Week 46
Week 47
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

Last edited:
:D How about Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay? Lovely capture Emma, I like the one bird looking down which goes well with your choice of song title.
The idea of the gulls waiting for a boat rather than flying just made me smile :)

Great shot Emma, love the gulls on the rails but the other one on it`s own, good lighting and shadows.
Thank you Dave :)

... or Day Tripper. ; Yes, the one looking down definitely goes with the song title. Lovely and sharp Emma and the mist does enough to subdue the bg yet leave detail to give context. :clap:

Not only is he separated from the others, he's looking down too. Is he afraid of heights or is he going to jump? :D Well spotted and taken!

Hahaaaaa great start Em !!! - love the odd bird on the left :D
Thanks Dean :) Yep - he's definitely looking a bit nervous there!

... or Day Tripper. ; Yes, the one looking down definitely goes with the song title. Lovely and sharp Emma and the mist does enough to subdue the bg yet leave detail to give context. :clap:
Another good suggestion Carl :) I was thinking they must all be scared of heights to be taking the boat!

Not only is he separated from the others, he's looking down too. Is he afraid of heights or is he going to jump? :D Well spotted and taken!
Noooo...don't do it Mr Seagull! Thank you :)

Great shot! As others said it goes well with the title :)
Thanks Aiden :)

Right place right time great shot and start to the challenge.
Thank you! I was surprised at how close they let me get :)

And you have a new star in that solitary seagull. Totally makes the shot and well captured, Em. Looking forward to seeing your submissions this year.

And you have a new star in that solitary seagull. Totally makes the shot and well captured, Em. Looking forward to seeing your submissions this year.
Thanks Ian - yours too. I can't believe 2017 is on us!

Nicely spotted and taken, and as others have said that 1 bird makes the picture.
Thanks Clive - a lucky find :)

:) that one bird definitely makes it Emma, very well spotted, smashing composition with the strong reflections and the misty background.
Thanks Susie - the fog made for a very atmospheric trip to Hampton Court - but it was very cold!

Not heard of the song title either, but it's a great start to the challenge good luck with the rest of it.
Thanks Mandy - and to you, too.

I think the end bird gives a little extra to the link to the song as it looks down along with waiting for the boat.

The idea of the gulls waiting for a boat rather than flying just made me smile
me too, and the one on the end looking nervously down just makes it better.
fun shot for your song choice I like it.

Great find, the bird on the left looking down makes the image work.

Well spotted Emma :D

I too thought Sitting on the Dock of the Bay :p Although the one on the left could be Jonathon Livingstone Seagull wondering if he really can fly.

Good start Emma (y)

'ere, are you trying to nab the shoe horn crown this early in the year? ;)
I too love the way the bird on the left appears to be peering down at the water, almost in fear.
How very dare you?! ;) :whistle: Thanks Tim :)

Well spotted Emma :D

I too thought Sitting on the Dock of the Bay :p Although the one on the left could be Jonathon Livingstone Seagull wondering if he really can fly.

Good start Emma (y)
Haha - nice thought, I haven't read that book for years Jill :)

Nice one, Emma :) I like the way they look as though they're queuing up and waiting for a boat, and also the way the one on the end is looking down, which ties in nicely with your song choice.
Thanks Andrea :)

Well done for fitting a song title to it the seagull on the end is definitely the star of the show

Looks to me like he's bored of waiting for the boat and has decided to swim. Either way, that's a brilliantly timed picture.

Order and chaos indeed, Em! I like the blurry one too for the order/chaos sides to it, but it doesn't half hurt my head [emoji1]

Nice DOF too on the sharp version and of course, both tie in well with the theme.

I see why you like it better its s nice abstract but it does terrible things to my eyes, did you try and diffuse the light, I take it its window light, the real problem is they are very highly lacquered I would have given up i think well done for persevering

Yes, I prefer the abstract version too Emma - makes for a more intriguing image. Love the vibrancy of colours in both.

Yes, I prefer the abstract version too Emma - makes for a more intriguing image. Love the vibrancy of colours in both.

I reckon both you and Em are on something this week....!
Em, that hurts my eyes!

Id prefer the first to be central in the frame tho.

Nicely ordered Emma :) the first one makes my brain hurt though :D

Ha ha ha - don't know what your problem is. A half bottle of scotch down your neck and both our images will seem perfectly (boringly?) normal :p

Order and chaos indeed, Em! I like the blurry one too for the order/chaos sides to it, but it doesn't half hurt my head [emoji1]

Nice DOF too on the sharp version and of course, both tie in well with the theme.
Thanks Ian - a headache is probably not what you need on top of your virus - sorry!

I see why you like it better its s nice abstract but it does terrible things to my eyes, did you try and diffuse the light, I take it its window light, the real problem is they are very highly lacquered I would have given up i think well done for persevering
I probably should have done Allan - but didn't think I'd have much time to get anything else in. It was taken in a light tent with the lights diffused through extra white cloth as well - but I couldn't beat those highlights. Much worse than photographing glass!

Thanks Carl - I'm not too happy with either. It seems so early for PABD!

Yes, abstract for me too Emma but I still think there's another photo in there, it looks like one of those you could spend a whole afternoon on and still only get one decent photo!
I tried so many different arrangements and backgrounds - black, Russian scarf, in a line, in a curve. I probably should have found another subject but ran out of time after so much faffing!

Very nice shot, almost abstract like, I tried a shot we my ones and did not like it, well done :)
thanks Dave - they were much harder to shoot than I thought :(

Em, that hurts my eyes!

Id prefer the first to be central in the frame tho.
Specsavers are going to making a fortune out of me this week! Pity my experiment didn't turn out as nicely as Carl's. I tried a few different crops, but liked the extra space because of the shadows in the end, though I guess they're not as strong in the first..

I'm with you on this Em, much preferring the jiggly image although it does my eyes in after a little while :)
Ooops again :whistle:

Ha ha ha - don't know what your problem is. A half bottle of scotch down your neck and both our images will seem perfectly (boringly?) normal :p
Mine looks like I'd had half a bottle I think!

Back