Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

no no non o no...... the mono made me jump back from the screen, IN MY FACE was the first thing i thought as i made a grab for a zombie killer shotgun as i wasn't sure if it was going to spring out of the screen.. (y) .

....note to self... make sure i have :bat: next time i visit Emma's thread.....

That's a great photo that works better in B&W imho.

Definitely black and white, I feel it emphasises the structure and texture more, which is what the photo is about rather than the color. Nice job.

Both look good Emma and although I can see what Allan means about the draw of the subtle colouring, the b&w is more dramatic and looks sharper for it. What an excellent choice for the theme though. :clap:

B&W works best for me for 'Structure' theme but the colour is great on its own. I like that the nearest seed pod is out of focus makes the 3D effect stronger and then having several pods behind it in focus helps emphasise the textures.

much preferring the colour version ... but with just a fraction less shallow dof.

Your whole shot is really nice in telling a story and the pink petel blends so nice. I never thought of structure in a flower or a plant, it really works. :clap:

no no non o no...... the mono made me jump back from the screen, IN MY FACE was the first thing i thought as i made a grab for a zombie killer shotgun as i wasn't sure if it was going to spring out of the screen.. (y) .

....note to self... make sure i have :bat: next time i visit Emma's thread.....
:LOL: Scaredy cat :p

Like both of these, but have to go with the B&W. I like the dark edges in the mono shot and nice lighting (y)
Thanks David - I thought the bg worked well in the mono.

That's a great photo that works better in B&W imho.
Cheers Bernd - hope you're enjoying your exotic travels!

Definitely black and white, I feel it emphasises the structure and texture more, which is what the photo is about rather than the color. Nice job.
Thanks Chris :)

Both look good Emma and although I can see what Allan means about the draw of the subtle colouring, the b&w is more dramatic and looks sharper for it. What an excellent choice for the theme though. :clap:
Thanks Carl.- I think in retrospect a touch more dof would have helped overall sharpness.

Hard to choose Emma I like the subtle shades in the colour one but I do agree the b&w does look better for the theme, so I'll just sit on the fence :) smashing choice for the topic, really nicely done ....macro is fascinating isn't it.
Thanks Susie - I do love my macro lens :)

B&w just clinched it for me. Fabulous composition and bang on theme :)
That's very encouraging feedback - thank you :)

B&W works best for me for 'Structure' theme but the colour is great on its own. I like that the nearest seed pod is out of focus makes the 3D effect stronger and then having several pods behind it in focus helps emphasise the textures.
Thank you David - I liked the 3d look of it too.

much preferring the colour version ... but with just a fraction less shallow dof.
I think you're right David, a touch more would have been better. I went back the next day but it was a bit windy for a reshoot!

Your whole shot is really nice in telling a story and the pink petel blends so nice. I never thought of structure in a flower or a plant, it really works. :clap:
Thank you Shirley :)

B&W makes the better image as the colour shows up the tight DOF more, to the detriment of the image I think.
Great idea tho.

Great pov from above with the very narrow dof, I'm liking all the B&W shots for this theme. (y)(y)

Nice take on Structure Emma I like both versions and like you find it difficult to decided which one I like the best.

whole - lovely vibrant colour against the white background. spot on for the theme too!
structure - i like the B&W image most, it looks almost man made, manufactured out of steel. nice DoF too, makes it feel almost 3D

I like the colour one as I find the OOF front pod more distracting in the B&W version. If the front pod had been in focus I think it would have been the B&W.

Hi Emma,
Colour I think... But I do have to agree with Mandy in that the the focal point may have been better on the central pod.
Thank you both - I wish I'd got one with the front pod in focus so I could compare.

Great pov from above with the very narrow dof, I'm liking all the B&W shots for this theme. (y)(y)

Wow, that makes my eyes go funny :)

Nice, close composition.

Cheers.

Nice take on Structure Emma I like both versions and like you find it difficult to decided which one I like the best.

whole - lovely vibrant colour against the white background. spot on for the theme too!
structure - i like the B&W image most, it looks almost man made, manufactured out of steel. nice DoF too, makes it feel almost 3D
Thank you all :)

You have put together an instantly recognisable routine there, good light and nice DoF

Whole, really like this shot, love the colour against a black and white background, somehow it seems to bring out the delicateness of the flower.
Structure, prefer the colour shot myself, like the subtle colours.
Routine, Brilliant idea, very well executed, transported me back to primary school and short trousers. Top Shot.

Do they still use hand bells in school! Thought they would have gone more hi tech by now...love the shot though, the DOF with enough detail in the back to make out the playground and wall/goal and the frosty table and hat works really well.

You have put together an instantly recognisable routine there, good light and nice DoF
Thanks Chris - I was lucky with the light that morning. It's been pretty dire lately!

Whole, really like this shot, love the colour against a black and white background, somehow it seems to bring out the delicateness of the flower.
Structure, prefer the colour shot myself, like the subtle colours.
Routine, Brilliant idea, very well executed, transported me back to primary school and short trousers. Top Shot.
Thanks very much for such encouraging comments. For all the changes in schools I think playtime has remained pretty much the same :)

What a great Routine shot Emma, really like that you put a hat in the frame too, great focus on that and the bell, with a nice BG. I say teachers are great, only because my school teacher was my Mum :)
That sounds lovely Dave...though I'm not sure my kids would have fancied it!

Do they still use hand bells in school! Thought they would have gone more hi tech by now...love the shot though, the DOF with enough detail in the back to make out the playground and wall/goal and the frosty table and hat works really well.
Nope...still old school on the school playground :) Thank you for the positive feedback Steve.

Structure: I like them both, but i think that the mono wins (just). Great control of dof and light.
Routine: Great light and idea.

Nice compo Em, and bang on theme.
O/T - some nice stuff on Flickr lately too.....

Not a routine Ive had for many years but instantly recognisable, its nice to know it still exists

Really like that Emma take me back (not as far as some :ROFLMAO::p but still takes me back)

Love the composition and DoF really focuses your attention to the bell and hat.

My first thought was morris dancers, a pub table, I know how they like their ale. But no they don't do town crier bells.

However, it's a cool shot, sharp and nicely compose.(y)

Structure: I like them both, but i think that the mono wins (just). Great control of dof and light.
Routine: Great light and idea.
Thanks Dominic - the light was lovely. A bit of luck!

Nice compo Em, and bang on theme.
O/T - some nice stuff on Flickr lately too.....
Thanks Mark - that's very kind. I've been trying to get better at set up shots inside, but really can't wait for lighter evenings (and better weather!)

Nice idea, Emma. My first thought was 'something to do with school' Spot on theme and focus. I like the morning light too.
Thanks Stan :)

Hi Emma,
That picture speaks for itself. Good use of the DoF to have the subject pop from the background and the lighting also directs your eye.
(y)
Thanks Tim - I used my 35mm for the first time in a while - the shallow dof is so forgiving compared to my macro lens I've been using inside a lot!

Not a routine Ive had for many years but instantly recognisable, its nice to know it still exists
Every morning :sleep: ;)

Nice one for Routine and brought back memories from 55 25 years ago :p
Lol...that's good to hear :)

Really like that Emma take me back (not as far as some :ROFLMAO::p but still takes me back)

Love the composition and DoF really focuses your attention to the bell and hat.
Thanks Mark - that's really nice feedback.

Perfect choice for the theme Emma ...I like the inclusion of the hat ...I bet it's a bit nippy on playground duty!
It certainly can be :coldfeet:! I was just a bit disappointed that the frost didn't come out better - it looked so pretty on the day.

My first thought was morris dancers, a pub table, I know how they like their ale. But no they don't do town crier bells.

However, it's a cool shot, sharp and nicely compose.(y)
Thanks David - I'll take the ale but leave the dancing :p

Great lighting on the shot, pin sharp where it needs to be and lovely fall off on the depth of field. Plus of course it's a picture that tells a story, bonus.
Thanks Paul :)

Back