Thanks for the catch up Georgina :) Maybe the party popper is one for a reshoot...!

Perfect for the "Whoa" theme, thanks for sharing. The boy's having fun. (y)

Hold - lovely shot, with just the right amount of dof. Well done on the timing too!

LOL, that Hold shot is great.
Again its a picture that immediately tells a story and makes you think, the essence of a great shot I think. On the technical side, you have a good use of thirds, a leading line / diagonal from the lane and great eye contact. It's a lovely honest picture.

I actually really like the two opposing expressions, it made me smile....
The boys like, yeah, take my pic, the girls like, bloody horse, come HERE! lol

Perfect for the "Whoa" theme, thanks for sharing. The boy's having fun. (y)
Am I being accused of a shoehorn...again...:eek::D It was a fun afternoon out for all, thanks David.

Hold - lovely shot, with just the right amount of dof. Well done on the timing too!
Thanks Chris :)

LOL, that Hold shot is great.
Again its a picture that immediately tells a story and makes you think, the essence of a great shot I think. On the technical side, you have a good use of thirds, a leading line / diagonal from the lane and great eye contact. It's a lovely honest picture.
Thanks Paul - that's very kind feedback...it was a lot of luck, I think!

I actually really like the two opposing expressions, it made me smile....
The boys like, yeah, take my pic, the girls like, bloody horse, come HERE! lol
Thanks Mark :) My son just thought the pony misbehaving was the funniest thing in the world while my daughter was in charge and not having any of it!

I've never tried photographing smoke before, so went for a straight take on the theme. I used an incense stick and four halogen lamps for lighting - two at each side. I tried a few different lenses and positioning of the lamps, but quickly realised that I needed off camera flash to get enough dof and shutter speed. I'm still waiting for my trigger to arrive and don't have much more time to play this week, so this is a bit of a PABD. Still, I liked the effect of the lighting on the smoke and watching it unfurl through the viewfinder, waiting for interesting moments, was strangely hypnotic and relaxing!

smoke1 by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

smoke2 by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

smoke3 by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well i would say you've done a damb fine job.
The second one looks like a lady dancing and the third one looks like the end of a guitar.

2nd one best of the bunch for me, if you tidied up the smoke at the top it would indeed be very ladylike,
obvious focus issues on the 1st and 3rd but they still look good

I like the soft focus #3 Emma; it does look like a guitar head. Well done. I thought I might try the same sort of thing so thanks for the tips on how to!

Well i would say you've done a damb fine job.
The second one looks like a lady dancing and the third one looks like the end of a guitar.

Smoke, these are great shots imo Emma as really do like them, my choice though has to be the 2nd one. It reminds me of MM curves and flowing blonde hair, very well done too :cool:(y)

I like the soft focus #3 Emma; it does look like a guitar head. Well done. I thought I might try the same sort of thing so thanks for the tips on how to!
Thanks for your kind words :) I'd seen the lady in #2 but not the guitar head in #3 - that's spot on! It's my favourite pattern of the lot, but just too OOF :(

They're amazing Emma. :clap: ... #1 for me ... a little like some deep sea creature. I was studying it last night after dinner with rather a lot of wine, listening to some chill music.

They're amazing Emma. :clap: ... #1 for me ... a little like some deep sea creature. I was studying it last night after dinner with rather a lot of wine, listening to some chill music.

Loving them Em, I was thinking of something similar, not that it matters but I am now trying to think of something else, your shots are very good indeed :)
Thank you so much - I'm really glad you enjoyed them :) @d00d I'm pleased you like the first, it reminded me of calla lilies, but deep sea creature works as well. @Dark Knight I'd love to see your take on these :)

All good, #3 is intriguing due the regularity of the vortices but I really like the light in #1

I used to spend ages doing these. Fascinating shapes to be had.

#3 is OOF but that'll will be solved with practice.

Of the set it's #1 for me, I'd like to see more of the upper section but you have some nice detail in there and it looks like a leaf.

Cheers.

They are great Emma. #1 has a lovely smooth feel to it while I like the blue tint and the curves in #2 and #3 has that great pattern in it, hard to pick a favourite from them.

I'm hoping to have a go at something similar as it's something I've thought about doing a few times but never got round to, I'll be delighted if I get anything as good as these.

This weeks winner by a long way for me.
Love the jessica rabbit and guitar shapes.
I also know how hard it is to light these shots, so I think youve done very well at that too.

They are all good Emma.
I think I prefer #2, the combination of the blue, the abstract shape and the sharpness wins out.
#3 amuses me though, it looks not unlike a guitar headstock.

All good, #3 is intriguing due the regularity of the vortices but I really like the light in #1

I used to spend ages doing these. Fascinating shapes to be had.

#3 is OOF but that'll will be solved with practice.

Of the set it's #1 for me, I'd like to see more of the upper section but you have some nice detail in there and it looks like a leaf.

Cheers.

#2 for me, but all are great!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback everyone - I was feeling I'd really fluffed this one, so it's been good to hear that people enjoyed them anyway :)

They are great Emma. #1 has a lovely smooth feel to it while I like the blue tint and the curves in #2 and #3 has that great pattern in it, hard to pick a favourite from them.

I'm hoping to have a go at something similar as it's something I've thought about doing a few times but never got round to, I'll be delighted if I get anything as good as these.

Hold ...well captured Emma ...your son looks very unconcerned :)
Super smoke photos, it was the theme a few years ago and I loved it, I'm intending something similar but just haven't had time this week yet ...hopefully tomorrow !!
Thank you Steve and Susie - looking forward to seeing your results :) It amazed me how differently the shots came out without me changing much at all!

This weeks winner by a long way for me.
Love the jessica rabbit and guitar shapes.
I also know how hard it is to light these shots, so I think youve done very well at that too.
Thank you so much Mark - that's really encouraging feedback :)

Love all of these, though I think number 3 is my favourite, Just love how the smoke swirls.

Cheers
Kath

Well done Emma. Think 2 is my favourite, reminds me of a dancer:D I know what you mean about the off camera flash, I don't have one either. I ended up with 2 torches balanced on a table pointing through the smoke :D

Smoke shots are addictive and frustrating at the same time, great shots though
They certainly are, but I enjoyed these more than some other set up shots I've done :) Thanks Paul (y)

Love all of these, though I think number 3 is my favourite, Just love how the smoke swirls.

Cheers
Kath
That was definitely my favourite pattern Kath - I just wish it had been in focus!

Liking those emma, the pattern in the 2nd one is excellent. Great work, I must give this a go again myself.
Thanks Michael - one for a revisit for me too I think!

Well done Emma. Think 2 is my favourite, reminds me of a dancer:D I know what you mean about the off camera flash, I don't have one either. I ended up with 2 torches balanced on a table pointing through the smoke :D
Sound very much like my set up Georgina. My trigger has now arrived but it all seems very complicated!

Back