Energy cost's

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a email from 1st Utility to inform me that my monthly DD is to go up by £11 per month. Once again I have been conned by this company. I did change to Greenstar in March last year but 1st Utitity convinced me to change back to them early this year at much lower monthly payment to what I was paying. So once again, as last time, they have conned me.
Now to make matters worse I am unable to contact them to give them a piece of my mind as their web site tells me that I am no longer a customer.

*WHY* is your monthly payment going up? Have they put their prices up, or have you been using more energy?

*WHY* is your monthly payment going up? Have they put their prices up, or have you been using more energy?

That is what I want to know,"Why"is it going up. The last 3 months we cannot have used enough energy for our existing payments not to cover. I have come to the conclusion that energy suppliers are all thieves and robbers,I thing it's time for the government to investigate them.

The last 3 months we cannot have used enough energy for our existing payments not to cover.

You could have used more over the last 3 months for them to believe that over winter you'll use enough that your payments won't cover it.

Don't forget they try and take 12 equal payments to cover 12 unequal months' usage - if you don;t like this system maybe you should consider paying for your usage rather than by monthly DD

They did this to us- start you on a low DD to snag you in then put it up when they see you're using more than the original DD covers! I've done a lot of research on this and the actual tariffs you pay are all pretty close whichever company you choose, so you have to pay up in the end!
It's all a bit of a con really- I preferred it when we had only one company for each service!

You could have used more over the last 3 months for them to believe that over winter you'll use enough that your payments won't cover it.

Don't forget they try and take 12 equal payments to cover 12 unequal months' usage - if you don;t like this system maybe you should consider paying for your usage rather than by monthly DD

Considering the warm weather we have had over the last few weeks I don't see how anyone could have used more energy to warrant a payment hike!

That is what I want to know,"Why"is it going up. The last 3 months we cannot have used enough energy for our existing payments not to cover. I have come to the conclusion that energy suppliers are all thieves and robbers,I thing it's time for the government to investigate them.
You might start off by asking them why they've increased the direct debit payment, before branding them as thieves and robbers. That is, assuming you'd rather get to the bottom of this. If you'd prefer to rant, carry on, but it won't actually change things at the end of the day.

Now - when you signed up with this energy supplier, either you or they created a forecast of how much energy you would use over the year. They will have calculated the monthly direct debit on that basis. Remember, as @Uneducated_Rick pointed out, the monthly payments will be equal but your energy usage won't be; you'll be over-paying in the summer and under-paying in the winter. For a simple illustration, if you pay £100 per month, you might actually be using £50 worth of energy per month in the summer and £150 worth per month in the winter. So the first thing you need to do is dig out that forecast, or anything you have from your supplier that explains how they calculated the monthly sum.

Next, you need to look at how much energy you've been using over the last few months and compare that with how much you used last year over the same time period. Going back to that simple example where you're paying £100 per month, if you've been using more than £50 worth per month recently then the supplier might think you're going to use more than £150 worth per month in the winter, and suddenly the £100 per month payment isn't enough. So they put it up a little bit now in the hope that it will all balance out over the course of the year. If they don't, they might have to put it up a lot when suddenly you're using £200 worth in the winter instead of £150.

Does that get you anywhere?

Considering the warm weather we have had over the last few weeks I don't see how anyone could have used more energy to warrant a payment hike!

Our electricity bill will be higher this quarter - an electric car plugged in a couple of times a week will do that!

No problems with DD/SO though - I pay quarterly by cheque. Costs marginally more but that's offset by a fast payment discount.

Running A/C or fans 24 hours a day would do it
No AC but two tower fans going. Our quarterly use is massively below normal. Well, according to the smart meter!

Hot water may also be using more electricity if you're using an immersion heater instead of a boiler to heat it.

Thanks for all your views on this.
We have used nothing extra during these last 3 months, no immersion heater(combi boiler), no fans etc. To top it up I cannot get onto my account with these people due to the fact their site defaults to my old account details and not my new account so I have emailed them about this. As we are on smart meters I have not bothered to check on our monthly usage, just trusted the meters to do their job.
Whilst I agree with @StewartR the calculations are based on a 12 month cycle how on earth can they say we are not paying enough per month at this time of the year especially with the weather we are having is beyond me.

As we are on smart meters I have not bothered to check on our monthly usage, just trusted the meters to do their job.
I'm sure the meters are sending in accurate readings. But if you're not looking at them, you don't know how much you're using and you really don't know whether it's gone up or not.
Whilst I agree with @StewartR the calculations are based on a 12 month cycle how on earth can they say we are not paying enough per month at this time of the year especially with the weather we are having is beyond me.
I don't think you've quite understood this issue.

The question is not how much you need to pay to cover your current usage. I'm sure what you're paying is more than enough. But your energy supplier is looking ahead to the winter and trying to judge how much you need to pay each month to cover the whole year's consumption. Apparently they now think you need to pay more than they previously did. There could be several reasons for that, but two obvious possibilities spring to mind:

1. You might be using more energy than you did last year. If that is the case, it's likely that your consumption over the whole year is going to be higher than last year, so you need to pay more.

2. Your seasonal pattern of usage might not fit their expectations very well. If your usage exhibits less seasonal variation than most people, then the supplier's algorithms will get the direct debit calculations wrong. In the summer you'll be using more energy than they expect, so their algorithms will put the direct debit up; then in the winter you'll be using less than they expect, so the direct debit will come down.

Ultimately you will never know what is happening until you take ownership of it. Find out how your previous direct debit was calculated. Read the meters. Look at how much you've been using, compare that with last year, compare with other quarters to see how much variation there is.

It’s also possible that as you have changed companies your smart meters are not connecting to the new company ,a major problem with them I believe .one of the reasons I opted to stay with jock mc’tavishes power company this week

It’s also possible that as you have changed companies your smart meters are not connecting to the new company ,a major problem with them I believe .one of the reasons I opted to stay with jock mc’tavishes power company this week

We did change from our present supplier last year to one that offered better rates but did not use the smart meters, then along comes our present suplier (who fitted the smart meters) and again beat the deal we were on, so we went back to them.
Now as before ,after a few months they have upped the DD and this is what is annoying me.

Whenever I have compared energy prices I have found the comparisons always rely on estimates of energy usage based on house/family size to generate the “BIG SAVING” . When you battle through this and apply actual usage, taken by looking at actual usage from previous bills (I.e. by only using actual readings and not estimates) the savings tend to be much lower and not worth changing to me.

Almost two thirds of the saving that would been made on the last occasion I looked were based on switching from paying the bill in full, to this direct debit averaged game which I didn’t want to get into.

I would suggest you go over the previous couple of years worth of bills and look at the total number of units used, Divide by 12 and see how this compares to the estimate from your supplier. if it looks excessive then Contact them and ask them to justify, based on you using xyz units over the previous 12months.

Also bear in mind that several of the large suppliers increased their rate per unit a couple of months ago...

Also bear in mind that several of the large suppliers increased their rate per unit a couple of months ago...
To pay for the smart meters as already proven in the other threads :D

Back