Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

What a great bit of history to see it still standing, a really nice shot Emma and I like the little tree growing at the top :)
Yes...I'd never noticed it until I took the shot :) Thanks Dave.

An amazing wall and a nice personal story behind it, great angle you have taken it at and nicely framed with the trees
Thank you Allan :)

Wow... amazed that thing stands unsupported, good job you had some nice light on the monument/wall, really nicely framed by the trees too (y)
Cheers dean - I would have liked to have been there a little later (this was about 5.30) - but it was the only time I could grab.

Describing that as a ruin would be a stretch... Great light, great framing and an amazing but of history!
Thank you Bernd!

Perfect angle there Emma, you really show it off to its full potential against that glorious blue sky. Amazing that it's stood so long, it just goes to show what amazing builders they were. Lovely memory for you too :)
That's very kind Susie - we have lots of family memories of the place for sure :)

Well caught re-shoot with good focus on the eyes and nice details, including the hairs (y)

I like your Bramber Castle. My Great Grandparents once owned or were landlords of the Bramber Castle Inn Hotel. If you can get the leaflet on the history of the pub one of the photos has their name above the door.
My grandfather earned money by charging visitors to look around the ruins.
This was all before my time, he died in the late 70s, but he always joked about how he once owned a castle!

Excellent reshoot although I find spiders a bit creepy. Plenty of details and Dutch tilt works well here.

I like the framing of the castle remains, although the FG is a bit underexposed. Merging a couple of bracketed exposures might work well on something like this.

Clever macro, shallow dof with focus point in the right place.

Last edited:
Hi Emma,

Large - I prefer #2 with the bracts (new word for me too) as they give a scale to the size of the fly. Nice detail and smooth OOF background.
Architecture - Nice to know a bit of the history and your personal connection to it. I like the foreground in shadow and the light on the wall.
reshoot of hairy - I love jumping spiders and can relate to your excitement of getting a shot of one as I managed my first reasonable one the other week. Well done getting enough DOF to get most the front legs and the eyes sharp.

Well caught re-shoot with good focus on the eyes and nice details, including the hairs (y)
Thanks Chris :)

Lots of lovely detail when zoomed in Emma ....especially those eyes, they do make it look very scary!!
Thank you! Funnily enough Susie I think its big eyes and sticky up hair make it look rather cute (and I'm not a big spider fan normally!)

Reshoot for hairy, like the dutch angle you have taken this at. Good detail and most of all good eye contact too, a great way to help with a spider phobia ( Me ) and well done on it being a first (y)
Thank you Dave...glad I didn't scare you too much ;)

I like your Bramber Castle. My Great Grandparents once owned or were landlords of the Bramber Castle Inn Hotel. If you can get the leaflet on the history of the pub one of the photos has their name above the door.
My grandfather earned money by charging visitors to look around the ruins.
This was all before my time, he died in the late 70s, but he always joked about how he once owned a castle!
What a great story Clive - I'm glad the photo brought back some family memories - thank you for sharing :)

Excellent reshoot although I find spiders a bit creepy. Plenty of details and Dutch tilt works well here.
Cheers Bernd...he's definitely cute though ;)

I like the framing of the castle remains, although the FG is a bit underexposed. Merging a couple of bracketed exposures might work well on something like this.

Clever macro, shallow dof with focus point in the right place.
I did try a merged shot David, but the movement in the leaves spoiled it for me - it didn't seem enough to look purposeful, it just looked messy! The first edit I did had the shadows lifted much more, but it seemed a bit unnatural. I think you're right - it does look a bit unbalanced, but in the end I liked it best after exploring the other options.

Hi Emma,

Large - I prefer #2 with the bracts (new word for me too) as they give a scale to the size of the fly. Nice detail and smooth OOF background.
Architecture - Nice to know a bit of the history and your personal connection to it. I like the foreground in shadow and the light on the wall.
reshoot of hairy - I love jumping spiders and can relate to your excitement of getting a shot of one as I managed my first reasonable one the other week. Well done getting enough DOF to get most the front legs and the eyes sharp.
Thanks for commenting on so many shots Steve - much appreciated! The spider could certainly have been sharper I think - I had one with better focus on the eyes, but the legs were too weak. I just didn't have quite long enough after spotting him to get it quite right. Still thrilled for a first attempt though!

Like the re-shoot. I'm not scared of insects, but when i see them like this, they're a bit freaky.

Architechture is a great shot with a nice back story.

Quite similar to whats left of Berkhamsted castle as well....

Well this is a bit of a shoehorn as the focus of the photo isn't the broken twig...but it was genuinely photobombed by this tiny creature (a couple of millimetres or so long) and I was amazed at its very pretty wings up close. I've been waiting to see if inspiration/luck would strike as the week went on...but no. So here it is.

Week 20 - Broken by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Cracking photo, the stick is broken and the fly gives a good sense of scale, very well done

That's excellent and that little fly has made the picture, great BG too

Well done for capturing the insect, I think it adds a sense of scale to what might otherwise have ended up as a not very interesting photo. Nice DoF and amazing details in the wings and the broken stick!

Nice shot, particularly with the little bug almost like it was deliberate. It definitely adds volumes to the image, well done.

Hi Emma,

Large - Often Less is More, so #1 for me for it's simplicity, the sharpness and the dreamy background.

Architecture - I love old ruined castles. Great detail, nicely framed by the trees and I like the way you've sort of captured a cross with the clouds and trails as the horizontals, the keep as the vertical.

Re-shoot : Hairy - An excelent example of just the right amount of shallow DoF. Great detail, not one for arachnophobes.

Broken - I sense a bit of a theme going on here. Works well in the same way that Large does.

:clap:

Lovely shot regardless Em.... and the stick IS broken....
Well it is broken so good enough for me, plus I like the pretty insect too :)
Cracking photo, the stick is broken and the fly gives a good sense of scale, very well done
That's excellent and that little fly has made the picture, great BG too
Thank you :)
Well done for capturing the insect, I think it adds a sense of scale to what might otherwise have ended up as a not very interesting photo. Nice DoF and amazing details in the wings and the broken stick!
'Not very interesting' was exactly what I was thinking before he landed :D Cheers Bernd :)
Nice shot, particularly with the little bug almost like it was deliberate. It definitely adds volumes to the image, well done.
Thanks Chris - I spotted the stick first, but was grateful for the arrival of the little fellow :)
Hi Emma,

Large - Often Less is More, so #1 for me for it's simplicity, the sharpness and the dreamy background.

Architecture - I love old ruined castles. Great detail, nicely framed by the trees and I like the way you've sort of captured a cross with the clouds and trails as the horizontals, the keep as the vertical.

Re-shoot : Hairy - An excelent example of just the right amount of shallow DoF. Great detail, not one for arachnophobes.

Broken - I sense a bit of a theme going on here. Works well in the same way that Large does.

:clap:
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on so many shots Tim. There's definitely a theme around getting outside with my macro lens at this time of year. I sense a more shoehorning on the way :D

A quick catch-up from me, Emma, as I haven't been around for a few weeks. I loved the spiral and textures on the snail shell, which really suited the B&W processing, Hold has some nice humour in the two different facial expressions while the pony does exactly it wants, and your smoke images are super, especially the second, blue one, which is so delicate. It's something I must try myself, so it was useful to read about your experience.

I like both images for 'vivid', especially the colourful Rhododendron, but your idea for vivid dreams works well with those abstract shapes and colour above the sleeping heads. Architecture is striking, both for the height of the unsupported structure but also the warm light and leafy frame, and the jumping spider image is a cracker with those sharp details of the little hairs and those great eyes. I don't like spiders but this one is almost cute :) Finally, what a fortunate photobomb in Broken! Great smooth background behind the main subject(s) and interesting details in both. Nice work :)

Last edited:
A quick catch-up from me, Emma, as I haven't been around for a few weeks. I loved the spiral and textures on the snail shell, which really suited the B&W processing, Hold has some nice humour in the two different facial expressions while the pony does exactly it wants, and your smoke images are super, especially the second, blue one, which is so delicate. It's something I must try myself, so it was useful to read about your experience.

I like both images for 'vivid', especially the colourful Rhododendron, but your idea for vivid dreams works well with those abstract shapes and colour above the sleeping heads. Architecture is striking, both for the height of the unsupported structure but also the warm light and leafy frame, and the jumping spider image is a cracker with those sharp details of the little hairs and those great eyes. I don't like spiders but this one is almost cute :) Finally, what a fortunate photobomb in Broken! Great smooth background behind the main subject(s) and interesting details in both. Nice work :)
Andrea - thank you so much for your kind words and your mega catch-up...I'm in awe! I'm pleased you saw the cuteness in the little jumping spider - he won me over :) It's good to see you back - looking forward to seeing more of your shots :)

Missed these two...

Re-shoot Hairy - Splendid detail, again spiders, and boy this time good detail again... look at them eyes :wideyed:

Broken - A great idea again, having a subject other than the 'broken' element really adds to this for me, cracking detail again and a lush background, you are doing soooo well Em, I'm liking all your images (y)

Transport, well what can I say, I love it Emma. The little camper van with splashes of water drops on the side as it drives through the jungle of grass and daisies plus I do think it is actually a clever and thought out shot (y)(y)

Wow Em, I just love that idea with the Vdub in the grass, the narrow DoF makes for a fantastic image, that would look great as a print :)

Very nice and good use of tiny DOF...
Thank you! Seems like 5 minutes getting soaked on wet grass wasn't such a bad idea after all.. ;)

Missed these two...

Re-shoot Hairy - Splendid detail, again spiders, and boy this time good detail again... look at them eyes :wideyed:

Broken - A great idea again, having a subject other than the 'broken' element really adds to this for me, cracking detail again and a lush background, you are doing soooo well Em, I'm liking all your images (y)
Aww...thanks Dean - much appreciated (y)

I think thats a great little shot. The daisies add to the kind of 'hippy/flower power' theme often associated with early VW buses. Well done.

Great idea, I like the water droplets and the tall grass and daisies. Very flower power-ish. And great DoF.

Out & about with the macro lens again ... top shot of little insect on a stick, that's ... erm ... Broken. :)(y)

Transport ... Bernd said it ... Very flower power-ish. :clap:

Back