Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

I spent a while today trying out some long exposure selfies on the theme of vivid dreams....hmm... I think I need a bit more practice!

So here is a shot from yesterday's trip out to RHS Wisley Gardens - as we turned the corner the whole family went 'Oooh!' at the sight of these rhododendron flowers so I think it definitely counts as vivid :D

Week 17 Vivid by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Ok...so after a bit more messing about I think this shot is the closest to what I was attempting for vivid dreams. Not very close mind you!

vivid dream (1 of 1) by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Last edited:
both very good for the theme, hard to interpret "vivid dreams" but i do think you have made a good attempt at it,

the path makes it for me on the vivid rhododendron trees, i like the way it disappears behind them

Long time no comment, Em. Some lovely stuff being posted. Your latest is definitely the rhododendrons for me, though I see what you did for the theme with the dreams shot.

The smoke shots are all great efforts too and I'd have no idea where to start for that type of shot. Each one has a different feel to it through the colour and shapes produced. All pleasant to look at and a bit 'rorschach' in terms of provoking thoughts of different subjects and images in your head (well okay, in mine anyway!). Good effort!

Last edited:
both very good for the theme, hard to interpret "vivid dreams" but i do think you have made a good attempt at it,

the path makes it for me on the vivid rhododendron trees, i like the way it disappears behind them
Lol...that was very polite feedback on the dream shot :LOL: Thank you :)

Long time no comment, Em. Some lovely stuff being posted. Your latest is definitely the rhododendrons for me, though I see what you did for the theme with the dreams shot.

The smoke shots are all great efforts too and I'd have no idea where to start for that type of shot. Each one has a different feel to it through the colour and shapes produced. All pleasant to look at and a bit 'rorschach' in terms of provoking thoughts of different subjects and images in your head (well okay, in mine anyway!). Good effort!
Great to see you back Ian and looking forward to seeing more of your work (y) I had to lookup rorschach - I had no idea that was the 'proper' name of those tests. But you're absolutely right - friends and family saw lots of different things in them too!
Great to experiment and you've done well for the dream sequence.

Lovely flowers and nice detail.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy (y)

Two great shots for Vivid Emma, like how you did the vivid dream and think it is a very good take and on theme. My choice of the two has to be the beautiful rhododendron flowers, lovely bright vivid colours, plus like the path swinging round the bend and out of sight (y)(y)
Thank you Dave - it was a beautiful sight :)

The vivid rhododendron bushes for me Emma, I like the purples contrasting with the greens.
Good use of the path leading the eye into the shot too.
Thanks Tim - I'll definitely be back later in the year - it was a great place for photos.

Nice colour, nice pov, leaving us wondering what's around the corner.

(not for the faint-hearted)

Love the colour in the first one, especially against the green foliage. As others have said the path leading out of sight strengthens the image as well.
Thanks Steve (y)

Nice colour, nice pov, leaving us wondering what's around the corner.

(not for the faint-hearted)
Thanks David :) 'not for the faint-hearted' - the colour, the unknown round the corner or the dream attempt?!!

I like your interpretation of 'vivid dream', I was trying to come up with how to capture the same idea, but gave up. As for the rhododendrons, certainly vivid.

Thanks David :) 'not for the faint-hearted' - the colour, the unknown round the corner or the dream attempt?!!

Being RHS Gardens I guess there's little to fear.

I'm wondering if your vivid dream lacks colour. o_O

Lovely bright and vivid purple flower for the theme.

A very different take on the dream shot and I thought you done very well attempting to achieve the theme.

I like your interpretation of 'vivid dream', I was trying to come up with how to capture the same idea, but gave up. As for the rhododendrons, certainly vivid.

Those Rhododendrons are lovely, very vivid. :)

Thanks for the kind comments everyone (y)

Being RHS Gardens I guess there's little to fear.

I'm wondering if your vivid dream lacks colour. o_O

The rhododendrons are stunning at the moment aren't they, and that one is an absolute beauty, absolutely perfect for the theme.
I like the dream idea, but I think d00d is right, it maybe need something a bit more psychedelic.

It certainly lacks something :D I think the idea of more colour is a good one - I only use Lightroom at the moment for processing, so was trying to do what I could in that.. The added colour in your shed shot was fab David and @KathG 's smoke shot...must learn more!

Hi Emma

Great 'smoke' shots. It's unusual to have a complete lack of consensus regarding which is the best shot. #1 for me, although I'm baffled by the formations in #3.
The bushes are vivid indeed, can't really argue with that!

Top marks for your attempt to capture 'vivid dreams' in a photo, I like that!

And with the photo of the rhododendrons you have a backup that's on the safe side. Until you disappear behind that bend...

Hi Emma

Great 'smoke' shots. It's unusual to have a complete lack of consensus regarding which is the best shot. #1 for me, although I'm baffled by the formations in #3.
The bushes are vivid indeed, can't really argue with that!

Top marks for your attempt to capture 'vivid dreams' in a photo, I like that!

And with the photo of the rhododendrons you have a backup that's on the safe side. Until you disappear behind that bend...
Thanks Bernd and Nick - your comments are much appreciated. I thought the bushes were a bit safe too tbh...but I think the other sort of shot needs a lot of practice!

1st one for me on large Emma, you have to view it on flickr to really get a good look at it, nice bit of detail. Have not seen a fly like that though :)
You're right Dave - it's probably not a fly at all - the eyes are very small I guess. I've had a quick Google, but no luck...I like photographing insects but I'm pretty rubbish at identification!

I prefer the first shot, it's cleaner, for me, the bracts break the cleanliness of the shot partly because they look yuck and partly because some bits are closer to the lens and off. If I was going to print one and hang it on the wall, it would be the first. However, both are nicely shot with good detail on the fly and and nice background. Well done.

#1 for me too, I prefer the clean and simple shot!

I like the second because the bracts ;) seem to give it more scale but a slight nit-pick is the OOF one in the middle in front of the focal plane. Both good for the theme though

Second one for me Emma ... I think the 'bracts' give it more indication of size, good thinking for the theme, it's one of those themes that sounds easy, but gets harder when you try to decide what to do!
I had a complete blank for most of the week on this one Susie - just too many possibilities I think!

Both work, nice BG as well, I like the small but large theme.
Great minds Allan ;)

I prefer the first shot, it's cleaner, for me, the bracts break the cleanliness of the shot partly because they look yuck and partly because some bits are closer to the lens and off. If I was going to print one and hang it on the wall, it would be the first. However, both are nicely shot with good detail on the fly and and nice background. Well done.
The first is my favourite too Chris - thank you :)

#1 for me too, I prefer the clean and simple shot!
Cheers Bernd - me too :)

I like the second because the bracts ;) seem to give it more scale but a slight nit-pick is the OOF one in the middle in front of the focal plane. Both good for the theme though
Are you taking the mickey out of my new word Chris? I was hoping to get it into as many conversations as possible this week :D I agree about the second showing the scale more, but I prefer the first.

Both great Emma, but personal preference is the 1st one, nice and simple along with good composition works a treat.

#1 for me. Nicely isolated and lovely green BG.

Cheers.
:agree: #1 in all its simplicity (y)
Thanks all - definitely my favourite too :)

There's not a lot left of Bramber castle, but what there is is quite impressive. It was a Norman castle, dating from about 1070 and this is the remains of the gatehouse tower standing at about full height. It was destroyed as a result of subsidence in the 16th century. I also proposed to my husband here on leap year day 2001...so it holds a few personal memories too!

Week 19 Architecture by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Last edited:
Are you taking the mickey out of my new word Chris?
Not at all, just trying to sound like an expert with a new found word (y)

It's amazing that that piece of architecture is still standing, nicely captured.

Last edited:
An amazing wall and a nice personal story behind it, great angle you have taken it at and nicely framed with the trees

Describing that as a ruin would be a stretch... Great light, great framing and an amazing but of history!

Back